Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Trouble sleeping?!?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:28 AM
  • 12 Replies
Good evening~~

I've had a lot of trouble sleeping for the last 5 weeks (since my loss). It doesn't matter how tired I am I just can't fall asleep.... Any one go through this? For how long? Any tips?
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicaespana2003
by Steph on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I'm afraid I'm not much help with this, as with my first loss, I was probably still getting up during the night to care for my dd (then 8 mo old). With my second loss (ectopic), I would wake up everytime I changed sleeping positions.

Perhaps you could try to write things down in a notepad about your day, your thoughts, everything that you want to get out so that you have a clear mind, preferably when you are not in bed. Then when you go to bed try not to have any "distractions" such as tv, reading a book (depending on what its about or genre). If you don't do these things (tv, reading), and are of faith- perhaps you could pray.

I hope that you are able to get some sleep- and I'll pray for you.

Herlache
by Jessie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM
I had trouble sleeping. Someone suggested benadryl I took that a few times knocked me out. Slept real good. Long term I had to realize it wasn't my fault and I talked to a certain mom on here. After I opened up the flood gates released and I was alot better. Hope it helps. Not sleeping is no fun!
mylilprincesses
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM
((Hugs)) its one of the steps of grieving. There no telling how long it can go on for.
akrogers13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Almost 3 weeks since my mc and in having trouble sleeping as well.. once I lay down for bed everything races thru my mind.. I pay every night when the feelings start flooding in and it helps to get me to sleep, but I still wake constantly thru the night.. hoping to get some advice add well!
xxSkittlezxx
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Benadryl doesn't help and I'd like to avoid drugs at all costs- too dangerous/ addictive..... Just thought I'd ask what helped others since I feel this is likely very common after the loss
iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I like the idea of writing before bed. Write down the things bothering you and then shut the book and you can't worry about them because the book is shut (easier said then done). But if you try, it will work eventually. Hugs. How about a glass of wine, that might help

Quoting chicaespana2003:

I'm afraid I'm not much help with this, as with my first loss, I was probably still getting up during the night to care for my dd (then 8 mo old). With my second loss (ectopic), I would wake up everytime I changed sleeping positions.

Perhaps you could try to write things down in a notepad about your day, your thoughts, everything that you want to get out so that you have a clear mind, preferably when you are not in bed. Then when you go to bed try not to have any "distractions" such as tv, reading a book (depending on what its about or genre). If you don't do these things (tv, reading), and are of faith- perhaps you could pray.

I hope that you are able to get some sleep- and I'll pray for you.

Dannimarie418
by Danielle on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
The ob psych I went to see told me to write in a book every thought going through my head for 15 minutes or till I couldn't write anymore then shut it and go to bed. Never did it.... I'm addicted to my phone
Irene1923
by Tina on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM
I couldn't sleep for a while either. Writing really did help, but that has always been a go to for me. Maybe start a routine and stick to it. And no electronics or other distractions. Maybe try soft music? Also there are some basic meditation techniques you could google that might help. Hope you get some sleep soon.
Angela4boys
by Angela on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I had bouts of insomnia after my losses. I think because it's the quiet time that allows my mind to go on overtime.
nolanquin
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM
I had sleeping issues for over a month straight after Nolan's service. Our room is across from his nursery. I had it in my head I should have a newborn home I should be getting up to feed him or change him. I was up ever hour. I would realize he wasn't there then I would break down. I talked to my Dr he prescribed me something for depression which contained something that helped me sleep.
I tired taking hot baths right before bed. I did right in a journal I still do every night. It helps to get your frustration and hurt out. I read a lot of books. I would read until 2 in the morning hoping to make myself so tired. I talk to a therapist and this is a normal stage of grief. What I did do was force myself to follow a schedule and it helped out.
I'm very sorry for your loss. And the fact anyone has to go through. Its been almost 8 months for me and still struggle some days. I remember what someone told me you never get over it, you just learn to cope with the pain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)