Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Naming the baby after a M/C.

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was only a few weeks along when the baby stopped growing.  I thought I was 9 weeks when I got the news.  I'd like to name the baby but I don't know if that's silly to do so.... Especially when I was so early on. 

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Its not silly.  My loss was 3rd trimester but there are quite a few in here who named their early losses.  If you feel the need then do what you feel is right to you.  Doesn't matter what anyone thinks but you.

Treasure43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I finally named our baby a gender neutral name. It really helped me feel some closure.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Not silly at all, it's your baby. Many people go with their gut instinct as for gender and names, an some people choose gender neutral names.

I find it really helpful to my family to have a name to refer to our baby as instead of just calling him " the baby"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bandonsbug
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I named my stillborn daughter, but that was during the gender ultrasound before we knew we would lose her.  I'm not naming the baby I just lost because to me, it died before it really had a chance to begin its life (died between 6&8 wks, D&C @ 11wks).  It's easier for me to think it was a spirit trying to join our family in a body that wasn't ready for it yet.  If you want to name your baby, there's nothing wrong with that.  I think it's a precious thing that really can help some women and their families find closure.

jacksmom3707
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

We said a few times that we wanted to name it Norah if it was a girl so my lost angel will always be Norah to me.

Treasure43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Quoting Bandonsbug:

I named my stillborn daughter, but that was during the gender ultrasound before we knew we would lose her.  I'm not naming the baby I just lost because to me, it died before it really had a chance to begin its life (died between 6&8 wks, D&C @ 11wks).  It's easier for me to think it was a spirit trying to join our family in a body that wasn't ready for it yet.  If you want to name your baby, there's nothing wrong with that.  I think it's a precious thing that really can help some women and their families find closure.

I find your idea of the spirit trying to join your family in a body that wasn't ready for it yet comforting :)

tuckermum
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM
We lost our baby at 11 weeks almost 12 I had a gut feeling our baby was a boy so we named him josiah. Giving our angel baby a named helped with the pain a little. Im so sorry for your loss. I think it is a great idea to name your sweet angel baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

We named our first loss a few weeks after she passed.  I was 9 weeks so I had no way of knowing if it was a boy or girl, but my gut said girl.  We named the baby Dani Jane.  Dani because he daddy is Daniel and Jane like Jane Doe for all the things we will never know about her.  My second loss was at 19 weeks, so we knew it was a little girl.  Saying their names really helps me feel connected to them.  Plus after reading Heaven is for Real I didn't want to get to Heaven and have to hunt up so "no named" baby because I know there will be many babies there waiting for parents.  Name your baby if it feels right to you... or just give it a nick name like whatever you called it when it was inside you "Jelly Bean"  "Tadpole" whatever makes you happy.

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM

It's not silly at all hun alot of ladies in this group have done it even those who have had an early loss. 

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Totally not silly. We picked a gender neutral name as well, August, but I have this gut feeling it was another boy. I was almost 17w when we found out that the baby had passed and they are even estimating that it may have been for about 2w. I needed to name the baby, had to. It bothered me to pieces those few days after our loss that we hadn't decided on a name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)