Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about stopping BC pills and ovulation

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

My doctor doesn't seem too concerned but I have a question.  I have been on BC for 5 months I am on the "sugar pills" right now and I am not going to start a new pack next week so we can TTC.  Did anyone have problems with ovulation after being off the pill?  I bought an ovulation kit (just like I did when I got pregnant with my DD), I am just afraid after my chemical pregnancy that I am not going to ovulate again.  Maybe I am being silly but I really want to try for another baby praying that this one will stick.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chicaespana2003
by Steph on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM

A friend of mine when she was planning on ttc, she stopped taking her pills and became preggers right away. While this does not happen for everyone, it worked for her. It had been years since she lost her angel, and she had been on bc for some time (years maybe).

Maybe you could waith a month (off of the pill) before you ttc. That way you will have allowed your body to resume its own "normal" function.

My suggestions are not what most would advise, nor do I have a medical background. I've ovulated while on the pill, and I have always been cautious about tdt if I have ovulated.

Your body knows what to do, and will kick back in fine.

lost2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Now what I have read is that when you are on BC pills you are not suppose to ovulate that is the reason for the BC pill but who knows.  My doctor told me only stop taking the BC pills when I am ready to get pregnant cause you will/can get pregnant right away.  I guess I am worried that I will not ovulate anymore, I have had only one miscarriage and I am just worried that I will take the ovulation test and not get a positive.  The reason I am worring is because I was on BC pills but when I started my pack two months ago I was on an antibiotic so I took ovulation tests to make sure that I was not ovulating since the antibiotic could interfere with the BC pills and I never ovulated but it could have been that I was on the pill and the medicine did not affect the efficiency of the pills.  I continued to take the pills for July and now I am due for my AF this week then I am not continuing next week with my new pack.

busyizzybsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

5 months isn't terribly long to be on BC pills, so I think any effects would be minimal. BC pills actually *helped* me to get pregnant with my first because they got my body into the habit of cycling regularly (which it used to not do!). I know that the pill does cause problems for some women (it could screw with your hormonal imbalance), but like I said, 5 months isn't very long. I'd guess you might ovulate a little late, but I don't think it should prevent ovulation. I buy the cheap ovulation tests online (roughly $0.80 each) so that I can take 2 or 3 per day sometimes to be sure. Sometimes I have to be taking tests for 2 weeks in a row before I'll get a positive, but it happens! Anyway. Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

lost2013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I actually this time around bought the expensive one ($35.00) but it is a two month supply and it shows a happy face when you are ovulating so you know you are.  I will for sure keep you guys updated.  My doctor did tell me not to get to stressed about TTC cause it can take a whole year to concieve but she will not be concerned until a whole year goes by with no pregnancy to show for.  But with my first I got pregnant in 5 months in to trying (the 5th month I used a ovulation kit and got my rainbow baby), my second I was not trying and it ended in a miscarriage.  I am just worried about miscarring again the doctor says not to worry about that either easier said then done.  But my last pregnancy I was only 4 weeks so if I pass the 4 week mark with no problems then I will be a little less worried/stressed.

Angela4boys
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I didn't, but I conceived on the pill twice, and with my second child, I went off the pill the day I should have been ovulating, day 14, and 2 weeks later got a positive pregnancy test.  I know I have read it may take 2-3 months after going off BC to regulate...but that wasn't my experience.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I was on my 3rd pack of pills- about 5 days after my period- and decided I was ready to TTC (well I figured it would take a few months to clear the BC out of my system).  Apparently I ovulated about 3-4 days after going off the pill and BAM, little Gemma will be here in about 8 weeks!!!!! 

Devious103102
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM

You should be fine, a lot of people become pregnant right after stopping the pill. Good luck and lots of sticky dust!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)