Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Miscarriage is so complex and getting back on track is confusing :( Any insight please!

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

Quote Like Reply to Post

Hi Ladies,

This is my first time on this group. I have a question, but will first fill you all in on my experience. I had my BFP on Sept. 17th and on Oct. 5th began bleeding and had my miscarriage on October 13th. I did pass my baby in a completely intact sac. I went in on the 15th for a sonogram which showed that everything had passed. I then proceeded to bleed until the 20th (for one week after). There was nothing remarkable during this time. (TMI) Large-ish clots and heavy to medium bleeding. The next few weeks were pretty regular. I had a few days somewhere in there where I had a lot of nipple pain, increased cm. I knew my body was a little out of whack!

Well, during this whole time, I was taking hpts at home to keep track and let my mind rest knowing that the tests were getting lighter. (Contrary to some who say that the darkness or faintness of a line means nothing, I don't agree. All five of my pregnancies the lines got darker the further along I was...) So, with that said, I continued to watch the lines get lighter. And they did, every couple days I would test. On October 26th, I had a test that was neg. Then on November 30th and Oct. 2nd, I had ones that were extremely faint, one would argue they were neg. So, then when I got my "period" on November 5th, I assumed the hcg must be pretty darn low. I had bleeding (which was very normal and like a typical af for me. The last day of it was November 9th. (so it was a five day). Well, my husband and I started ttc about a week before my af, and last night and this morning I took a test and they were both positive.

So, some of my questions are: Why would I still have faint lines on a test? Why would my levels be dropping consistantly then now (two weeks later), have a faint test? Also, can HCG levels rise if something is retained? If something is retained, would I have other symptoms? Also, if I had had a sonogram two days after passing my baby, and it showed nothing retained, could they be mistaken? Does my situation sound classic for someone having retained tissue, or someone who just has super slow level dropping, or someone who could be preg?!

Please if you respond, could you give me answers to what I'm asking? I have been researching like a crazy woman for the last five weeks, about everything miscarriage related, so I am aware of the conflicting information out there. I'm going to list my series of events here below. Thank you ladies for the input! Reading different forums in the last handful of weeks has broken my heart for others, it has given me hope, and it has confused me even more! What a hard road for those experiencing these losses and unanswered questions, and patience being tested.

Sept. 17th BFP

October 11th, ultrasound shows slow heart beat at 80bpm and my hcg levels are at 13,000

October 13th Lost my sweet baby (even got to see him/her)

October 15th, Sonogram showed everything was out.

October 20th, bleeding stops

October 26th (neg test...maybe a fluke.)

October 30th, super faint positive test...

November 2nd, super faint pos, even questionable but on safe side said pos.

November 5th, I get af that seems totally typical.

November 9th, last day of af.

November 17th, faint positive in evening.

November 18th, darker faint positive in morning.

Right now...confused.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
blessedmommie07
My life is busy and I love it!
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
by Desiree on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I had my angel at 38 weeks so I'm not sure.  But if you were still bleeding 5 days after the ultrasound showing everything was out I can't see how they would know that only 2 days after your loss.  

I think you could be pregnant again especially if you had negatives before.  It is said your most fertile after a miscarriage so it could be possible you O'd right after your period stopped.  I O'd around the 9th and after but haven't tested yet, first time was too soon but could test now for a clear yes or no.  Best way to know though is to see your doctor and ask for a blood test to check your HCG levels to see if your pregnant and test a 2nd time to see if their present and/or rising from the first test.  I would test again tomorrow and/or tuesday to see if it keeps getting dark.  But definitely call your doctor that is the best person to help you and answer your questions.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I wish I had some answers for you! I had a D&E, and never had my numbers checked or tracked using hpt, so I don't know. I do know that hormone levels can be wonky after a loss, and also that anytime you have unprotected sex, you could be pregnant...and since our bodies Are out of whack, ovulation could happen at wierd times. I would say to call the doctor, get in for a test.

And as for retained tissue, I would assume that if that were the case, you would have other symptoms, bloating, headache, fever, foul odor, body aches...infection type symptoms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessica11r
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM
It's hard to know for sure. I would go to the doctor and have them test. It could be left over hcg or you could be pregnant again. Sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lady317
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I think you may be pregnant again. I don't know why there would be a surge in hcg like that. Good luck to you, I wish you all the best. 

golther
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I just wanted to say that I had lost a baby almost 4 years ago and I got pregnant with my now 3y/o dd that same month. So if your getting positive tests then you are most likely expecting again.
purfectlilly
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

i think that i have to agree that the best thing to do would be to see a dr. in my experiences, the ultrasound was pretty accurate as to whether or not anything was left. as far as your feeling of wonder/ hope that it could be missed. i experienced that. it took a while for it to sink in that the Dr was right and that my hormones would eventually return to normal. i just wanted my baby, not to hear that we lost another one. but i do hope that you have conceived and that this time will be ok.

Lilly

Zealand2008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Any news??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)