Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A new study suggests that moms who have miscarried have higher risk of heart attacks

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

A new study out suggests that moms who have had spontaneous miscarriages have a higher risk of a heart attack or heart disease later in life. 

This does not bode well for me. I have a family history of heart attacks. My dad's mom died at the age of 66 from one, my mom had one before she turned 50, her dad died from one early in life (she was still really young) and the list goes on. 

Does this worry you? Do you have a family history of heart attacks or heart disease? 

You can read more about this here.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mdawn028
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I am not worried. But I have a family history of heart attacks in my family on my dad's side.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chicaespana2003
by Steph on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

As far as I can recall from family history, the only thing against me is high blood pressure. None of my grandparents had heart attacks (that I can recall- and I only knew 3 of the 4, my 4th grandparent died because of lung cancer/emphysema  complications from smoking). Both of my parents are still living, and my mom has a-fib, just like her mom.

I have not been diagnosed with hbp yet.

Reading the study, it appears that they focused on women who were 35-66 yrs old.

I think more information in the study needs to be provided. Did these women experience a mc in that age range (my mom had my lil bro when she was 38, and believes that she may have had a mc 12 yrs before I was born or my oldest sister).

Herlache
by Jessie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
nice just another thing against us!!! so far my side has no heart issues.
mommyofnoah208
by Melissa on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM
wow, that seems harsh! i don't believe I having a family history
busyizzybsmom
by Betsy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM
3 moms liked this

For one thing, that's not a very authoritative looking "article", especially since it starts out with a grammatical error ("A some study revealed the fact") - peer reviewed medical publications generally won't have that! :) Also, I see no source citations. 

That aside, this seems to be a very weak correlation that can be explained in a variety of ways. For example, women with untreated PCOS are at a greatly increased risk for heart disease. Interestingly enough, women with untreated PCOS are also frequently overweight (one of the joys of the disease). Everyone knows that excessive weight and heart disease go hand in hand. PCOS is also a frequent cause of miscarriages. So, I woudn't say that miscarriages cause heart disease, but that PCOS causes heart disease AND miscarriages. It's a much more complex thing than simply "A = B'. It's more like "C predisposes you to A and B, but you could have B without A, or B without C, or A and B without C, or C without A and B. THEN you have to factor in D, E, and F which will also affect your chances of getting B...." and on and on and on. 

Articles like this annoy me more than anything because I think they're trying to get people worked up about inaccurate information.

ragitty
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Does not bother me. No history of it and I am fairly healthy. 

momofcrazypants
by Leslie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM

We do have a history of high blood pressue but usually it's because of poor diet, weight, smoking, drinking, lifestyle, etc. My blood pressure is good. I'm not worried about this. Yet. Lol.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I guess we do have a family history of heart disease in my family, but that being said, my Grandparents lived into their mid to late 80's...not too shabby.  I really don't give this theory too much credit.  I think of my case, had I not decided to have a 6th child, I wouldn't have ever lost a baby...so that would make me less likely to have heart disease?  Just doesn't quite hold water to me.  It makes more sense to me that we are just becoming more aware now...It used to be that heart disease was a "mans" issue...but now we know that heart disease is the number one killer of women.  I don't think it has anything to do with MC, just my theory on the matter.

Happy_Mcboobs
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

This. Except for me it's if I hadn't decided to have a 5th than I wouldn't be in this group... 

It's just more to the "let's make everyone worry themselves to death"...oh boy, we an add something else to the list of let's make people worry when people die over worrying about things they dont' need to worry about....

Eat healthy, exercise,  & LIVE. :) 

Quoting Angela4boys:

I guess we do have a family history of heart disease in my family, but that being said, my Grandparents lived into their mid to late 80's...not too shabby.  I really don't give this theory too much credit.  I think of my case, had I not decided to have a 6th child, I wouldn't have ever lost a baby...so that would make me less likely to have heart disease?  Just doesn't quite hold water to me.  It makes more sense to me that we are just becoming more aware now...It used to be that heart disease was a "mans" issue...but now we know that heart disease is the number one killer of women.  I don't think it has anything to do with MC, just my theory on the matter.

Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
It does not worry me. No family history of heart attacks or heart disease.

I'm more worried about cancer, that runs in my family. My great great grandmother had it, my mom had it, my aunt and my grandfather passed away two months ago from cancer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)