Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

d&c question (kind of silly)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM
  • 17 Replies
So I think I'm actually having what I've seen some of you call a "D&E" except my doctor used the term suction D&C. That makes me feel slightly better as it seems there's fewer risks.

But anyway...

Can I have nail polish on my toes?

And is this considered surgery?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM
D&C is generally first trimester loss. Stands for Dilation and Curettage. D&E, second trimester and beyond, when the baby is bigger, stands for Dilation and Evacuation. Same basic procedure, takes about 5 minutes more.

Not a silly question at all. Even doctors sometimes use the terms interchangeably.
Angela4boys
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, and yes, my toes are always nicely polished, and they stayed that way. Both are considered a surgical procedure.
sjenkins8208
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes you can paint your toes! Or wear crazy socks even. Sorry for your loss
Herlache
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM
First no question is silly here! I had my toes painted for my last d & c they never said anything. I think they considered outpatient surgery. I know it all sounds scary but I had very good experiences with my d & c's (the best you can in this situation) I'm praying you get some good nurses and everything goes as planned!
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM
That's what I read. D&C for first tri and D&E for second, but suction D&C and D&E interchangable. He sspecifically called it suction D&C, so I'm hoping for minimal or no scraping then? I think that's what I'm scared about the most. The scraping. *shudder*

Quoting Angela4boys: D&C is generally first trimester loss. Stands for Dilation and Curettage. D&E, second trimester and beyond, when the baby is bigger, stands for Dilation and Evacuation. Same basic procedure, takes about 5 minutes more.

Not a silly question at all. Even doctors sometimes use the terms interchangeably.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM
I feel like good nurses make or break an experience. I usually have lots of luck with amazing nurses, so I'm crossing my fingers!

I ask about the polish cause when I'm feeling down I like to pamper myself, clean up my outer appearance. I shaved my legs, waxed my brows, and now I want to do my toes. I just felt silly asking :P

Quoting Herlache: First no question is silly here! I had my toes painted for my last d & c they never said anything. I think they considered outpatient surgery. I know it all sounds scary but I had very good experiences with my d & c's (the best you can in this situation) I'm praying you get some good nurses and everything goes as planned!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM
I never think to add my wisdom teeth to the list when they ask if I've ever had surgery. So I guess I need to remember that, and now this, huh!

Quoting Angela4boys: Oh, and yes, my toes are always nicely polished, and they stayed that way. Both are considered a surgical procedure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:15 PM
I had the scraping D&C...while awake. Since you won't be awake ;). I won't bore you with the details ;).

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: That's what I read. D&C for first tri and D&E for second, but suction D&C and D&E interchangable. He sspecifically called it suction D&C, so I'm hoping for minimal or no scraping then? I think that's what I'm scared about the most. The scraping. *shudder*

Quoting Angela4boys: D&C is generally first trimester loss. Stands for Dilation and Curettage. D&E, second trimester and beyond, when the baby is bigger, stands for Dilation and Evacuation. Same basic procedure, takes about 5 minutes more.

.sp4rkl3z.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:19 PM
*runs away* LOL!!! Eeeekkkkkk!!! I'm so squeamish. I read this fictional horror short story on FB yesterday and had my BP taken right after, 170/98! The nurse panicked, she's like ARE YOU OKAY?! This story was so intense lmao!!!

Quoting Angela4boys: I had the scraping D&C...while awake. Since you won't be awake ;). I won't bore you with the details ;).

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: That's what I read. D&C for first tri and D&E for second, but suction D&C and D&E interchangable. He sspecifically called it suction D&C, so I'm hoping for minimal or no scraping then? I think that's what I'm scared about the most. The scraping. *shudder*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM
I think the reason they ask us about surgeries is because they want to know about how we did during anesthesia, complications we may have had, if we are missing organs, it also clues them into other health issues we may have, etc.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: I never think to add my wisdom teeth to the list when they ask if I've ever had surgery. So I guess I need to remember that, and now this, huh!

Quoting Angela4boys: Oh, and yes, my toes are always nicely polished, and they stayed that way. Both are considered a surgical procedure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)