Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

The Side Effects of Carrying Unresponsive Fetus

Posted by   + Show Post

I have this overwhelming fear that my body won't pass the baby on its own. I guess its because I never went into labor on my own, I'm afraid the same thing will happen and I'll be carrying a deceased fetus in my uterus for weeks on end. By all accounts I still feel pregnant. Fatigue, nausea, etc. I would've been 10weeks yesterday.

I'd like to lose the baby naturally, if possible. So if I wait this out, and a month later, I still haven't physically miscarried, does anyone know the effects that will have on my body?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (11-18):
purfectlilly
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

all of mine passed on their own early but i was told that infection was a concern so my dr ordered lots of bloodwork to make sure my body was back to normal.

Lilly

Mamasita7176
by Susan on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I don't think your doc will let you go that long. But I'm not really sure. Sorry for your loss.

SimplyEnchanted
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Honey, I carried my baby four weeks after it passed away. My baby's heart stopped at 12 weeks. It can take some time. I had no ill effects from carrying the baby that long. They will likely monitor you for infection and you should watch for the signs of infection (such as foul smelling discharge or blood and fever)  I had complications after the delivery but it had nothing to do with the fact that I carried it so long.    I give you big hugs mama. If you want to talk you're welcome to message me

Mama to five beautiful girls-
Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(7), Priya(4)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

MommaBoop922
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I think that doctors have a limit on how long they recommend you go because of the risk of infection which could cause problems not only now but also down the road if you decide to try and have a baby again.  I would try and talk to them and see if there is anything you can do, or maybe have a medication to help pass, and what they feel would be the limit on waiting so you dont do any permanent damage or end up really sick from waiting.  Im sorry for your loss and I hope you can pass everything naturally like you would like.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

two days after being released from the hospital, I found out that cytotec is not FDA approved for inductions, it was marketed for ulcers, and they found out by trial that it induces labor...but not without risk and complication.  They use it because it's cheap...and that's sad that they do not tell us this.  They just use it, and we trust them...I feel lucky that I still have my uterus.  I'm glad you will have some time to really look at your options.  (((hugs))) 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Thank you. I'll look into herbal ways to jumpstart the process. I've been on cytotech, when I was being induced with DD and I still don't know why they give it to patients. I don;t think I've ever heard a success story with that drug.

As if it wasn't emotional enough, I'm sorry you had to go through so much

Quoting Angela4boys:

That's how I felt too, I just needed closure.  I went in and they started the process to dilate my cervix, then the next morning, inserted 1 cytotec vaginally, about 4 hours in, I started having contractions, and 6 hours in, they put another dose of cytotec in, I hemorhaged and was rushed back for an emergency D&E and several hours later passed out and needed a blood transfusion.  Knowing what I know now about cytotec, I wouldn't have agreed to using it.  Since you have time, I'd research other ways of encouraging your body to let go.  My friend had a Midwife that had her using an herbal coctail, and her body did naturally deliver.  I'm really sorry you are going through this. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I think 2 weeks is the max I want to wait this out. D&C's are just expensive and the thought that I have to pay for that....well....I'm sorry but that's not fair. I had typical fears of miscarriage. With my DD I fully expected to see blood almost everytime I went to the bathroom. This time I thought it was just the same irrational fear.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. I feel like my healing can't really begin until this process is over.

Quoting Angela4boys:

I believe the only problem in waiting is the risk of infection.  So you would want to be aware of the symptoms of infection, bloating, fever, pain, etc. 

When I found out our baby no longer had a heartbeat, he had passed about 2 weeks earlier.  I had no symptoms, but I did have a "feeling" that he had passed.  My Mom asked me what I meant, and I didn't know how to explain it, but I just knew, I had a feeling he wasn't alive.  I had also told my doctor a week earlier, and he basically blew me off, and wouldn't check for fetal heart tones.  So when I was at the doctor, they were asking me if I had bleeding, cramping, or "labor" type symptoms, but I had not.  Nothing at all. 

Devious103102
by Priscilla on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

The main risk of waiting too long is infection, but I don't know how long it will be when that takes effect.  Good thoughts sweetie!

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My situation is a little different because I was already pretty far along (found out at 17 week checkup that there was no heartbeat). I tried to let it happen naturally but two weeks went by and my body kept acting pregnant. It became very traumatic, I felt like a walking grave. It was so horrible. I didn't get an infection, which I think is the only medical concern. You also have to consider your emotional health though. Oddly enough the day I finally scheduled a D&C I started cramping and bleeding. This went on for three more days until I had a D&C. By then I was just a mess emotionally and just wanted it over with.

Sunshine_246
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Like they've said. It's just infection and there are a lot of things like vit c etc... You can do to boost your immune system. I was 15 week when my baby died, 17 when I found out, 20 when I went into labor. I took a tiny fraction (cut a sliver off a pill) of the dose of cytotec that was prescribed to me 12 hours before because I disagree with its use. That may have helped a little but my body took care of it from there.
It's all about how you want. You choose. It's important for your healing. I needed my body to do it on its own because even though there was no doubt logically that my baby was gone emotionally I needed my body to show me there was no hope. That fraction of cytotec is even enough to make me question when I am regressing into the doubt stage. It is a difficult time between knowing and the actual passing of your baby no matter how long it is. If you feel you still need your body to do it on its own use this time to come to terms. Go through the grief process. When your baby passes you can then do what you feel you need to to continue your healing whether it's burial, having the dr run tests, etc... Anything you want.
I'm sorry that you are in the middle of this. Please continue reaching for support as needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)