Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have been researching Prometrium (progesterone supplement), and really can't find any information supporting it's use to prevent miscarriage.  I know Google isn't always a good friend...but if you can, help me understand.  This is going to come out all over the place, so I'm just going to list what I found one by one.

~On the information from the manufacturer, i see that it specifically says it should not be used during pregnancy.

~It says that it is used for menopausal women

~It says it is used to help induce your period

~I know that Progesterone can be used as birth control, as I was on a progesterone only birth control pill while I was breastfeeding my first 4 children. 

~From what I can find, it is believed it's possible that in non viable pregnancies the body will not produce much progesterone as there is no need to.

I just want to make clear I'm not disputing anyone take it or trying to cause a debate.  I'm just trying to figure out if I should use it.  I am a little gun shy now that I was given a drug to induce my labor that was an off label use...so I find myself questioning things more and more.  I'm just trying to figure out how something that can be used to bring on your period, that can be used to prevent pregnancy, and the manufacturer says should not be used in pregnancy...can also support your pregnancy and be used to prevent miscarriage.  I asked the doctor about progesterone, and he Rx'd it, but said it was my choice whether I wanted to take it or not, it was competely up to me...so now I'm trying to decide if it's a good choice or not if or when we get a BFP. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Replies (31-36):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Thanks!  Good luck Hun!

Quoting nicoleeoh:

Progesterone won't hurt anything, can only help... however I was prescribed prometrium as suppositories in 2 pregnancies & lost both pregnancies so I don't like nor trust it. Other people have good things to say. My RE has me on Endometrin, the only FDA approved progesterone & I like it way better. It comes with an applicator where prometrium doesn't & you start taking it 2x a day right after ovulation to promote a healthy implantation. I am just waiting to get pregnant to see how well it will work for me, FX for this cycle! Just thought I'd add my 2cents. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Zealand2008
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Do you have a compounding pharmacy around? They can make suppositories for you with bio progesterone. They are made with a different base that has better absorption and the capsule is made to dissolve vaginally. I had to ask my doctor to write me a prescription for compounding. He didn't do it automatically.

Quoting Angela4boys:

Yea, I read somewhere that the Rx bottle will still say orally, even though the doctor said... to be taken vaginally.  I guess most insurance won't pay for it, if it's written that way, so the pharmacy will say orally on the bottle. 

Quoting Zealand2008:

Because prometrium is a manufactured product. It's bio but not compounded in a pharmacy. It's meant to be taken oral not vaginal. I suppose you could take it vaginally but it might release funny because of the peanut oil. Plus would be messy and might not absorb well. It's great your doctor wants you to take a suppository though because its better absorbed (must be sustained release) but maybe ask for a compounded suppository.

I completely understand your reservations about meds. I was like that when I was pregnant and now I wonder if I would have taken my remedy would I still be pregnant. You just don't win either way.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Somewhere, there has got to be, but not real close, I live out in the country. But we are about 20 miles from Raleigh, there has to be one there, just haven't looked into it.

Quoting Zealand2008:

Do you have a compounding pharmacy around? They can make suppositories for you with bio progesterone. They are made with a different base that has better absorption and the capsule is made to dissolve vaginally. I had to ask my doctor to write me a prescription for compounding. He didn't do it automatically.

Quoting Angela4boys:

Yea, I read somewhere that the Rx bottle will still say orally, even though the doctor said... to be taken vaginally.  I guess most insurance won't pay for it, if it's written that way, so the pharmacy will say orally on the bottle. 

Quoting Zealand2008:

Because prometrium is a manufactured product. It's bio but not compounded in a pharmacy. It's meant to be taken oral not vaginal. I suppose you could take it vaginally but it might release funny because of the peanut oil. Plus would be messy and might not absorb well. It's great your doctor wants you to take a suppository though because its better absorbed (must be sustained release) but maybe ask for a compounded suppository.

I completely understand your reservations about meds. I was like that when I was pregnant and now I wonder if I would have taken my remedy would I still be pregnant. You just don't win either way.

Zealand2008
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I get mine from Nebraska :)

Quoting Angela4boys:

Somewhere, there has got to be, but not real close, I live out in the country. But we are about 20 miles from Raleigh, there has to be one there, just haven't looked into it.

Quoting Zealand2008:

Quoting Angela4boys:

Quoting Zealand2008:

CRFstffrd
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I took progesterone in the early weeks of my pregnancy.
Vaginally. It caused some white chunky discharge.
But I give progesterone the sole credit for making it possible for me
To be holding my rainbow baby right now.

I've 3 miscarriages total. 2 with my DH.
Had the last 2 tested for genetic issues. None.
Doc suggested progesterone for our next try.
Started taking it at about 4 weeks.
Took it till 11 weeks.
I was never able to take a pregnancy past 5 weeks.
Apparently my body couldn't produce enough Progesterone by itself to keep the pregnancies viable.
Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
That's wonderful that you found a solution Hun! Sorry they didn't find out sooner :(

Quoting CRFstffrd:

I took progesterone in the early weeks of my pregnancy.

Vaginally. It caused some white chunky discharge.

But I give progesterone the sole credit for making it possible for me

To be holding my rainbow baby right now.

I've 3 miscarriages total. 2 with my DH.

Had the last 2 tested for genetic issues. None.

Doc suggested progesterone for our next try.

Started taking it at about 4 weeks.

Took it till 11 weeks.

I was never able to take a pregnancy past 5 weeks.

Apparently my body couldn't produce enough Progesterone by itself to keep the pregnancies viable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)