Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Blood clotting problem and mc anyone??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 16 Replies
So I had some tests run by a dermatologist back in novemeber due to some growth on my finger.. Anyways one of those was a blood clotting test. When I went to the er at the same facility where the tests were ran the er dr told me he looked at my tests and did not know what tyey mean but it was a test for a clotting disorder. I was in the begining of my miscarriage. Well I went today to have the tests read back to me by the dr who ordered them.. Yea TWO months after he had ordered them to be done.. He said they came back abnormal which can mean I have a clotting disorder and I need to get a second test to just make sure it was not a fluke and if its not off to.the hemotologist for me... Did anyone have a clotting disorder and have mc due to it?? What were your symptoms of this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zealand2008
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I did not but after my mc I made my doctor test for it. There's medication and I believe a baby aspirin you take daily to prevent blood clots. That's completely unacceptable he didn't have the results or let you know. I would be pissed.
Cal2006
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I do have a blood disorder. I have the chance to clot more than other people, the opposite of hemophilia. I have had multiple miscarriages early in the pregnancy and it is linked to miscarriages. I have to take baby aspirin every day, and when I am pregnant I have to take a blood thinner shot. That being said, I still miscarried with this baby. The doctor said that it was unlikely that the blood disorder would have caused my earlier miscarriages because at 6 weeks the baby isn't really sharing your blood. So while it is good to know, it isn't necessarily the silver bullet that I thought it was. You will need to do the two tests, my doctor had me do that too. They will want to find out if it is on one or both of your genes (it is genetic so one or both of your parents would have it too). I just have it on one side of my family, so it is just an elevated risk. There are several types of blood disorders that are in the same family as mine.

mlynnc2
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Yea we played phone tag with his nurse for two months! He said "i called you once but I told you to call me" I was mad.. I have been taking a baby aspirin a day its the 81mg one that's the lowest dose I could find. Just in case we get prego..

Quoting Zealand2008:

I did not but after my mc I made my doctor test for it. There's medication and I believe a baby aspirin you take daily to prevent blood clots. That's completely unacceptable he didn't have the results or let you know. I would be pissed.

mlynnc2
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Yea we played phone tag with his nurse for two months! He said "i called you once but I told you to call me" I was mad.. I have been taking a baby aspirin a day its the 81mg one that's the lowest dose I could find. Just in case we get prego..

Quoting Zealand2008:

Zealand2008
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Is it Factor V? I thought it could cause a clot that could possibly travel through the umbilical cord and potentially get stuck in there because its so small.

Quoting Cal2006:

I do have a blood disorder. I have the chance to clot more than other people, the opposite of hemophilia. I have had multiple miscarriages early in the pregnancy and it is linked to miscarriages. I have to take baby aspirin every day, and when I am pregnant I have to take a blood thinner shot. That being said, I still miscarried with this baby. The doctor said that it was unlikely that the blood disorder would have caused my earlier miscarriages because at 6 weeks the baby isn't really sharing your blood. So while it is good to know, it isn't necessarily the silver bullet that I thought it was. You will need to do the two tests, my doctor had me do that too. They will want to find out if it is on one or both of your genes (it is genetic so one or both of your parents would have it too). I just have it on one side of my family, so it is just an elevated risk. There are several types of blood disorders that are in the same family as mine.

mlynnc2
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Wow.. So sorry love.. After having my mc I look back on my periods and think I may have had more than I know of. Right before my husband left for bootcamp a few years ago I had what I thought was a horrible period with huge clots etc. I now think it was in fact a mc. Are your periods clotty??? Mine have been forever like decent sized clots... Does your blood flow slow when getting it drawn? The lady said a few days ago when I was getting labs done it was flowing super slow

Quoting Cal2006:

Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you remember Suzy from our jan group? She's had two second trimester losses. I don't remember how far along she was with her first, but her second she was 28wks when Camilla passed. It wasn't until then that they ran tests and found out she had a blood clotting disorder. She was monitored very closely and I believe given shots to help prevent them.

She has since delivered a beautiful healthy baby girl. I think in November of 2012, she was due In January again, but she came early.

It could definitely be a reason to miscarry, but some don't find out after multiple losses. Being that some doctors don't find one loss a concern. 60% of pregnancy result in early miscarriage.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't so here is a bump for you.

Mayruchia
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Hi, I know that when I did have my mc I had  huge blood clots. I actually bleed for nine hours in an er but they never found or tested me for any disorder I actually read and found this on the internet I hope that it can help some.

Miscarriage

Fifteen percent of women who experience recurrent miscarriages -- three or more consecutive pregnancy losses -- have antiphospholipid antibodies syndrome, according to obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Samuel Marcus. APAS is an autoimmune disease where the body produces antibodies in parts of the blood vessels, resulting in increased blood clotting. Because taking baby aspirin may prevent the formation of blood clots in placental blood vessels, it can reduce miscarriages caused by APAS -- though baby aspirin is most effective when taken along with the blood thinner heparin

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/521880-can-taking-baby-aspirin-help-with-a-pregnancy/#ixzz2J6IoQOoo

I hope you can get around to reading that the best of luck.

mommyofnoah208
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Yes. I lost my son at 17 weeks in 2010. They ran tests and discovered I have two blood clotting disorders. Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. They believe a blood clot went into his placenta. For my pregnancy afterwards for precaution..I took daily lovenox (blood thinner) injections the whole pregnancy and took extra folic acid. Sorry for your loss and good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN