Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Life after miscarriage, car accident and pulmonary embolism

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband and I tried to get pregnant for 1-1/2 years. We did everthing we could. We did Provera to make me get a period, I took Clomid, I took my temperature daily, etc, etc. Month after month it was a disappointment after the next.... another negative test. We had just bought a house so I said I was done with the pills, I was done taking my temperature... and it was that cycle that I got pregnant! We were so happy. A few days before we were going in for our 8 week ultrasound, I noticed my pregnancy symptoms were starting to fade. I didn't think much of it at the time. We got to see our little angel on the monitor, we saw the heartbeat... we saw he/she moving around. But the doctor's face wasn't reassuring. He said our baby was only measuring 6 weeks and had a heartrate of 77 bpm. They scheduled me for a follow-up ultrasound the next week.

We had our followup ultrasound and we were told our baby no longer had a heartbeat. We were devastated. I tried to hold it together, I just wanted to get home so I could cry my eyes out. I elected to do the cytotec. We then headed home. My husband and I were in different vehicles and had gone separate ways home. I was talking to my mom on the phone about the miscarriage when out of nowhere, a vehicle made a U-turn in the road when I was going about 55 mph and hit the front end of my car. My car went spinning out of control, hit the brim of the road and rolled three times over an embankment landing the opposite way I was traveling on the roof. This accident occured 2 hours after I found out I lost my baby. I was taken to the emergency room by ambulance.  I suffered pulmonary contusions and abdominal hematomas and was having major contractions and heavy bleeding from the Cytotec too. Everyone thought it was a miracle that I walked away with minor injuries, even the ambulance driver couldn't believe it. My husband kissed my forehead when I got out of the ambulance and said our baby kept me safe. Everyone kept talking about the accident, how it occured, my injuries, etc... and I just wanted to scream above them all that I lost a baby that day too.

We had plans to try again as soon as we could. As soon as I was healed from the accident and began my periods again. But fate had yet another twist for me. I woke up one day with horrible chest/back pain. I was coughing up blood. Every breath felt like a stab of a knife. My co-workers made me go to the ER and to my surprise due to the contusions of my lung, I also had suffered a pulmonary embolism and infarction (basically a blood clot that cut off the blood supply to my lung and caused a section of my lung to die). I was admitted for 5 days and had to start on a minimum of 6 months of Coumadin, this drug can cause devastating birth defects so I cannot get pregnant during this time.

Three more months left of Coumadin, I am praying so anyway. Since my clot was caused by an injury I should be able to get off the Coumadin in March. I'm praying for a normal d-dimer and CAT scan at that time. I am praying that I can try to have another baby then. In the meantime, I'm just trying to stay strong.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Replies (11-11):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh hun, you have been through so much, I'm so sorry (((hugs)))  Thank you for sharing your story with us.  Praying for your healing, and you get your rainbow baby soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN