Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy after miscarriage

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hello!  I first joined this group in June 2011 when I had my first miscarriage at 10 weeks.  First let me share my story with you.

I have PCOS and I started using fertility drugs to get pregnant in early 2008 after struggling to get pregnant for more than a year.  In March 2009, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.  By the time she was almost 2, we decided to start trying to make her  a sister or brother.  We again used fertility drugs and learned we were pregnant in April 2011.  At a routine doctor's appointment in June 2011, I learned that our baby no longer had a heartbeat.  It was the most devastating experience of my life.  After a couple of months, we decided to try again.  I conceived again in October 2011, but miscarried immediately.  Even though it happened right away, and we almost expected it to happen, it was still upsetting, so we didn't want to try again right away.  In January 2012, we started taking the fertility drugs again.  I took them every month for 6 months and it got us absolutely nowhere.  After 6 months of taking the drugs, I couldn't do it anymore emotionally or financially, so we stopped.  In September 2012, I made some drastic changes to my diet and lifestyle.  I started feeling much better and lost 22 pounds.  Fast forward to the present, last week I noticed my period was late and a few other *strange* symptoms.  I hesitated to take a hpt for a few days because I have gone through this so many times before, and then felt dumb for thinking I could be pregnant.  So last Wednesday, I ran out on my lunch break and got a hpt.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the plus sign on the test.  I was shaking.  I called the RE that I had been seeing previously and she ordered blood work.  My hcg was 1900 and my progesterone was 8.9.  She had me take prometrium suppositories just to be safe.  I repeated the bloodwork 2 days later (Saturday) and my hcg was over 4000 and progesterone was 16.  So, to reiterate, I GOT PREGNANT ON MY OWN WITHOUT USING FERTILITY DRUGS.  That has to be a good sign, right?  I am also experiencing other normal pregnancy symptoms, like sore breasts, constipation, bloating, general discomfort, etc. 

Anyway, me and my husband are COMPLETELY TERRIFIED.  I know everything looks and sounds good right now, but things could change.  Also, I am so worried because I have been having these sensations in my abdominal area.  Not painful, and you can't really even call it cramps.  More like a tingling/buzzing sensation.  I have also read that this is normal in early pregnancy (I will be 6 weeks Friday) but what terrifies me is that right before we lost the first baby, I was having intense sensations in my abdominal area as well.  Those felt a little different though.  That actually felt like a baby moving.  It felt exactly the same as when I felt my daughter move inside me when I was pregnant with her.  Those feelings continued for a week or two even after I had my D&C.  From what I googled after we lost the baby, what I was feeling was my uterus contracting, trying to expel the baby, though I never had any bleeding.  How did you feel/what did you do when you became pregnant after having a miscarriage?  I am trying to be positive, but part of me feels like I'm waiting for the inevitable.  I really hope this is it.  We have been waiting so long for another child and since God let us get pregnant on our own this time, maybe this is part of His plan.  Does anyone have any advice or encouragement for me?  I could really use it right now!  Thank you.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dani41780
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I really don't have any advice. I just wanted to wish you the best. I just experienced my first Miscarriage 2.5 weeks ago. As much as I long to be pregnant again I'm so afraid of losing another baby. In that respect I can so relate.

Dani41780
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM

(Please keep us updated)

Bandonsbug
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never been pregnant post-miscarriage, but I have had a healthy pregnancy post-stillbirth.  It was at 35 weeks and they couldn't figure out why my baby died.  I was a train wreck through my pregnancy after that stillbirth, and I wished I hadn't been (it's probably normal though).  All I can say is hang in there.  You have tons of support in this group.  It's full of wonderful gals and I am grateful for them all :)

I'll be joining you in the anxiety sometime in the future.  I'm having a D&C tomorrow (I was 10 weeks along).  I'm sure I'll be scared of another miscarriage next time.  It just sucks - understatement of the century.

Angela4boys
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, I am having the same worries. But, keep trying to remind myself that our bodies are made to produce and support life, and even though miscarriage rates are 1 in 5 pregnancies.... That means 4 out of 5 don't! Hang in there... Try to relax and think positive (( hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofcrazypants
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I just lost my first baby 3 weeks ago. I really don't have any advice but I'm sure when we ttc again, I will be the same way. Sending good thoughts your way!

debbie303
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM

i hope everything goes in your favor and you get that beautiful baby.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND STAY POSITIVE :)

purfectlilly
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I've lost two and we're ttc right now. i hope to be in your shoes soon but i can say that I already feel anxiety about what may happen - inevitable if we get a ppt.

Lilly

Irene1923
by Tina on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM
I hope this pregnancy goes wonderful for you. This is my third pregnancy (found out last week)...I had two pregnancies before, both losses. I am thinking only positive and believing this is my rainbow. New pregnancy, new outcome. Take each day as a victory and try not to stress over what can't be controlled. It is hard not to worry though. Wishing you the best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree-admin on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM

*hugs*  I'm sorry for your loss.  Just breathe.  All you can do is think positively.  This could be your rainbow.  But I know its probably hard to bond with your baby.  Keep your head up.

Treasure43
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I also hope to be in your shoes one day soon. I know I'll probably be insanely anxious, but I'm trying to keep the positive vibes flowing and remember "different pregnancy, different outcome".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)