Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doctors appt

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have been reading posts and see everyone talking about the hcg levels and getting tests donenow I am confused because I had my d&c on 2/14/14 and my doctor had me make an appointment for six weeks . which I thought was fine and normal but after reading I am concern and confused
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shorty6160
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Mine had me make it for 2 weeks after. I go in on Friday, I'm not sure why they would tell you 6 that seems like a long time to wait.

wwemom84
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I delivered my son on 2/16/14 and my doc made appointment in 2 weeks.

CountryMom2014
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I go in tomorrow. Just a little over two weeks since my loss. 6 weeks seems like a long time.
Herlache
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM
I went in a week after my miscarriages. I had my levels checked to make sure they were coming down. They checked them once a week till they were normal again.
awalter01
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM
If hcgs don't go down then is possible they need to try again (not common). And your levels should level back to normal before trying again. Do what is comfortable. I sure if you made an earlier appointment they would understand.
Mamasita7176
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:38 AM

You can also take hpt to make sure hcg  is down, but I know at a time like this peeing on a stick is emotionally heartbreaking. 

Angela4boys
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I never had my hcg levels checked after any of my losses. I've had three losses, a D&E, a D&C, and a natural loss. If you are feeling physically fine, your period returns, all that stuff, there really isn't a reason for you to be concerned. Just be sure you go to your check up so they can be sure your body is returning to normal.
Angela4boys
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:15 AM
I did this after my second and third loss...it was mostly out of curiosity, how long it would take to get a negative.

Quoting Mamasita7176:

You can also take hpt to make sure hcg  is down, but I know at a time like this peeing on a stick is emotionally heartbreaking. 

chicaespana2003
by Steph on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I can see how posts about being checked regularly after a loss to ensure hcg levels are going down can raise flags for you.

Some dr's may make the decision for you, as they may believe that "oh this is your first loss, you don't seem to be ready, come back in 6 wks (or never for this one)". Of course I have no idea what dr's are really thinking.

With my first loss (natural mc), I never had any blood drawn. My first appt w u/s confirmed the pregnancy and mc all in one session. Then a follow up appointment was made to ensure that I had passed the baby on my own (dr was pushing that I have a d&c at my first appt). In that situation, I wasn't trying to get preg, I had my then 8mo old dd who I was nursing.

My second loss was ectopic, and thus I needed to have my levels checked once a week to ensure that the numbers were going down.

You can always ask your dr why they were not concerned about checking your levels as you are aware that some women are monitored. Be prepared for your dr to say something less than plesant like "Oh, I didn't know that you wanted us to do that."

I hope that if you wish to go in earlier that they are willing to let you come in, and that your appointment goes well.

cherubgrl421
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I had a d&c with all three of my m/c and only with this last one has the dr asked me to come in for a followup. I guess every dr has their own way of doing things, but you have to do what is right for you. I say call the dr and question him/her if you are concerned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)