Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to expect after a miscarriage?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:03 AM
  • 7 Replies

I found out i was pregnant  2 weeks ago, took 5 digital clear blue tests at different times over a 2 day period. all came back positive at 1-2 weeks, so doctors would say 3-4  it was not planned but i was still over joyed i have wanted to be a mummy since i was 7 years old,  5 days later i began to bleed, i called my gp who assured me it was just implantation bleeding as i was not experiencing any pain, but said she will book me an appointment for 2 days later.  my bleeding had become much heavier by then and i was passing clots, one in particular was a small purplish ball which i susspect was my baby. anyway i had to wait for almost 3 hours on the day of my appointment to be seen, as i arrived earlier than i should and was told i would be seen in 15 minutes for an emergancy appointment, 2 and a half hours past and i decided to nip to the chemist next door and buy another test, to see if it could put my mind at ease while i waited, i was absolutly devastated when it read not pregnant. my gp was useless, she gave me no advice, im just 19 and had never experienced pregnancy before then never mind a miscarriage, all she said was i can try another test in the morning but she doubts it would be positive and ushered me out of the door. this was 4 days ago, i used a tampon when i got home, not wanting to be constantly reminded of what had happened, by using sanitary towels, i had no idea this was a no no after a miscarriage, my gp hadn't gave me and symptoms of infection to look out for, she did not refer me for a scan to see if i had a complete miscarriage or not. 

This has been quite traumatic for me, even though i was only pregnant for such a short amount of time the impact it has left on me is unreal, i can't even begin to think what some of the women who have had  later miscarriages must of gone through. 

I have experienced on and off headaches this past few days, and have felt quite nauseous particularly at night, whereas when i was pregnant i only felt naususeous as soon as i woke up. i am still bleeding, not as heavy now, it more like the end of a period, my lower back hurts but its copable. 

I was just wondering if anyone  can tell me some of the symptoms i should look out for and what i can expect over the coming month?

thankyou x

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I am so sorry for your loss.  I recently had a early miscarriage, right at 4 weeks.  I was expecting a long period, but really it was quite short (for me), maybe 4 days...normally mine is 7-8 days.  I have read lots of women having longer than normal "periods" after loss, but wasnt the case for me. As it turns out, I'm nauseated too...Probably just hormones rebalancing.  I've had two previous losses, both with D&C/D&E, they were very different. 

I'd assume that you will go on to have another period around a month after the day you began bleeding....but it may be as long as 6-8 weeks.  4-6 is Average.  You can become pregnant the first cycle, although ovulation isn't always predictable, so if you aren't ready yet, you should use protection. 

If you experience flu like symptoms, headache, body aches, fever, bloating, foul odor (vaginal), discharge, that could be a sign that you have retained tissue, and would need to see a doctor.  It's unlikely, but it can happen. 

Happy_Mcboobs
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I'm sorry for your loss and I hate that  your doctor acted like that and you had to wait! :(  

Like she said, if you have a fever or see some brown/green discharge and/or odor--you'll need to get to the doctor asap! But most likely everything will be fine! If you are 19 and married...you can try again as soon as you feel able & ready (emotionally) but if this was an unwed accident...I'd use protection until you are ready emotionally & physically. It's hard no matter when the loss happened. :( And it helps to have as much support as possible. 

funhappymom
by Marie on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I am sorry for your loss. Experiencing a miscarriage at any point in a pregnancy is very hard. Having an uncaring doctor is even worst.

As the others have said, fever, foul odor, odd/different discharge are signs of infections. Having sudden sever pains is another sign. If you get any of those, you should call your doctor ASAP or visit an urgent care or ER right away.

Cal2006
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I have had three miscarriages and one stillbirth. Phyiscally you can expect what all of the ladies have said. However, I will like to tell you that the emotion of the miscarriage might be hard to predict. You might feel fine at first, you might not. You might break down a few weeks, months or years later. But know that this is a safe place and you can seek support here.

sassyboo19
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Thank you, you all already seem as though you are more qualified than my gp! she told me i could take a test a few days later just to be sure ( as she didn't move from her chair during the appointment so she didn't take my blood ect) automatically it gave me a little bit of hope so i asked her if the test  could be coming up negative because i am bleeding and it is effecting the results. She then laughed at me shook her head and said no. I can't believe people as useless and isensitive as that are aloud become gp's. i know i am only young which is why she was patronizing me, but its still hard on me never the less. my boyfriend thinks i should put in a formal complaint.

we are not planning on ttc, but i am now desperate for a baby. I saw a heavily pregnant woman sitting in the corner of the local pub stroking her belly yesterday, and i just stood there and cried, i felt like such an  idiot but i just couldn't stop.

On a brighter note i am very glad i have found this site, me and my partner now live 200 miles away from all our families so we only have each others support. so it's nice to know I don't have to go through this alone 

kellie x

Mamasita7176
by Susan on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I've had 2 mc. One I had a D&C the other mc naturally. I bled for 7-10 days. Really no other symptoms other than I was an emotional wreck! I did have blood drawn once to check levels....after I questioned how much longer I should bleed. Otherwise they said I could take another home test - if it came back negative my levels were low enough to be almost complete. I'm sorry you had to go through this and that your gp did not give you the comfort or info you needed. We are here if you have any other questions.

sassyboo19
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Also will this mc increase any future risk of this happening again?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)