Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Possible blighted ovum? *update in blue*

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello ladies. I'm currently on pregnancy #11, and just to catch you all up I have 4 living daughters and 6 angel babies (2 losses, 2 daughters, 2 losses, a daughter, a loss, a daughter, a 2nd trimester loss and now I'm currently, supposed to be, 7wks preg today).    

Thursday (6w 4d) I had been feeling "off" all day, severe back pain, some pulling pain around my right ovary area, etc, but nothing horrible and it eventually eased up/stopped all together.  Then at about 930-10 I went to go take a bath and when I got undressed there was bright red blood. Immediately I freaked out and ran downstairs to DH in full on tears and was hysterical to the point he actually had to shake me.  I finally calmed down and went upstairs (about 30 mins had passed) and the bleeding had turned brown. The next day I got up and it was only there when I wiped and still brown. We had hoped that maybe it was a cyst that burst (which I've never had before but I was reaching).   I went in to the walk in OB clinic and first they did an HCG draw and the nurse was upset that they didn't follow my HCG up considering my history, but whatever.  The results came back (they ran it STAT) and my levels were 49,440, which was good for where I was (6w 5d) so they had me in for a vaginal u/s.  The ob (not my normal OB, he's out of office, but the on call OB, who actually saw me in the ER during my last m/c) said that she wasn't going to call it yet because it could still be early or dates could be "off" but all she could see was a sac measuring 6w 1d (so 4 days behind) and no HB :(    I've been pretty numb from that point on.  Even when I had my 5th m/c and my baby was measuring way behind (around 6w when I should've been 7) they could at least see a HB, it was weak but it was there.   I'm not in anymore pain and the bleeding/spotting has completely stopped, but I still am terrified.  She said to keep my appt with my reg ob (Tue at 1245) and we'll make a call then, I'm just so scared!    

I get that dates COULD be "off", but how off could they really be? I found out I was preg with a positive HPT at 10DPO, if things are really that off then that means to say I REALLY found out at 6DPO? How possible is that?!  Also I had my first HCG done at 12DPO and the levels were 144, so that would mean 144 at 8DPO?!   And with my levels being almost 50K right now, shouldn't they be able to see a baby, even if they couldn't yet see a HB, with levels that high?     Please share your experiences.     I have almost exactly 48hrs till my appt and I'm just dying not knowing what's going on =0(

*Had my appt today and they did another vag u/s and, long story short, baby's nice and snug and doing well!   I don't get how they measured me being so far behind on Friday, or how fast this baby has decided to grow, but they measured baby today at 7w 4d (should be 7w 2d so ahead!) and changed my due date to Sept 27!  I can't even tell you how relieved I am that all was well and how many tears were shed.  DH was so happy and just kept saying "see baby, I told you" and "you really should listen to me" LOL!   Thank you ladies for all the kind words and good thoughts =0) *

J-07.25.00...Em-03.21.02...Belle-08.27.05...Livi-04.09.12...Thinking BLUE-09.29.13

Mommy's angels: 08/98, 06/99, 08/02, 12/12/02, 05/02/11, Jr-09/25/12

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Herlache
by Jessie on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I'm sorry hun idk bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I'm sorry you are going through this, and with your history, I can understand the fear, I'm so sorry you are going through this :( I think the difference in days, 4 days, isn't much at all. And, from my understanding, the heart typically starts around the 6th week. So if you are measuring 6 weeks 1 day, that's so close to the 6 week mark, I can understand there not being a heartbeat yet. Ya never know, that heart could have started pumping as soon as you stepped off the table. I just want to encourage you to keep the hope alive hun! Hope is all you have to go on. I think your bleeding having stopped is a really positive sign. Lets hope your next visit gives you all the reassurance you need!

Do you know if your uterus tilts at all? I saw an U/S of someone in one of my ddg's, her uterus really tips, and at about 10 weeks, her U/S just had a circle in it. It was just the top of the babies head that could be seen. Everything was just fine, but it stuck in my head how something as simple as a tipped uterus could prevent an ultrasound from seeing baby clearly.

mommyofnoah208
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this scare. Praying tuesdays appt will find a heartbeat and everything will be ok. Good luck and keep us posted
Devious103102
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Thanks.   I know the possiblities are that everything is fine, it's just hard to think positive with everything else that's happened, though I really am trying my best.  As far as I know no tilted uterus. A midwife mentioned it at the beginning of my pregnancy with DD3 (Feb 2005) but she also said that it corrects itself and it hasn't been mentioned since (and I've been preg, now, 4 times since March 2011).

Quoting Angela4boys:

I'm sorry you are going through this, and with your history, I can understand the fear, I'm so sorry you are going through this :( I think the difference in days, 4 days, isn't much at all. And, from my understanding, the heart typically starts around the 6th week. So if you are measuring 6 weeks 1 day, that's so close to the 6 week mark, I can understand there not being a heartbeat yet. Ya never know, that heart could have started pumping as soon as you stepped off the table. I just want to encourage you to keep the hope alive hun! Hope is all you have to go on. I think your bleeding having stopped is a really positive sign. Lets hope your next visit gives you all the reassurance you need!

Do you know if your uterus tilts at all? I saw an U/S of someone in one of my ddg's, her uterus really tips, and at about 10 weeks, her U/S just had a circle in it. It was just the top of the babies head that could be seen. Everything was just fine, but it stuck in my head how something as simple as a tipped uterus could prevent an ultrasound from seeing baby clearly.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Big hugs. I'll be praying for you. Hang in there. With my Lily at 5w6d they prepared me for a blighted ovum because the sac was measuring only 5w and it was empty. At 6w6d there the baby was measuring perfect to the day- us tech said the heart had just started beating in the last 24hours. Keep the faith, I know its easier said than done
echupko
by Group Mod-Elizabeth on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM
You never know! Baby is so small at this point! Praying for good news!!!
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM

You will be in my thoughts hun and I hope you get some good news at your next drs appointment.

Kc0001
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Same thing happened to me, I bled and bled bright red blood. Went to the ER was my 3rd miscarriage so I knew the drill... I was about 5-6wks, very faint weak heartbeat, levels were ok though. My placenta was separating from my uterus, followed-up with OB about a week later and again, weak, slow h/r. Came back another week later and the baby had a strong heartbeat and my placenta was healing where it had started to tear, it was a subchronic hemorrhage. My son was born healthy and is a happy joyous little boy, it was touch and go the first few months but with levels that high I wouldn't give up hope.

Devious103102
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Quoting Kc0001:

Same thing happened to me, I bled and bled bright red blood. Went to the ER was my 3rd miscarriage so I knew the drill... I was about 5-6wks, very faint weak heartbeat, levels were ok though. My placenta was separating from my uterus, followed-up with OB about a week later and again, weak, slow h/r. Came back another week later and the baby had a strong heartbeat and my placenta was healing where it had started to tear, it was a subchronic hemorrhage. My son was born healthy and is a happy joyous little boy, it was touch and go the first few months but with levels that high I wouldn't give up hope.

I thought about a possible SCH but it was never mentioned (I had one with my 5th m/c and with DD4). I just hope that tomorrow brings at least some good news, if not some answers. 

jacksmom3707
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

So sorry your going through this.

I was in your same situation. I went in for my first appointment and they did an ultrasound and found the sac but no heartbeat. They told me the same thing that my dates could be "off." We were trying though and I knew the dates weren't off. I tried to keep up hope but I went back a week later and they found no change and I was officially diagnosed with a blighted ovum. I had no bleeding or anything though the whole time, it was really weird. I ended up with a D & C.

I hope your story turns out different and wish the best for you. Keep us posted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN