Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ectopic or miscarriage?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone, i am having trouble undstanding whats going on so hopefully someone can shed some light for me. LMP was april21st. I usually have long cycles so i was expecting my period anytime and kept testing because i felt prego. I was in the hospital for a different reason, i have crohns and was having a really bad flare up and they said i was pregnant but hcg was only at 19 which is low for what would have been 5wks. Two days later they tested again and hcg was 18. Now i have to follow up with my family dr for bloodwork to check hcg levels again in a week. Should i be expecting to start bleeding and cramping anytime? If it is ectopic what happens now? I asked them what to expect and they said they were not sure whether it is ectopic or i am just going to miscarry. I feel fine and am having a hard time because i am not sure what is going to happen in the next few weeks. :(

by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicoleeoh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Since you have no pain or spotting I'll guess you'll just miscarry when your hcg levels get close to 0. It could just be like a heavy period or you could have some painful cramping & pass clots. I would keep ibuprofen & pain meds on hand just in case. I'm sorry for your loss & hoping its not ectopic which its not sounding like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I would guess its not ectopic simply because the numbers are so low. I'm surprised the docs didn't US if an ectopic was even a concern, ectopics can be very dangerous. GL honey and I hope you get some answers
mommyofnoah208
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I am so sorry. I would ask for a ultrasound. Thinking of you
Angela4boys
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I've never had an ectopic...but you don't sounds like you are having one to me, just based on many other stories I've read other women post of ectopic pregnancies.  I am so sorry you are going through this Hun (((hugs)))  I'm sorry for your loss.

staciexo
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I had an ultrasound but they said it would be too small to see with an ultrasound still. I am assuming its not ectopic. Its just weird waiting for my body to miscarry. It doesnt feel real.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

I am sorry for your loss. I would guess its not ectopic simply because the numbers are so low. I'm surprised the docs didn't US if an ectopic was even a concern, ectopics can be very dangerous. GL honey and I hope you get some answers

staciexo
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Thanks. I just didnt realize the was an inbetween time waiting to miscarry. I thought it would happen already. Hope it is over with soon. :(

Quoting nicoleeoh:

Since you have no pain or spotting I'll guess you'll just miscarry when your hcg levels get close to 0. It could just be like a heavy period or you could have some painful cramping & pass clots. I would keep ibuprofen & pain meds on hand just in case. I'm sorry for your loss & hoping its not ectopic which its not sounding like.

nicoleeoh
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Yeah. I'm currently going through a "pregnancy of unknown location" that they deemed ectopic. I was even given a methotrexate injection which is chemo to make everything stop growing & was freaking out because a week after the injection & I still had no bleeding but I'd had pain for weeks. Once my betas got lower the bleeding began. I think I'd passed everything & bleeding stopped & now my levels should be getting close to 0 & I've just stopped bleeding from what seemed like a period. Its always different but yes its the worst feeling to know you're losing a baby but not being able to just get it over with to start healing. In your case it should happen any day now but if it doesn't you might have to have a d&c.

Quoting staciexo:

Thanks. I just didnt realize the was an inbetween time waiting to miscarry. I thought it would happen already. Hope it is over with soon. :(

Quoting nicoleeoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicaespana2003
by Steph on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I had an ectopic in November (and was less than a month along according to pathology reports- no formed embryo).

I do not know what the symptoms of Crohns you have experienced. I have a high tolerence to pain.

Usually an ectopic pregnancy, the mom/woman is in lots of pain (so much so that you are doubled over, can't talk or function). I had experienced "sever" bloating and constipation. I had called in to my ob doctor because I had been on bc, and had never experienced any of this when I was on that type of bc before. They told me it was just my body adjusting to the hormones in the pills (this was before I tested again- the then LMP was Aug 24th, I had switched bc Oct 1st - was nursing up until mid september, tested on Oct 10th- neg, had an odd AF that lasted 9 days, stopped bleeding, and started bleeding on the 3 day after, and then tested again Nov 1st- bfp). All month I didn't feel well (due to the constipation).

I had low progesterone levels, which can be an indicator to an ectopic pregnancy (but not for all cases). Have they checked your progesterone levels?

Personally I think you should see an ob/gyn to follow up, because they are more focused on pregnancy than a general practitioner.

Listen to your body, especially for pains! I understand that you might take your symptoms for Crohns as being Crohns, but they could double for an ectopic.

I'm hoping that you have a normal pregnancy going on (and the low HCG levels mean nothing, they can be that low at 5 wks- but with the number going down that does concern me a little.

Wishing you the best of luck, and that it is not ectopic!

staciexo
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry that you are going through a loss right now as well. :( i really thought the bleeding would be a lot worse than it was. Maybe it is just starting for me. I have only been bleeding for two days now and it isn't even as heavy as a normal period for me. I think it finally hit DH and I both last night what is going on. He let me cry it out and we talked about it and now I feel a little better. It really hits the guys hard too.
Seems like everything is going pretty average for me right now. Thanks for the support.

Quoting nicoleeoh:

Yeah. I'm currently going through a "pregnancy of unknown location" that they deemed ectopic. I was even given a methotrexate injection which is chemo to make everything stop growing & was freaking out because a week after the injection & I still had no bleeding but I'd had pain for weeks. Once my betas got lower the bleeding began. I think I'd passed everything & bleeding stopped & now my levels should be getting close to 0 & I've just stopped bleeding from what seemed like a period. Its always different but yes its the worst feeling to know you're losing a baby but not being able to just get it over with to start healing. In your case it should happen any day now but if it doesn't you might have to have a d&c.

Quoting staciexo:

Quoting nicoleeoh:

staciexo
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM

When I went into the ER my main symptoms were pain and vomiting and I think that is why they thought it might be ectopic. It is definitely ruled out that it is ectopic and I am miscarrying naturally now. They didn't check my progesterone levels I don't think. I was exhausted and they gave me morphine and was in a daze that night in the ER so I don't remember much of it now. This is my first loss so all this information from everyone is definitely helpful.
I am just going to follow up with my family dr right now and if everything goes ok i will just leave it at that. From what I have learned it seems to be going fairly average right now.
Thanks for the info and support! It all helps!

Quoting chicaespana2003:

I had an ectopic in November (and was less than a month along according to pathology reports- no formed embryo).

I do not know what the symptoms of Crohns you have experienced. I have a high tolerence to pain.

Usually an ectopic pregnancy, the mom/woman is in lots of pain (so much so that you are doubled over, can't talk or function). I had experienced "sever" bloating and constipation. I had called in to my ob doctor because I had been on bc, and had never experienced any of this when I was on that type of bc before. They told me it was just my body adjusting to the hormones in the pills (this was before I tested again- the then LMP was Aug 24th, I had switched bc Oct 1st - was nursing up until mid september, tested on Oct 10th- neg, had an odd AF that lasted 9 days, stopped bleeding, and started bleeding on the 3 day after, and then tested again Nov 1st- bfp). All month I didn't feel well (due to the constipation).

I had low progesterone levels, which can be an indicator to an ectopic pregnancy (but not for all cases). Have they checked your progesterone levels?

Personally I think you should see an ob/gyn to follow up, because they are more focused on pregnancy than a general practitioner.

Listen to your body, especially for pains! I understand that you might take your symptoms for Crohns as being Crohns, but they could double for an ectopic.

I'm hoping that you have a normal pregnancy going on (and the low HCG levels mean nothing, they can be that low at 5 wks- but with the number going down that does concern me a little.

Wishing you the best of luck, and that it is not ectopic!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)