Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Bleeding/D&C question

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

My first bleeding was on December 27th (went to ER) diagnosis 'threatened miscarriage'

continued to have brown discharge only when wiping.

Dr. appointment January 2nd confirmed miscarriage.

Dr. said if I am not heavily bleeding by January 10th that I would need a D&C.

Today, January 5th, I am only barely spotting and blood has turned from brown discharge to my first sign of pink on the tp.

My question (since my last miscarriage was a second trimester loss at 18 weeks I know it is very different from this 7-8 week loss) If I have a D&C how long should the bleeding last? 

My husband is deploying mid/early February and we are going to TTC up until the day he leaves (already talked to Dr. about it). So we will do the deed while bleeding if we have to (but I would like to wait till the bleeding stops) if the bleeding doesn't stop for a long time I might have to just do the deed anyways. (not looking for opinions of if we should wait or not, we are TTC and that is our choice) Just looking for input on how long you bled after your D&C or how long it took for your natural miscarriage in your first trimester loss. 

Thank you all for your help. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
blessedmommie07
My life is busy and I love it!
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
by Desiree on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Not sure but I'll send lots of sticky baby dust your way.  

Duenov30
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
With my first d&c I started bleeding really heavily before it like 2 days before so after it I literally didn't bleed except a few spots but this last one I hadn't really bled before and I bled for 2 days then nothing then bled for a few days then nothing then spotted off and on for about 2 weeks I think. I stopped bleeding on day 23 I think and then my actual period came on day. 32
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by Angela on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
My first loss was second trimester like you, 16 weeks, I had a D&E. My timeline for this loss is nearly identical to yours hun. I started bleeding December 25th, and it was like yours. A few days ago I started more maroon, then pink, then brown, it was different every time but light. Yesterday I had the loss confirmed, he did a pelvic exam, and about5 hours later I was cramping pretty good, lots of clots. The baby did come out on it's own in the office. The doctor did another ultrasound, and could see lots of other "stuff" in my uterus. I asked him how long I would bleed, he said probably 6-10 hours of bad cramping, mostly complete within 4-5 days from there... Maybe upto 3 weeks. He said it would be fine to go home and let things happen... But then he said I may need a D&C anyways, if tissue remains, or to regulate bleeding. I thought heck, at this point I had been bleeding 10 days, maybe another 3 weeks... Then still need a D&C... So I just went ahead and did the D&C. That was last night at 5, it's noon next day and I am barely bleeding, no cramps. He said to expect 2-3 days of bleeding, although I expect longer, cause I am a bleeder.

Sorry, don't know if that answered your question, that's just my experience so far. Good luck with your decision hun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jacksmom3707
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My loss was at 9 almost 10 weeks. The baby had passed around 5 weeks or so they estimated but my body never "got the hint" so I had NO bleeding.

Then had my D & C and after my D & C I only lightly spotted for about a week. I'm currently waiting for my normal cycle to return but AF hasn't showed up yet and I'm at 4 weeks post D & C.

Best of luck!

Herlache
by Jessie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I had a dnc on Dec 27th light bleeding day of then was very heavy and very bad cramps dr just gave me meds to stop the bleeding and gave me the ok to ttc again if we wanted
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I would skip the D&C you at bleeding, your body is preparing to do what it has to. It's healthier for you to wait. My doctors said 3-4 weeks is okay.

I have had 3 natural and one D&E after hemorrhaging (later loss) and I don't recall a ton of bleeding with any. Naturally I stopped bleeding that day or shortly after and bled lightly for a few days after the D&E.
momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I was 16w when they did my D&C. I bled the most for 2-3 days after then pretty much spotted (sometimes heavier than others) on and off for close to two weeks after. HTH.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM
How are you doing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)