Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

antidepressants?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
it's almost been a month and a half since we lost the baby and I had my d&c, and i'm still having a tough time. I know it hasn't been that long but something is wrong with me. I was wondering if maybe a low dose of something might help me. I don't know if a dr would put me on something though because it doesn't really hinder me I hold it in all day and sometimes lose it at night when everyone is sleeping or when i'm by myself. Have any of you been put on a low dose of something? If so what was it and did it help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Yes I have before.  Been battling depression most of my life.  Just talk to your doctor, explain your having a hard time and want to see if anti-depressants will help.  Most doctors will give you a low dose perscription.  Also another option is looking for a counselor who can perscribe medications (usually phyciatrists) and they will see you rountinely to see how the meds are working for you and formulate a plan for using it temporary and help you wean off of them when your doing really good again.  I personally like working with a counselor when I'm on meds but its all up to you.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I am glad you posted this. I was wondering "how sad is too sad?". I lost my baby at 19weeks a little over two months ago, and I still cry almost every day. Like you, I cry when I am alone because I feel like no one understands. But its getting to the point where now I can't hold off the crying and I will slip in front of people. I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to tell you that you are not alone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heatherfoutch
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM
all the research I've done says it's really hard to distinguish where grief ends and depression begins. The worst part for me is when my kids catch me crying I feel like i'm letting them down when I can't be strong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Depression can also worsen your grief.  Where you feel its never ending and there is always saddness months and months later and your still having a hard time with everything or its worse.  With grief there should be a time where your getting more good days then bad days or at least close to the same at first.  But with depression it can make every day bad days and it never lets up.  And that is why I believe going to a counselor for grief therapy because they can help you see when its more then just grief.  And many people in loss suffer through depression after loss.  Some can get through it on their own and some people need help with meds and/or counseling.  

When it is impacting your life and affecting how you live negatively is usually when it is also depression.  With grief I think it is always accompanied with depression whether minor or major.  But when depression can be handled well or go away is when at least for me I've noticed my grief becomes more bearable.  When my depression starts up again is when I notice it gets harder to deal with my grief again.  I have been going in and out of depression throughout the whole time I've been griefing.  Both depression and grief can be a lifetime battle and challenge.

Quoting heatherfoutch:

all the research I've done says it's really hard to distinguish where grief ends and depression begins. The worst part for me is when my kids catch me crying I feel like i'm letting them down when I can't be strong

kpnthefaith
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:12 AM
I lost my baby a week after birth, a premie at 26wks sept 2011. I was very sad and cried a lot when I was home alone. I thnk the worst came in dec around the holidays. There were times where I felt so sad I found myself secluding myself and crying. When I went back to wrk in jan it got even worse. I was so sad it hurt. It was uncontrolable, and unbearable. I hated feeling like that and I just couldn't get over it. That is when I knew that I HAD to try somethng and it did help. They put me on zolof but didn't like it too much. Then they tried prozac and I loved it. I could def feel the difference and it also helped me focus more at wrk.

Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofnoah208
by Melissa on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I have never taken it. Maybe make an appt so you can talk about it and see. Thinking of you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)