Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Anyone ever have a hysterosalpingography?????

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

Yesterday I had an exam and had some of my worries delt with.... I lost our baby two months ago and have been bleeding off an on ever since and I was starting to think that maybe something else was wrong too.... MD says that I am currently ok... everything looks good (relief)... she ordered a bunch of tests to be run too which I am totally ok with, I want to know now if I have other issues before becoming pregnant again... I don't want to be surprised by something we can deal with now.... so that was all good.

One of the tests that they want to do is a hysterosalpingography (or HSG)... they gave me a little booklet that really explains nothing.... anyone else ever had one?  What does it intail?  Does it hurt?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
busyizzybsmom
by Betsy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard of them mostly in relation to women who are trying to conceive. They basically inject a liquid dye up through your cervix into your uterus and then do a scan (CT? I don't remember) to see where the dye flows. They're checking to make sure your fallopian tubes are clear and there are no blockages. I've heard a lot of women say that it helped to sort of "flush" them out and they had a much easier time conceiving after that. 

I imagine that there would be some pain with the injection of the dye, but not much. Good luck!

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I had 1 done after an ectopic 11 yrs ago. Recentlt had another ectopic that took my left tube this time. I was worried about my right & doc said only way to know for sure it is clear is to do it again. But she said it looked healthy from the exterior to her when she looked during surgery & had no reason to think otherwise. She said if I don't get preg again in about a yr she would then advise doing it...
MomOf3AngelBabe
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I have actually. Its uncomfortable but I wouldnt say painful.

They set you up like youre having a pap then inject liquid dye to circulate through your reproductive system. ;) 

I had it done for diagnostic reasons but it also helped me get pregnant.

Im very sorry for the loss of your baby! 

chicaespana2003
by Steph on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Here is a link to WebMD with info on it. I know that the above mom's here have experienced it, but in case you wished to read up on it.

I'm keeping this in mind in case I have issues getting preg (when we try), because I had an ectopic last Nov, and lost part of my left tube.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/hysterosalpingogram-21590

mommyofnoah208
by Melissa on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Good luck and hope you get answers and that everything is ok.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)