Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Parvovirus in pregnancy. Heard of it?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello, Hello... Just wondering how many people are aware of the dangers of parvovirus during pregnancy.  I delivered my sweet baby @ 22 weeks,  he had lost his heartbeat.    Results showed parvovirus is to blame. I had all of the symptoms but no diagnoses. Anyone familiar with this? AKA "fifth disease" or "slapped Cheek" it is a known cause for fetal loss (once you start digging for info) but apparently is not common knowledge. 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Treasure43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

As a teacher, I'm fairly familiar with it. However, I'm not sure how well know it is outside of teaching circles or those who work with small children. Usually by the time you start showing symptoms, you already have it and unfortunatly, there's not much to be done.

I had my doctor check me when I was first pregnant and I'm immune to it. I believe the good news is that once you've had it or been exposed to it, you're immune. However, I'd ask your doctor to test you to make sure (if he/she hasn't already).

bwoosley
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM
My doctor asked me about it when I went into the hospital when I lost my daughter. I had not heard of it before he talked to me about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by Angela on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:55 PM
A few of my kids have had 5th disease while I was pregnant. The doctor always said it would have been highly unlikely that I hadn't already have it either in childhood or from one of my kids. 5th is a hard one cause you really don't know what it is until the rash is present, and by then they aren't contagious any more. I am sorry you had to deal with that. So unfortunate.
kbornman21
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I've heard of it for dogs, but not for people.. Sorry for your loss mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Never heard of it sorry.  And I'm sorry for your loss.

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Dec. 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I have heard of it and I'm so sorry for your loss.

MommaBoop922
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I have heard of fifth but have noe experience with it.  Im sorry for your loss ((HUGS)) 

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

((hugs)) i'm so sorry for your loss hun.  I've never heard of that but I am glad you got an answer as to why you lost your angel baby.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I am sorry for your loss. How long do people carry this disease before the rash shows up? I doubt its related in my case, but I lost my angel 9/7. About 2months later I came down with a rash. (the girl at work her son had parvo/ fifth disease and she said the rash was the same). Just wondering how long the incubation period is.
laurenmaye
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM

oh, i am sorry! i read that the rash is present about 14 days after you have contracted the virus. Parvo virus inhibits the growth of red blood cells. My baby was lost several weeks after the rash had cleared & i believe that it is easily detected in bloodwork. .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)