Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Questions on trying again

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

It has been 10 years since last m/c & I had a D&C with that one not this one - anyway I domt remember a few things about afterwards. 

I have heard after a m/c it is the best time to get pregnant like people like my husband and I who clearly have trouble getting pregnant. When I am done bleeding I assume I will ovulate and then start my period - is that considered the first period or me bleeding now is that considered a period? I know the blood is from losing baby & all but does it go into a period from here since technically you do not have to ovulate to start a period. 

I do not have time on my side so just wondering when to try again and all of that? After my m/c in 2003 it took us another 2 years to get pregnant *sigh*

~~
Mother of 3: 20, 3, & 7

"Every person faces difficulties throughout their life. Despite our circumstances, and with God's help, we can choose to be better instead of being bitter."
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Herlache
by Jessie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Normally once you stop bleeding from the mc 4-6weeks later you should start your 1st cycle that's when most drs say you can start ttc (with my dr and my history she said we didn't have to wait for the first cycle if we didn't want to) gl (( hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessica11r
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I would wait until you have your first period after the MC. So about a month. Most doctors will say one to three. You could ask yours and see what they think. Sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Focused_Mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM
My doctor recommended to wait 1 cycle after my d&c. My doctor explained it as when I stop bleeding from the d&c then have a regular period. After the period I can try to conceive. I have read conflicting data on the ease of getting pregnant after a miscarraige. So sorry for your loss and good luck on ttc!
carriemoyer
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Sorry for your loss, I had my first m/c on Saturday (still bleeding now). My OB said wait for my second period then try after that one. I hope that helps.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:05 AM

After I had my loss my doctor told me to wait at least two cycles before ttc again.

echupko
by Group Mod-Elizabeth on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:44 AM
My first loss was natural. A blighted ovum, found out at 11w. Dr said we could try right away b/c we had been trying for a year. We waited until after my first cycle (not the miscarriage bleeding) and we conceived the first try.

I say start as soon as you feel ready!!!!! Good luck!
Angela4boys
by Angela on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I've been doing quite a bit of research regarding this.  Most doctors recommend waiting until you have had your first normal period, so miscarriage bleeding, period, then you are good to go.  The benefit of this, is having a solid date of your last menstrual period, which is how due date is calculated.  Some recommend waiting several cycles if you have had a D&C.  Some even recommend longer 3-6 months, but that is more so the mom has time to either psychologically heal from the trauma of the loss, or in cases where the pathology comes back as a possibly molar pregnancy.

Having said all that, the most recent information I have found is, that there is no benefit in waiting.  You may be more fertile for up to 6 months after a miscarriage, and a recent study found those who conceive in that time frame have the best chance at a healthy pregnancy.  And the whole concept of doctors going off the date of your last period, is pretty out dated.  I don't know about you, but even when I'm 100% positive on my dates, and I always am, I am always given a "dating" ultrasound anyways.  You also hear things like you need to wait to let the lining of your uterus to build up...well, we have a period monthly, and that lining sheds again, and we start all over. My feelings are, just start again when YOU are ready.  Many women have conceived and had successful pregnancies before they had their first period.  I haven't found a single thing that says those women are at an increased risk of miscarriage. 

Good luck Hun!

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Angela pretty much covered all of the bases! In my case, we lost the baby @ 16w and had to have a D&C. So, I didn't end up miscarrying naturally. I also had some minor complications in my procedure and lost a good deal of blood. My OBGYN wanted me to wait two normal cycles before we ttc just to give my body time to heal. That's just the physical aspect of it all. I'm now on AF#3 and even though things have gotten easier, I still have difficult days/moments here and there with grieving. I think the best answer really is when you think you are physically and emotionally ready to ttc again, give it a go. Wishing you the very best and I'm so sorry for your loss. (hugs)

jacksmom3707
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I had a D & C and bleeding from that, afterwards it was about 4 weeks and I got my next period and then another 4 weeks I got another period so I've been pretty regular although I know alot of people are very irregular after losses so you never know.

My doctor recommended waiting 2 normal cycles before we TTC.

mrsb2005
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN