• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone else ever self diagnosed?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 9 Replies
Short version, we have lost two babies in the last year and are expecting our rainbow baby right now. We are 7 weeks today. This past weekend, we started bleeding and passed a few quarter size clots. Well, I have been looking up causes for miscarriage since we lost the first baby in Nov. '11....the second one was totally unexpected. We went in for a routine exam at 14 weeks and found out that the heart had stopped beating. So I said next time we get pregnant, we will try taking baby aspirin and maybe progesterone. Low progesterone can cause miscarriage. We have already had the full work up of blood work, everything came back "normal". When we asked if they check your progesterone levels, they said they normally don't. So we went and bought some progesterone cream from the herbal path store. She put it on right in the parking lot. That was 2 days ago. Guess what? The clots stopped and the bleeding is almost non existant. This may or may not be a fix, but if it something this easy, and its known to cause m/c, why wouldn't that be the FIRST thing they check? She had her hcg levels checked yesterday and is going in tomorrow or Thursday to do it again to see if they are going up or not. Then we go to the doctor on Friday to see the midwife. Has anyone else had to do progesterone suppositories or cream or pills? Is it one of the first things they checked? What was your experience with progesterone?
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Devious103102
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had no experience with it either way (I've suggested it to one doc and basically got laughed at) but I will be trying some sort of prog if we do get preg before hubs deploys.  GL and I hope it helped/helps!

EAzizM
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Progesterone supplements and creams are kind of tricky. I took them and i still miscarried. They are also known to delay the miscarriage process (if you are miscarrying for other reasons, such as a chromosome abnormality). My levels were really low and next time i get pregnant, that is the first thing that will be checked so we can do shots or something.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I know nothing about this, but I have a threatened miscarriage for a few days she just lost the baby this morning... But her midwife recommended progesterone suppositories am vitamin E. A girl in our DD group had a threatened miscarriage and in addition to progesterone suppositories her midwife recommended vitamin C, red raspberry and nettle tea, and something called false unicorn root. All that probably sounds like a foreign language... Maybe look into some of those things, and Good luck!
momofcrazypants
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM

No, I don't know too much about the supplements. Is there any way you could have the doc or midwife run a Progesterone on you to see if the levels are low? Wishing you the best of luck!

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

They wont check my progesterone, but pretty much agreed if I wanted to they would give me the suppositories when we get preggo.

Good luck!!

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I personally would not self-diagnose. Your doctors can order the bloodwork and prescriptions if needed. I've had 4 miscarriages and I am 11.2 weeks pregnant. I've also had all the bloodwork done and nothing came back wrong.

This is my theory. I have gotten pregnant EVERY time I have given myself the chance. First try, never fail. I am also hoping (probably unrealistically) that because with my last loss I was forced into a DNE after the placenta wouldn't come out and I was hemhorraging that perhaps the cells rejuvinated and they grabbed a healthy little baby this time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/cause-of-miscarriage-super-fertile_n_1836384.html

iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yes, I was on progestrone pills with my last pregnancy.  With my first loss they check my P and said it was okay.  When I got pregnant with my Lily they also checked my progestron and said it was on the low side of normal, and gave me the pills.  I still lost that pregnancy, but it was a lot later (19weeks) and unlikely to have anything to do with the miscarriage.  We also suffer a chromosomal abnormality so its hard to tell why we are losing babies.  Good luck and I personally don't think a little progestron will hurt, only help

mommyofnoah208
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I am not sure. I would have them watching numbers and checking. Good luck!
Mommy4Clara
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok, #1 - switch doctors!!!

You NEED to have progesterone checked, especially after 2 losses.  I went in for a 12 week routine check up and found that my baby's heart had just stopped - like your 2nd loss.  I have since found out that I have low testosterone due to polycystic ovarian syndrome. However, YES, I self-diagnosed because I had to show my doctor my lab results with low progesterone - she completely missed it.  We have to be our own advocates for health because doctors aren't paying attention....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)