Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Mirena?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have an appt on Monday to have the Mirena put in. Has anyone else had it, and how did you do with it? Anyone who has had it and had a baby afterwards, how long did it take to get pregnant again? Any advice?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purfectlilly
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I haven't had this one. with all of my m/c's we've stayed away from birthcontrol at this time.

Lilly

MIMIBRIE
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I have it now and had it in the past. I conceived within two months of having it removed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingerprincess
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Did you have any issues while using it?

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

I have it now and had it in the past. I conceived within two months of having it removed

MIMIBRIE
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
The first time I had irregular bleeding and this time around I don't have any. I also don't get a period
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peera
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I hated Mirena. Loathed it. Every day I had it in was unpleasent for me. I could feel the Mirena inside me constantly, just enough to bother me. Didn't exactly hurt for day-to-day, but was a minor discomfort I could never really get used to. Sex, on the other hand, sometimes just getting turned on hurt, and when he hit my cervix I was a blubbering mess. The worst for me is that it totally destroyed my sex drive. We're talking, I went from wanting it 3+ times a day to not wanting it at all, ever, for almost 2 years. I believe that it reduced my milk production while I was breastfeeding, and I hit a wall with my weight loss as soon as it went in. If I didn't pay attention to what I was eating, I could gain 10 lbs over the course of a weekend. The final straw for me was that I started having side pains and found out I was developing cysts on my ovaries. I had it removed last year, and all my problems vanished. One of my friends was sick the whole 6 months they MADE her keep it in, and another has been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism that she did NOT have before it went in, and her OB was actually the one who made her take the test after she told him she had had Mirena.

I haven't tried to concieve yet, but the same friend who was sick for 6 months had 3 miscarriages in a row after getting it out, and it took her almost 4 years to successfully keep a baby. Maybe a coincidence, but who can say? 

kit_manson
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I almost died from the mirena, and I also got heavy metal poisoning from it. Many other women have as well. I really wouldn't reccomend getting it (Maybe paragard instead if you really want the iud route..) but if you insist on getting it, insist on it being removed if you notice anything bad happening. They WILL try to make you keep it, even if you're having all the symptoms in the book.

gingerprincess
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thanks ladies, I've done a lot of research and it seems 70/30. But I will definetely insist on its removal upon issues. I have watched several videos, read as much onfo as I can, read 798 reviews, and plan on talking it over with my dr more when I go to the appt.

LilysMommy813
by Heather on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I've heard a lot of bad things about it, but never had it myself. For religious reasons I'm not entirely comfortable with how it works. A lot if women in the TTC group have mentioned trouble conceiving and miscarriages after having it removed. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gingerprincess
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM

It might be important for me to mention that the dr who will be performing the procedure has done it lots of times and is said to have an astounding success rate.

MommaBoop922
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I had the paraguard afer having my dd and it worked well as birth control but my body rejected it so I was always crampy and spotting.  I had it removed after about six months and about 7 months later we started TTC again and I got pregnant right away.  Im currently 33 weeks pregnant.  I know the mirena has the hormones and some women find that it takes a little longer to get pregnant afterwards.  I hope it works out for you! GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN