Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

The ER was horrible to me...and I'm not going to stand for it

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

I had a horrible ER experience which happened on the day of and the day after my anniversary (pm turned to am due to the SIX HOURS I was there). I have been hearing about similar experiences of women through this and other sites...I decided to fight back and sent the hospital the following message...

I am writing to complain regarding my recent ER experience that occurred on 09/19/13 and 09/20/13.

I visited the ER due to bleeding and a threatened miscarriage. I was kept there six hours and given the following tests: two belly ultrasounds, a pelvic exam, a blood draw, and FINALLY a transvaginal ultrasound which diagnosed my issue as a missed miscarriage.

At only 8 weeks pregnant, the above tests (aside from the transvaginal ultrasound) were not going to provide much pertinent information at the time regarding if I was having a miscarriage or not. They were unnecessary, a waste of time, and I suspect a convenient way to rack up a large bill for my insurance company and myself. I do not understand why I was not given a transvaginal ultrasound first and foremost, that which ultimately provided the final diagnosis AFTER I had been there for 6 emotionally exhausting hours.

Furthermore, you really need to provide your staff with training on how to speak to women who are going through miscarriage. The Nurse Practitioner who treated me told me what had happened, then said I would pass "tissue" over the next few days. This is ridiculous. A pregnancy and future baby did not simply turn into "tissue" in the 5 minutes between when I did not know, then knew the baby had died.

I am expecting that neither I nor my insurance company will be billed for the unnecessary tests that were performed. If I do not hear from someone within the next 24 hours, I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If I am billed, I will initiate a lawsuit regarding my emotional distress during this situation. Thank you for your time.

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lost2013
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, good for you and yeah a baby should not be referred to as tissue!  When I had my miscarriage the ER doctor seemed to care they did blood and a trans vaginal ultrasound right away.  Although getting in the back to be seen was a different story I finally broke down and told the man at the front desk that I am bleeding and probably having a miscarriage then all of a sudden they took me back after waiting an hour to just to be checked in.

BrittSam2011
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Damn, that's horrible. My oldest son once split open his eyebrow days before his second birthday when I was a few weeks pregnant and when I took him to the ER they made us wait in the lobby for 4 HOURS and in the room for another 2 hours. Well before they even got to his eyebrow I fell asleep on the hospital bed with my poor baby and when I woke up I found out I had miscarried on the hospital bed. It was horrible. They finally came in, stitched up my son, and we just left. I think if I hadn't been so stressed having 2 toddlers in an ER for hours (before DH came to get our youngest) and having my sons head bleeding constantly, I probably wouldn't have miscarried. But idk.

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you were treated that way and I am so glad you are speaking up about it so hopefully they will start to make changes.

davegirl
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I am glad you were at least treated a little more humanely. I mean, they were busy but I feel like their "B" staff was on that night or something...good grief.

Quoting lost2013:

Wow, good for you and yeah a baby should not be referred to as tissue!  When I had my miscarriage the ER doctor seemed to care they did blood and a trans vaginal ultrasound right away.  Although getting in the back to be seen was a different story I finally broke down and told the man at the front desk that I am bleeding and probably having a miscarriage then all of a sudden they took me back after waiting an hour to just to be checked in.

davegirl
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh no :( I'm sorry you went through that. Having to worry about your living boy and then have that happen to one inside...that's awful, I'm sorry. I don't think it caused your m/c though. Toddlers are stressful anyway :) My sis-in-law has stair steps and her first one is a terror...if that kind of stress could cause it I don't know if the other two would be here. But I guess sometimes we'll just never know...that's what's so maddening about this, the never knowing if it could have been prevented. Which most can't I guess but you still have that thought always in the back of your mind. ((((Hugs))))

Quoting BrittSam2011:

Damn, that's horrible. My oldest son once split open his eyebrow days before his second birthday when I was a few weeks pregnant and when I took him to the ER they made us wait in the lobby for 4 HOURS and in the room for another 2 hours. Well before they even got to his eyebrow I fell asleep on the hospital bed with my poor baby and when I woke up I found out I had miscarried on the hospital bed. It was horrible. They finally came in, stitched up my son, and we just left. I think if I hadn't been so stressed having 2 toddlers in an ER for hours (before DH came to get our youngest) and having my sons head bleeding constantly, I probably wouldn't have miscarried. But idk.

Angela4boys
by Angela on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you, I'm glad you are standing up for youself.  (((hugs)))

mommyofnoah208
by Melissa on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I am sorry
sjozuna06
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
The er wasn't so bad to me... Only thing the ultrasound tech didn't tell me anything or did she let me see my baby... When er doctor came to tell me about my ectopic there were so many nurses in the little room while drawing my blood and trying to look in my cervix... It was just crazy and my doctor came and told me that my baby was still alive... Other then that it was ok
davegirl
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I am glad <3 When you think about it miscarriages aren't all going to happen between the hours of 8 and 5. I am glad some doctors have a clue. My ultrasound tech wouldn't tell me anything either. When it's bad news I don't think they're allowed to :( I looked at her face though, and thought she looked a little teary. That must be a tough job.

Quoting sjozuna06:

The er wasn't so bad to me... Only thing the ultrasound tech didn't tell me anything or did she let me see my baby... When er doctor came to tell me about my ectopic there were so many nurses in the little room while drawing my blood and trying to look in my cervix... It was just crazy and my doctor came and told me that my baby was still alive... Other then that it was ok

davegirl
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Update: Two higher ups called me today from the hospital. One was a nurse director of something or other and the other one was a doctor director of something or other. The nurse was a woman and she was nice enough, if a bit saccharine and phony. The man was a little of a different story. He started talking about all the tests they ran and I felt like he was giving me an Obstetrics 101 lecture. I interrupted and said, look, all due respect, but you are not going to convince me all of those tests were necessary. Either tell me they are coming off my bill or not so I can either sue you or move on with my life.

After a minute of silence he said the abdominal ultrasounds would not be charged, the doctors thought they might see something without having to be invasive. Which I get. He then talked about the urine test they took to check for pregnancy....? I said look pal I'm not crazy and I had an HCG blood test in THAT hospital on 08/23, then an HCG blood test AND transvaginal ultrasound in THAT hospital on 08/30 BEFORE all this happened, you'd think someone could have click click clicked and found that out. Further, no one explained ANY of the tests they did (including the blood test, which I thought took 48 hours to get HCG levels, turns out they can get them in 60 minutes, which further pissed me off, because no one told me what they were). The pelvic exam was the worst though. They took some tissue from my cervix. He said that's something we have to send away, we wouldn't have gotten the results that night. That stupid tissue sat on that counter staring at me from its tube almost the entire six hours I was there...someone finally took it ten minutes before I got the awful news. I told this guy on the phone, AGAIN, doesn't seem like something needed in an EMERGENCY situation. I said I wasn't looking for a complete obstetric work-up, I just wanted to know what was happening to my baby. Then to have that NP call my baby "tissue," that was the last straw.

Both the lady and the man today say they know this NP and she's very compassionate. The lady (who was the nurse) said the nurses had all had sensitivity training from a miscarriage support group, and if I hadn't left a nurse would have given me pamphlets on grief. Probably after another hour...I said that's nice but after hearing my baby called "tissue" I don't think the pamphlets were going to do the trick. I told both the man and the lady today: Maybe since the DOCTORS and the NP's are the ones gving the news, they are the ones who need the training...maybe when they give the news, they need to say, "Double check with your OB as soon as you can, but here is some information just in case it happens..I'm so sorry." The doctor said when people go through m/c at home they are often not prepared for what they see and that what is what the NP who talked to me tried to do. Nice try...but telling me I'm going to pass "tissue" would not have prepared me for some of the devastating things I have read about on this forum. Maybe some of you ladies should consider a career in medicine.

Long story short he is referring my case to "Risk Management"--ha! This has been a good thing for me...I am a person who kicks a** and takes names. I feel kind of like my old self today :) The doctor on the phone said he would be open to doing some sensitivity training with doctors and NP's. I am hoping through speaking out I have spared other women from going through this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)