Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

still no af ( update in red ) another update in blue

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM
  • 28 Replies

so i missed carried on the 12th of dec . on the 15th i had a scan and they conformed the baby was gone it 

7 days later i had to take a teased to check my leve where back to normal my test was totally neg 

about a week ago i took a test and got the faints  pink lines . then tested a few days later and it was neg i was really upset but had to act like i was not . but i found my self saying your just to early ect 

so according to everything i done af should start today but there no sign at all . what you think i will be testing on Thursday as i have a night out for my 30th on Friday and well i wona know if i can drink or not . but am i just setting my self up for heart act again

and yes i know i sound mad as i not even had an af since my mc 

so i been feeling really sick the last two days on and off . so i ttok two test today one was a cheep test and there was a foant line so faint i could not tewll if there was colouror not . so i got a 1st responce and there a faint line tahts def pink !!!

sorry its hard to get a photo i must be really early still but there def a 2nd faint pink line and yes i'm retesting tomorrow morning 

so did a test this morning with fmu and i got a slighty darker test its still faint but it is  alittle darker 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovekeith12
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:38 AM

This whole mc and af thing is crazy . I got af last night and still pos on hpt . I dont get it . Its 4 weeks to the day i had my dnc . I hope we both get answers .

feralkitten
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:57 AM

i burst into tear the other night in front of my computer as there was a sign on face book about a pub near me having bands on and the choose to have a fetus drawing with x for eyes 

ilovekeith12
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:23 AM

WOW that is crazy ... i know how you feel i saw an add on FB that said something about 333,000 babies where aborted in 2011 . It made me sick , i said if all yall new how many women have mc for very loved and wanted  babies you wouldn't do that .. It drives me nuts

Quoting feralkitten:

i burst into tear the other night in front of my computer as there was a sign on face book about a pub near me having bands on and the choose to have a fetus drawing with x for eyes 

momofcrazypants
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

After a loss, I think the window for af is 4-6 weeks. Are you still within that? Our bodies have to go through so much, your cycle may come on a different time than it did before. Mine is totally different and not on the same schedule.

blessedmommie07
by Desiree-admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

on average it can take 4 to 8 weeks to get your first AF after a MC so I would wait another few weeks.

Zealand2008
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I posted this awhile back but it's good info.

1. If you do get pregnant again before having a period, you will not establish a reliable Last Menstrual Period date (your miscarriage date is of no use). You will run into lots of problems when you go in for your first prenatal sonograms and blood tests, causing you tons of grief (often for nothing) and can wreck your relationship with your doctor (supporting the "difficult patient" theory.)

For example, the blood test will say you are six weeks; you will insist you are eight. The sonogram will not show a fetal pole yet, but you have read that you should see a baby by now. You will think your doctor should do something, but he or she will just say your date is wrong and come back in a week. You will spend a week of torture, wondering if the baby is dead, and why do you have to wait for answers. All these things can be avoided by knowing your LMP, or preferably ovulation. Most of the time, the babies are fine, but sometimes you are having another miscarriage. Everything is murky because you don't know for sure when you got pregnant, because you didn't complete a full cycle.

2. If you have retained tissue, your period will be "late" (although all post-miscarriage periods take more than four weeks and are late) and you can even have a POSITIVE PREGNANCY TEST, but you are not pregnant. This is hCG left in your system from the miscarriage, which has not completed. You may begin bleeding and cramping and think you are having another miscarriage, but you are just still going through the first one. We have had women on the site grieving over a 2nd lost baby, naming it and everything, when it turned out she only had missed tissue from the previous loss. Having a D&C does not guarantee that all the tissue was taken. About 1/4 of the women on this site with missed tissue had a D&C. If you did not wait for a real period, you will not know if a pregnancy test really means you are pregnant again, or if your loss has become a long drawn-out ordeal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zealand2008
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
This is also good info on recovery. Unfortunately I fall into the last category.

Your bleeding will taper off to spotting within a week, and maybe random spotting will continue for another week. Your hCG drops steadily, usually hitting zero during the end of the spotting, or about 10 days after the miscarriage or D&C. When the spotting ends, you will get strange symptoms. If you use a fertility monitor, it may say you are ovulating, but you are not. You may see lots of cervical mucus coming out, sometimes still brown or yellow, but it is not a fertility sign either. In fact, most of the time, you will not ovulate in this cycle. You should not be trying to get pregnant, either. For why, visit the trying again section.

Some women find they have mild pregnancy symptoms, or little ovulation cramps. Many many women think they could be pregnant, because strange things are happening and their period is "late" (although almost every post-miscarriage period is late.) These symptoms are due to the body's attempts to regulate its hormones again. It may kick into gear right away, and you will get a new period in four to five weeks, or it may struggle a bit, and the period will not come for seven weeks. If you chart your temperatures, they will be all over the place. This is all perfectly normal and expected. Eventually your period arrives and can be either light or heavy. There is no "normal" right now. For more on this, or to spot trouble, see the next section on Your First Period.

A less common, but still normal, recovery goes like this:

Your bleeding tapers off quickly, but with some spotting. You think it is over. Perhaps a week or even two will pass, and you begin to wait for your period. Then suddenly, it begins again. Strong cramping, heavy bleeding, and pain. You are scared and shocked and sad all over again. You hope it is just your period, but it is not. (You must not bleed at all for about 20 days for it to be a real period, otherwise you have not gone through the hormone chain properly.) You call your doctor, who may or may not be responsive. Most will just tell you to call them in a few days if it doesn't stop. You hang up very upset, and don't know why they don't care more about you and your predicament.

That's because within a few days, it does stop, and you are just spotting again. Here is what happened, some tissue was missed during your D&C or natural miscarriage. A bit of placenta clung to the wall of the uterus. It continued to draw a little blood, and the body continued to create very small amounts of pregnancy hormone. Eventually the body realized no baby was there and turned loose of this last bit of tissue. The miscarriage process begins again. Only now will your levels drop to zero and a new cycle begin. You cannot expect a normal period any sooner than four weeks from this, and up to seven weeks could still be normal. Your total wait time from original miscarriage to first period can creep up to nine or ten weeks and still be normal.

A recovery that should be monitored looks like this:

The main bleeding seems to have ended, and you are spotting. And spotting, and spotting. Three weeks pass and you are still wearing panty liners. (You call your doctor, and they said give it another week.) Spotting ends. You are relieved. A few days later it begins again. You are crushed. Sometimes you get slightly heavier bleeding. You hope it is your period, then read that you have to have NO bleeding for almost three weeks first. You are crushed again. Your ordeal seems like it will never end.

You should go in for an hCG blood test. If your doctor won't do it, take a home pregnancy test. If it is still positive, call them back. Your levels should be at zero by now.

Your levels may come back at 100, or even higher. It may be zero. Your doctor still wants you to wait and see. If your levels were high and things go well, you will suddenly get another big passage of blood and tissue, and it will be over. You will still have a good case for requesting one more blood test to be sure. If this pattern continues, you may need a D&C, or in some cases, a drug called Cytotec, to induce cramping to push out left tissue.

If your levels were zero or not very high, and you still just keep spotting and spotting, you should be able to request a shot of provera or some other form of progesterone. This big dose will put your body into thinking it is nearing the end of a cycle. When the dose is done, the sudden drop in progesterone should trick your body into thinking it is time for a period, and you will bleed. This period can be terribly heavy or light, but it counts. If this has happened, it is still a good idea to wait one more cycle before trying to conceive. If it doesn't work, your doctor may put you on birth control pills for a couple of months to get your cycle regulated.
Angela4boys
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Periods can be off after a loss, thanks to roller coaster hormones. I would give it a couple weeks, then contact the doctor if AF still hadn't arrived.
feralkitten
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

BUMP!

blessedmommie07
by Desiree-admin on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM
It could be a new pregnancy or left over hormones. Only way to know for sure is get your hcg levels checked
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)