Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Question for people who already have one child and birth control

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone had a successful pregnancy, a miscarriage, gone on birth control then stopped birth control and had a successful pregnancy? If so, how long did it take to conceive that baby?
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife-4-life
by Shannon on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Here's a bump.

I was on BC, had a MC, then got pregnant (all while still on BC- a reg 2 hormone pill). After dd1 was born did NFP and got pregnant, had dd2 then went back on BC. Had a MC and then got pregnant with dd3 (again, all while on a BC this was a mini pill-prog only).
iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM

me!  Don't get discouraged.  Before my first baby I was on bc for about 7 years and it took me about 2 years to get pregnant.  Then I had and IUD for 4 years, had it removed and got pregnant on my 2nd cycle (3 months).  After 3 miscarriages I went on a strong dose bc pill (doc didn't want me to really bleed a lot because she thought it would be traumatic).  I stoped my 3rd month of pills about 4 days before ovulation and surprise surprise I got pregnant days after just a few days off the pill.  That little miracle is currently dancing on my bladder and will be born any day now.  Its not normal to ovulate that quick, my doc said I should expect to get pregnant within 6 months of going off short term birth control.  When was your loss and how long did you take the pill and how long have you been off it?

chicaespana2003
by Steph on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM

While I am not actively TTC'ing, I had my dd, then had a mc w/o bc, went on bc (mini-pill), weaned my daughter and switched bc (reg pill), and then became preg while on bc. I lost that baby (ectopic), and have resumed bc. I worry about when I ovulate or around the time I would be most fertile.

A friend of mine who planned to stop taking bc to have a baby, (she had mc'ed years before) got preg immediately after stopping bc.

I hope that if you are trying, that things happen soon for you and you don't have to worry so much. If your thinking about stopping bc to try soon, I'll be looking forward to seeing how your results go, as I will be TTC next fall.

lost2013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I miscarried on Feb. 22nd and started BC pills the first week of March went off of them on July 13th so only 5 months) had bleeding on July 18th and have no bleeding since.  I am 7 days past my expected period date, I had 5 urine test and one blood test done all negative.  I did do an ovulation kit but no positives from July 22nd to August August 11th.  But when I was on the pill from 2002-2010 and had bleeding every month when I was suppose to then got pregnant 5 months later, then had my daughter in Jan. 2012, miscarried in Feb. 2013, the BC pills March-July.  I am just worried it wont happen because last time I went off the pill I got my period 4 weeks after stopping the pill and every month until May when I became pregnant and this time pregnancy or menstrual symptoms but no AF or pregnancy.  Frustrated.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

me!  Don't get discouraged.  Before my first baby I was on bc for about 7 years and it took me about 2 years to get pregnant.  Then I had and IUD for 4 years, had it removed and got pregnant on my 2nd cycle (3 months).  After 3 miscarriages I went on a strong dose bc pill (doc didn't want me to really bleed a lot because she thought it would be traumatic).  I stoped my 3rd month of pills about 4 days before ovulation and surprise surprise I got pregnant days after just a few days off the pill.  That little miracle is currently dancing on my bladder and will be born any day now.  Its not normal to ovulate that quick, my doc said I should expect to get pregnant within 6 months of going off short term birth control.  When was your loss and how long did you take the pill and how long have you been off it?

iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
hmmmm... I would give it another 4 or 5 days and take an FRER. With this baby I got a negative BLOOD test a day or so before my period was supposed to start, and finally a positive HPT at about 7 days late. Doc just assumed I ovulated late, but baby from day one was measuring perfectly to my assumed original ovulation date. If you don't start soon, call the doc and get another blood test and they can give you something to jump start your period if the test is negative. GL
Quoting lost2013:

I miscarried on Feb. 22nd and started BC pills the first week of March went off of them on July 13th so only 5 months) had bleeding on July 18th and have no bleeding since.  I am 7 days past my expected period date, I had 5 urine test and one blood test done all negative.  I did do an ovulation kit but no positives from July 22nd to August August 11th.  But when I was on the pill from 2002-2010 and had bleeding every month when I was suppose to then got pregnant 5 months later, then had my daughter in Jan. 2012, miscarried in Feb. 2013, the BC pills March-July.  I am just worried it wont happen because last time I went off the pill I got my period 4 weeks after stopping the pill and every month until May when I became pregnant and this time pregnancy or menstrual symptoms but no AF or pregnancy.  Frustrated.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I think it really depends on what birth control you were on.  I heard the Depo can take a long time to ttc after.  I didn't miscarry my daughter she was born sleeping but after I had her I went on the birth patch for about 4 or 5 months.  We decided to concieve around 6 months after we lost our daughter and within 6 weeks I was pregnant.  But I have always been what my family calls me "a fertile mertle."

jojo_star
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I was on bc, got off, ttc'd, had two miscarriages and a stillbirth, got back on birth control and got pregnant while on bc. I'm currently 16 weeks.
lost2013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM
The doctor wants me to wait until October 3rd to see if I get a period at all, then we will do more tests to see why I have not gotten my period if I don't by then. I tested August 13, August 15th, August 16th, August 17th, and August 20th, and a blood test on August 20th and it was less then 2 all negative. My OB really thinks that my body is just regulating and that is what is going on, maybe I will test every Thursday HPT since I was suppose to get it on August 15th. I am also going to start my ovulation kit again and see what happens. I also used a FRER on August 15th, so maybe I will take another one tomorrow and then next week since I have two left.
Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

hmmmm... I would give it another 4 or 5 days and take an FRER. With this baby I got a negative BLOOD test a day or so before my period was supposed to start, and finally a positive HPT at about 7 days late. Doc just assumed I ovulated late, but baby from day one was measuring perfectly to my assumed original ovulation date. If you don't start soon, call the doc and get another blood test and they can give you something to jump start your period if the test is negative. GL
Quoting lost2013:

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES:

sunpeaches1
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I had a tubal, then fetal demise & d&c, then had a son full term, then another fetal demise & d&c, then another son full term... after my youngest I put in the mirena 5yr iud. I had it out after 5 yrs this past feb & in june had a positive test. ...it was not meant to be tho. Good luck :)
Angela4boys
by Angela on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I had DS1, went on BC, when he was 1, we decided we wanted another. I went off BC, and 2 weeks later got a BFP. Had DS2, went on BC. When he was about 2, I found out I was pregnant, and I was on BC. I had DS3, went on BC, when he was about 1 1/2 I found out I was pregnant again, and again, while on BC! Had DS4...this time decided no more BC. Started doing natural family planning. When DS4 was 3 we decided to have another, pregnant first try. Since DD1 was born we have easily gotten pregnant, but have had 3 losses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)