Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

I'm about to show my age but this made me so angry

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 33 Replies

I was watching the teen mom 2 special with Dr. Drew (guilty pleasure...showing my age) and he was talking to Leah, the 20-year-old mom to 2-year-old twins. Last year she divorced her babydaddy and started dating a new guy. After a short time she and the new guy decided to try to have more kids (obviously not the logical route but it is what it is). Anyway, she got pregnant really quickly and they showed it on the show. However, she lost the baby at around 8 or 9ish weeks, very shortly before the reunion was filmed but it wasn't covered on the show and Dr. Drew acted like he had no idea it had happened.

Anyway, all he wanted to ask her is why she was stupid enough to want to have more kids. Never mind the fact that she is already obviously upset at having to announce her miscarraige on national tv. He never asked her how she was feeling since the loss or how it affects her. He basically said she was lucky and dodged a bullet. He hounded her so much until he got her to agree to go on birth control (which she obviously didn't because she was pregnant again a few months later and recently gave birth to a little girl).

If I were in her position I would not have been TRYING to have another baby. My angel baby was not planned (I was 20 at the time with a 2yo) but he sure as hell was wanted. Just like her baby was wanted and all Dr. Drew could do was attack her for getting pregnant in the first place. Literally, while she was crying and announcing that she lost the baby, he interrupted her to tell the audience that she is now a statistic because she got married within 2 years of her first child(ren).

It was just so insensitive and I was pissed and needed to rant to people who would understand a bit more than the average person.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtledoves
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM
They feel the need to say 'look, we're teaching teens about sex education" and try to force everyone's lives to fit that image. Everythinh has to wrap up in the message of "use protection, wait for babies" because they get so much slack for making teenage pregnancy fun and trendy.

Its poor taste that theyd do that after her miscarriage though. Poor girl, that must have hurt her and she had to keep up appearances anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeniemarie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:51 AM
i think they couldve used her misscarriage as a warning against teen pregancy as well. showing that unfortantly not everything turns out the way we think it will. i do feel bad for her though having to deal with all that on top of her loss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mattiehatter
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't watch, but that is a very dick move of him.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I didn't watch that but that was pretty crappy of him to do that.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh wow!  That is very insensitive! 

On a total side note, I saw the preview for that show, and I don't know if it was the make up they used on them or what, but it just looked like those girls have aged soooo much!  Like not grown up type aging, but like haggard been around the block a dozen times kind of way.  Did you think that?  I don't know why, but that just struck me!  I saw a preview while my boys were watching "rediculousness"  I hate that show btw!

Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Quoting mattiehatter:

I don't watch, but that is a very dick move of him.

rolling on floor

Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mutantninja0813:

Its terrible that because of age people think its okay to say these kinds of things to young women who have lost their babies. I was 16 when I lost Norah and I was told similar things by people. I was hurting, telling me I would have a normal life and that loosing her was for the best. It made me very afraid to talk about her for a long time.

Yes, and that is wrong.  As a teen you are already at a huge disadvantage, then to have acting like you are so lucky to have gone through that, when you are hurting so much...it's just wrong.  I'm so sorry, you must have felt so alone :(

echupko
by Group Mod-Elizabeth on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Not nice!!! Poor girl :-(
echupko
by Group Mod-Elizabeth on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:01 AM
I'm so sorry :-( a mother hurts no matter what her age is!!!

Quoting mutantninja0813:

Its terrible that because of age people think its okay to say these kinds of things to young women who have lost their babies. I was 16 when I lost Norah and I was told similar things by people. I was hurting, telling me I would have a normal life and that loosing her was for the best. It made me very afraid to talk about her for a long time.
jacksmom3707
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking the same thing while I was watching! I think he did say something like, "that must've been really hard to go through that." Another thing I was thinking though is that those shows are heavily edited so he might've actually said more to her about the loss and been nicer about it, but they just didn't air it.

I think he was doing the tough love thing with Leah trying to explain to her that she was so young to begin with to want another baby. Trying to talk some sense into her which he should do in most cases with those girls (since they tend to be a bunch of hot messes). That said, when it comes to miscarriage, there is no room for insensitivity no matter what age or situation a woman is in.

Leah did get her rainbow baby though - she just gave birth recently!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN