Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

sadness of decisions

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:10 AM
  • 20 Replies
I had my ultrasound and genetics appt today and it was not good. Basically the dr said there is no amniotic fluid & then he checked the kidneys. He said the baby has polysistic kidneys. Both kidneys have cysts. He offered me a number to terminate and make further planning im 18 weeks & 4 days & I dont know what to do.He said the babys kidneys are shutdown & there is no chance whataoever. It saddens me but this is my reality I dont feel my baby & although my body is nurturing until the very end i know no matter what I do he will not survive. Im so scared but I cannot carry full term knowing that he will die after holding him. This is not a docs first opinion we waited it out hoping his cyst would die down or that his kidneys would work but his kidneys have shutdown. I know im being given 2 choices carry fullterm & watch my baby die or remove pregnancy...

My first pregnancy.. im so scared
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicaespana2003
by Steph on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I tried to do a little research to see how to increase amniotic fluid, and while the resources may not be reliable, they say drinking water.

I don't know how much water you have been drinking, but I'm sure you've been drinking plenty.

A forum I came across in my search stated to stay away from Gatorade. Additionally, they said drinking water at room temperature will absorbe better.

Another suggestion listed is "Knox gelatin." It should be located in the baking isle (near Jello).

I don't know if these suggestions work, but I wanted to help the best I could.

I understand that your decision is not the easiest, but I know deep down you want to do whatever you can for your baby, and you.

Thinking of you! (hugs)

cecy2nv
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Yea I did all the tips in a month and under doc supervision. The issue was not the nutrition from me but that my babys kidneys have shut down...there are cysts on them and without both kidneys human cannot live...I wish I could dig in my stomach & give him both my kidneys in exchange for his life :(
Angela4boys
by Angela on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

((hugs)) I am very sorry you are having to face this. 

chicaespana2003
by Steph on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I'm so sorry, but I'm glad to know dr let you try them. I know you'd do anything for your baby.

Quoting cecy2nv:

Yea I did all the tips in a month and under doc supervision. The issue was not the nutrition from me but that my babys kidneys have shut down...there are cysts on them and without both kidneys human cannot live...I wish I could dig in my stomach & give him both my kidneys in exchange for his life :(

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this

Again I'm sorry you have to make this choice.  It is hard.  Not sure what I can say as my daughter had Anencephaly and just meeting her is all that keeps me going.  I have a plastic mold of her hand and pictures taken for free by a NILMDTS photographer that I will always treasure.  Even if you decide to induce or what ever it is I really hope you have the option and you choose to see your baby because so many people wonder what their baby would have looked like or wished they could have seen and held them.  *hugs*

mrsb2005
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I am so sorry! 

sillymommy08
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

can they not put him on a kidney machine until donor kidneys become available?

Im so sorry you have to go through this.  contact National instuite of health and see if they can help.  they are alwyas doing research to help anyone. 

take some time to figure things out. 

Mommytoaangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs i lost my twin boys at 16wks 05dys pm me if u ever need to talk praying for peace an comfort
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I am SO sorry you're going through this. I personally couldn't terminate, it's something very sad and horrible to experience a pregnancy leading to a baby who will pass, however, I cannot take my child's life into my own hands. I'd rather know for certain he died on his own then knowing I killed him for my whole life.

504bbymami
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I'm very sorry. Have they not tried giving you artificial amniotic fluids? That is what my ex had to do. She still lost the baby but it's worth a try, maybe? Maybe seek a second opinion? (Hugs). I hope you have peace with whatever choice you make.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)