Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

miscarriage after mirena- long, sorry :/

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 12 Replies

a little back ground-  i had my second child in september 07' and 5 months later had mirena placed. it worked out great at first, extremely light periods, no remembering a pill or anything. i had it in for about 4 1/2 years and towards the end i had severe pain and loads of side effects. removed on nov. 12, 2012 and was told i could get pregnant right away.. i didn't think that was a good idea so we waited until the end of january to ttc. february 7th i got my bfp and we were sooooo happy. everything was ok at first. heartburn, intense waves of nausea, giant achy breasts, everything that i had experienced with my two previous pregnancies. maybe 7 weeks in i realized i rarely felt sick and talked to my ob about it, she assured me all was well and not every pregnancy is the same. she sent me for a transvaginal u/s to ease my mind. at 9w2d i went to my appointment and discovered that baby was measuring 6w2d with an enlarged yolk sac & slow heart rate.

i was scheduled for a repeat u/s a week later to see if there was any growth or demise. on 3-21-13 we discovered that baby was still measuring 6w2d and there was no heartbeat. d&c on 3.23.12. i did notice that while i was pregnant my uterus seemed to feel tight, almost like it was trying to expand and couldn't- kind of like light pressure. i have read that enlarged yolk sac usually means chromosomal abnormalities, but part of me wonders if i had scar tissue and maybe the placenta couldn't grow like it should have and maybe that's why i had a large yolk sac? i'm just curious if anyone knows or has experienced anything like this. very sorry this is sadso long and i'm horrible at punctuation :/   rest in peace baby Max 3.21.13

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I don't know :(. I'm do sorry for your loss. It's normal to question EVERY single thing...I know I do it too (((hugs)))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I also had a 9 week miscarriage after getting my iud out.
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
In so sorry for your loss. I've heard some problems with IUD's and definitely a reason I will never do one rather just get my tubes tied.
momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know much about IUDs either.

TheJs
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I had a miscarriage after having my mirena removed too. I'm so sorry for your loss.
MommaBoop922
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Im not sure.  Im so sorry for your loss ((HUGS))

Artillwife01
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I don't know about the enlarged yolk sac but I am sorry for your loss. I have had two losses after a year on the Mirena and before I had 4 children but had never really been on bc for any length of time.

kerri2628
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

i'm just terrified to try again. hopefully i can convince my doctor to do some testing & see if there are any issues that can be resolved. i appreciate all the support ladies, and i'm very sorry for your losses as well, after all we do share the same pain. xoxo

Happy_Mcboobs
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Interesting. 

I had the Mirena after baby #4. I was sure I wanted another baby but I didnt' want one for at least 5 years. I did not want the iud though because I HATE birth control that causes a woman to NOT have a period! Not having a period is NOT NATURAL!

Personal note* I had irregular periods starting at 14 (started periods at age 11) up until I got pregnant with my first at 21. (having babies made me regular--because I never had any issue until after baby #3 where they went a big wonky again but I was breastfeeding and I ended up getting pregnant with #4 so I didn't worry...I have never really worried about it...my mom worried enough for me! Anyways, so I had done the pill...the "breastfeeding pill" (which tends to be different for each OB I meet)....the Nuva Ring....I wasn't feeling doing BC anymore....I turned 30 & I just didn't want to do any BC...but than, I wanted to make sure we waited more than 2 years this time around. So, I went ahead with the Mirena.

It was okay. the not having a period drove me nuts though. My body would feel like it was having a period each month but it wouldn't and I hated that! And than, I just wasn't feeling like myself either. I had been on and off BC since I was 14. And I had been pregnat and breastfeeding. I just wanted to be me. So after a year & a few months--I had it taken out. 

Cheapest BC ever but I was taking it out. I felt so much better without any BC. And we took precautions to prevent as well. Of course, a year after taking it out we hit our 10th anniversary and got our first ever kid free vacation (we never even had a honeymoon!) so we had fun and ended up with baby #5. I made it to the 2nd trimester---19 weeks--gender ultrasound--although the baby didn't make it past 14 weeks.....

I wouldn't say it was the Mirena....I would hope not! But that is the difference between the other pregnancies & this one now that I think about it. :( 

Zealand2008
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Interesting. I have heard bad things from Mirena in the fine print it says can make you sterile so I guess anything is possible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)