Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I get some answers.

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey ladies its been a while. I decided to see if anyone else has gone through the same thing. I had a mc in april of 2011. I had a d and c done.  A week later I ended up bleeding out for about eight hours in the ER.  I have been trying to concieve since then no luck but I wanted to see is there any test that I can ask my doctor to perform to see if that  operation left any time of scarring that is not letting me get pregnant.  You hear of cases all the time about things going wrong. Does anyone know what can I ask the doctor to perform on me to really know if I will be able to concieve again? Please any input will be very helpful. Thanks ladies.

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Does the doctor know you have been ttc with no luck? That is where I would start. I would go to the doctor and tell him or her that it's been over a year, you aren't pregnant and you need some answers as to why. We only have so many years of fertility, you don't want to let them waste away. If the doctor isn't receptive, find a new doctor, and so on til you find one that takes you seriously. So sorry you are going through this ((( hugs)))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Treasure43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

The first step is to get to the doctor. They can run blood tests and see if anything is off. I believe that's where they start. Then they'll go from there.

mrskathleen
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

sHE SAID IT ALL..GOOD LUCK

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I agree with the other ladies I would talk to your doctor because a lot of times they will start to run test if you have been ttc for over a year with no success. 

feralkitten
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM

you may just need a little help. so worth talking to your dr get everything checked and then they can give you a little fertilty help 

there a few tips you can do yourself 

1. You probably don't ovulate on day 14 of your cycle. The day 14 statistic is nothing but a generalization. It's like saying every woman wears a size 8. We don't all wear a size 8, and we don't all ovulate on the same day. Some women (myself included) know when we ovulate based on the mid-cycle cramps, also knows as Mittelschmerz. You can also chart your temps known as BBT (basal body temps with a basal thermometer) and look for the temperature shift.

2. It takes more than one sperm to get pregnant. Technically speaking, it does only take one. The catch is that because the vaginal lining can be so hostile and dangerous to sperm, it takes millions of sperm to die and pave the way for the one sperm that makes it there. According to my RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist) the male needs at least 20 million sperm to push the lucky sperm up for fertilization.

3. Your regular lubricant (like KY) is deadly to sperm! If you are actively TTC, stop using your lubricant immediately. It can kill sperm upon impact. If you want to use a lubricant I highly recommend a sperm-friendly lubricant such as Preseed. In fact it's a good idea to use it even if you don't think you need it, because it is much easier for sperm to swim through.

4. Timing is everything. After you have figured out when you are going to ovulate, stick to your schedule. Ask your partner to be abstinent for 3 days before your fertile window. Then you want to have intercourse every 24 hours. The only exception is if you know your partner has a low sperm count, you want to stick to every other day so he has enough time to build them up.

5. Menstrual Cups aren't just for your period anymore! Believe it or not, the new craze in TTC is Instead Soft Cups. I first heard about them in the Fertility Friend forums about a year ago, but I just tried them for the first time a few months ago. What you do is insert them after intercourse during your fertile time. The concept is that the semen will go into the cup, and pool around your cervix which gives them a little boost. You also have the added benefit of being able to get up right after intercourse because they can stay in for up to 12 hours. They may look big to you at first, but they don't feel any different than wearing a tampon. Just follow the directions on the box for how to insert and remove them.

6. You don't need to stand on your head. Trust me when I say this, sperm will find where they need to be! You don't need to make yourself a human jigsaw in order to make it easier for them to swim up. As long as you have fertile CM (cervical mucous) they should have no problem swimmingstraight up through your vaginal canal. I do suggest laying down for at least 10 minutes, but if you are using Instead Cups you can stand up right away.

7. Have sex in the morning! Dr. Carol L. Clark from eHow suggests that when TTC, have intercourse in the morning or early afternoon when sperm is more potent. So wake up a little early, do your business, put an instead cup in, take a shower and get ready for your day! Plus you just burned some extra calories and boosted your metabolism and most likely your mood. Bonus!

8. Your Mother really doesn't know everything. Don't tell her I said so! Once word gets out that you are TTC, you are going to start getting all kinds of interesting advice. Before you know it you will have family, friends, co-workers and neighbors convincing you that you are doing it wrong and if you follow their advice, you will get pregnant for sure! From the classic "Just relax and it will happen" to the more creative "Just get drunk like I did when I got pregnant with you." Remember that every cycle a fertile couple has only a 25% chance of conceiving with good intercourse timing, and it takes the average couple between six months and a year to get pregnant. All the vacations in the world won't help you get pregnant if it isn't your time.

9. Take care of yourself first. Take a multi-vitamin and extra folic acid. Drink lots of water. Cut back on caffeine. Eat a diet rich in vegetables, nuts and whole grains. Get regular exercise. These are all things that can help boost both female and male fertility. Not only will your chances of conceiving greatly increase when you are healthy, but you increase your chances of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.

10. Have Fun! Take it from someone who has been doing this for a decade, TTC can be extremely stressful! Don't forget to enjoy yourself and your partner. It is really easy to get caught up in wanting it now and forgetting what is truly important; wanting to expand your family with the person you love. My advice to you is to take the time to enjoy each other.

feralkitten
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Herb Vitamin & Mineral Information

There are many herbs that can assist with increasing fertility. However, before starting any alternative medical therapy, it is best to consult with your doctor, or health care professional to make sure that there are no interactions or concerns with any medications that you may currently be taking. None of the information provided here should be considered Medical Advice. For more information about herbs, vitamins, and minerals see your local herbalist, or do your own research.

Herbs

DON QUAI – DANG QUAI This is considered a hormone regulator. It will assist in regulating the menstrual cycle. It is usually best to take it in conjunction with other hormone regulators and uterine stimulants. This should not be taken if you are pregnant, as it may cause a miscarriage and possible birth defects. If your menstrual cycle is not regular, you can take Don Quai from the first day of your cycle until ovulation. Once you have ovulated it is best to stop taking this if there is a chance that you could be pregnant. Another thing to note is that in a few individuals Don Quai can cause photosensitivity. Usually this reaction will occur in 24 hours of the first dose. It contains vitamins A, E, and B12.

Evening Primrose Oil This will assist in creating a more sperm friendly cervical fluid. Many women that are taking Clomid to assist with achievement of pregnancy will have a decline in their cervical fluid. This will make the sperm’s ability to live long enough to fertilize the egg very difficult. To alleviate this problem a daily dose of EPO of at least 1500 IU or higher, is suggested. EPO can be found at most health food stores, and can also be purchased at the Herb Store on this site. Another remedy for a lack of EWCM (egg white cervical mucus) is to take 2 teaspoons of Robitussin tm three or four times a day from cycle day 5 to 15 or until you ovulate. This must be the plain Robitussin tm, with just the expectorant (guaifenesin) as the active ingredient.

Green Tea Green tea is a great antioxidant. It will assist the body to rid itself of free radicals which can damage cells. By drinking at least one cup of green tea a day you will assist your body in the production of healthier eggs.

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea If you get cramps every month and would like to stop taking pain medication, then start drinking this tea. You can drink this tea all the time and it is especially good for those suffering from nausea and vomiting by adding a little cream to the tea. This will not effect pregnancy and there is no need to discontinue the use of it. (It may also aid in the avoidance of a miscarriage.)

Vitex – Chaste Tree Berries This is one of the herbs that will help to balance a woman’s hormones. Vitex is used in endometriosis treating herbal remedies to help balance the estrogen and progesterone. Vitex is also one of the herbs listed under the miscarriage preventatives. If your cycles are anovulatory I would highly recommend taking this herb.

Herbs to avoid during pregnancy!! The herbs listed below should be avoided during pregnancy because they can cause miscarriage, or possibly birth defects. This is not a complete list, please consult your Doctor or Herbalist for more information.

Black Cohosh and Blue Cohosh These are to be avoided until the last two weeks of pregnancy, and then taken only in very small doses. They are uterine stimulants and will cause contractions. DO NOT TAKE IN THE EARLY STAGES OF PREGNANCY!!!!!!!!
Pennyroyal, Ginger, Don Quai, Licorice, Fenugreek and many more can cause adverse reactions in the uterus during pregnancy, especially in the early stages. Many cause contractions or bleeding.

Herbs to help avoid a miscarriage. For those of you that have suffered a miscarriage in the past and are wanting to help keep this from happening again in the future, herbs are a great resource. Some of the herbs that can help are listed below. Please remember that herbs will not always stop a miscarriage, but it is better to try then to sit back and do nothing.
Vitex, False Unicorn Root, Cramp Bark, Red Raspberry Leaves, and Wild Yam Root.

feralkitten
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM

and of course you maybe fine maybe its your man that needs a little help so

When we are ready for a baby, women tend to immediately start researching all of the things they can do to increase their chances of becoming pregnant.  By the time the first baby making opportunity rolls around, they have already learned about their cycle, when they most likely ovulate and all of the resources that are out there in case it doesn’t happen as quickly as hoped.

Men on the other hand tend to take a more “wait and see” approach.  You figure they have been practicing for this moment for years and are usually confident that their swimmers are up for the job and know what to do.

However, there are some easy things that men can do to increase their sperm health and also your chances of becoming pregnant.

1.  Cut down on coffee-

Recent research is showing that drinking more than 2 cups of coffee a day may damage the DNA in sperm.  One exception here is that if a man has been found to have slow sperm, doctors may actually recommend an extra cup of java!

2.  Keep those testes cool-

In order for a man’s body to produce sperm, it has to be between 94-96 degrees Fahrenheit.  Sudden increases in temperature from hot tubs, illnesses, saunas and laptop usage may wreak havoc on the sperm and keep you from becoming pregnant.

3.  Stop smoking-

Cigarettes are terrible for a man’s sperm.  Smoking has been directly linked to poor sperm motility, volume and concentration.  It also interferes with the fertilization process.

4.  Brush and floss those teeth-

Dentists tell us that poor oral hygiene can lead to bacterial infections in the blood.  Anything that messes with circulation while trying to get pregnant is not a good thing.

5.  Be aware of his biological clock-

There have been many studies published lately proving that both men and women seem to have a biological clock in terms of babies.  When men hit their mid to late 30’s there is a jump in the number of genetic defects in their sperm. And after the age of 40, there are studies that found that male fertility decreases up to 70% due to the sperm slowing down and less of it being produced.

6.  Cut down on alcohol-

Similar to coffee, doctors are recommending no more than 2 alcoholic drinks per week if trying to have a baby.  Large amounts of alcohol can negatively impact sperm quality and lower testosterone levels.

7.  Stay away from soy-

Eating large amounts of soy is not a good idea for men while trying to have a baby.  Soy contains a natural form of estrogen, which as been linked to unhealthy sperm.

8.  Eat lots of fruits and veggies-

Research is now showing that the more fruits and vegetables a man has in his diet, the healthier his sperm.  The antioxidants in fruits and vegetables help the sperm’s overall quality and aid in fertilizing the egg.

9.  Take a cool shower after working out-

To keep those baby making body parts ready for action, doctors recommend taking a cool shower after working out.  This will insure that the sperm is in tip top shape for game time.

10.  Take your vitamins-

Just as with women, there are many vitamins that are vital to the baby making process.  It is a great idea for men to supplement their diet with a daily vitamin as well.

11.  Avoid long bike rides-

Bicycle seats tend to squish a man’s perineum.  After a few house of sitting like this, the blood flow is cut off to the genitals.  If bike riding is a favorite activity, make sure to have a fertility friendly seat (one designed for keeping the male body parts loose and carefree).

12.  No steroids-

Too much testosterone can actually decrease sperm count and quality.  Not only that, but it can take up to 6 months to rid the effects of the steroids and for the sperm to get back to baby making form.

13.  Check your BMI-

Being healthy in your weight is one of the best things you can do.  Being underweight or overweight messes with sperm quality and production.  Doctors have decided that falling somewhere between a BMI of 20-25 is best when trying to have a baby.

feralkitten
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Many men have low sperm count. This can affect a relationship if the couple is trying to get pregnant. While there is no magic trick you can do to increase sperm count, there are home remedies a man can use to increase his sperm count. Vitamins, minerals, water and proteins can all help improve sperm count. Home remedies are all natural, easy to use, and usually found right in your own kitchen or at your local health food store. Check out these home remedies to improve sperm count.

Home Remedies to Increase Sperm Count: Nuts and Seeds

Eating different nuts and seeds can increase a man's sperm count. The best nuts and seeds to eat are almonds, pistachio's, cashew's, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds. To use these seeds and nuts as a home remedy to improve sperm count, put them all in a bowl together and eat a half a bowl every day.

Home Remedies to Increase Sperm Count: Diet

Eat fruits and vegetables every day to help increase sperm count. Men should also eat dried fruit and drink plenty of water to keep hydrated. Also avoid hot and spicy and bitter foods.

Home Remedies to Increase Sperm Count: Herbs

Shilajit, Ashwaghanda, and Kohinoor Gold are good herbs men can use to increase their sperm count. Shilajit has been used for many years to not only improve a man's sperm count but to help with sex drive and to be able to last longer during sex. Shilajit can also be used as an anti-aging agent.

Ashwaghanda is another herb used to increase sperm count, sex drive, and to help men last longer during sex. Ashwaghanda can also be used as a pain killer and a health supplement.

Kohinoor Gold is a variety of different herbs to help with the quality and quantity of a man's sperm count. It can also be used for more energy and mental stability. The herbs in Kohinoor Gold include winter cherry, cowage, shatavari, Spanish pellitory, black musale, henbane, black bitumen, and saffron. All of these herbs can help increase sperm count, sex drive, energy, and mental stability.

Other Things You can do to Increase Sperm Count

The testicles need to be cool to produce good quality and quantity sperm count. Men who need to increase their sperm count should wear loose fitting boxers instead of underwear. Men should also stay out of hot tub's because heat kills sperm.

Stress, worry, and strain are bad for sperm. Try to be as stress and worry free as possible if you are trying to increase your sperm count. It is not as easy to be stress free in this day and age but if you are trying to have a baby , it is important to remember to remain stress and worry free as much as possible.

Avoid drugs, alcohol, tobacco, processed foods, riding bikes, and too much sex. All of these can lower sperm count. If you are trying to have a baby, decrease sexual activity to one or two times a week. Too much ejaculation can lower sperm count and lower your chances of making a baby.

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

This. She's very smart and said everything that I would have! Wishing you the best!

Quoting Angela4boys:

Does the doctor know you have been ttc with no luck? That is where I would start. I would go to the doctor and tell him or her that it's been over a year, you aren't pregnant and you need some answers as to why. We only have so many years of fertility, you don't want to let them waste away. If the doctor isn't receptive, find a new doctor, and so on til you find one that takes you seriously. So sorry you are going through this ((( hugs)))

Mayruchia
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Yes he does.. know whats going on I just wanted to make sure there is nothing I was missing in this whole thing. Thank you ladies you all always pull through for me. love u girls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)