Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

PCOS questions... Just having a hard time with all this

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hey Ladies, 

I am supposed to be going to the doctor next week to have some tests ran to see if I have PCOS. My doctor said she thought that I maybe suffering from PCOS but she wanted to confirm it with some test. I am having acne pretty badly on my face and neck. I am having tons of cramping and not major major bleeding but break through bleeding on my birth control that she specifically told me to go back on my birth control to get the bleeding under control. I have wasn't having horrible bleeding but I was bleeding for a long time. My birth control does say that it can cause some cramping and break through bleeding as well... Mainly, I am just looking for someone who can help give me a heads up of what I am going to exect... what helps with this stuff? Any information is so much appreciated ... thank ladies

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by Angela on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM
I don't have PCOS, but I know we have several ladies here that suffer with it. One good thing is, once you know, you at least can develop a game plan. I know PCOS can make conception more tricky...but not impossible.

Any idea when you'll know?
wife-4-life
by Shannon on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I have PCOS and endo. My periods are death. Severe cramps, large clotting, heavy bleeding. Break through bleeding on BC. I also get cysts often. They either dissipate or rupture. Ruptures hurt more than my labor. Hormone therapy is one treatment.

The only way to really know for sure is with tests. I've heard that endo & PCOS can cause fertility issues. I never seemed to have a problem with that but I have had a little trouble with keeping some pregnancies. Conf by my dr- I've had 5preg. MC, dd1, dd2, MC, dd3.
busyizzybsmom
by Betsy on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago when we were trying to get pregnant with our 2nd baby. I had 2-3 cycles per year but wasn't ovulating for them. I'm in the 7% of PCOSers with hyperandrogenism and chronic anovulation (there are 4 different classifications for PCOS, that's mine). I don't struggle with weight or heavy/painful periods. So, you're probably in a different classification and what worked for me *might* not work for you.

The combined birth control pill really helped me to even out my cycles and get me ovulating. Are you only on the progesterone one? That one is known for its breakthrough bleeding and won't help with your cycles quite as much. The thing that really worked for me was metformin. After about 6 months on it I go from 5 month long anovulatory cycles to 30 day ovulatory cycles, which is huge for me. I tried vitex (a natural "regulator") but it did absolutely nothing for me. I've now conceived 4 babies on metformin, 2 went to term, 1 died at 8 wks, and I'm 28 wks with the 4th. I stay on the metformin through my first trimester to help keep my hormone levels in balance and maintain a healthy pregnancy. 

I hope that gives you some idea of what you might expect. Best of luck to you and I hope you're able to get it all worked out!

JoshuasGirlNMC
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM

She said she would know something next week... :( My doctor told me that it wouldn't be impossible for me to get pregnant considering I have been pregnant before. But ended in a loss. 

Quoting Angela4boys: I don't have PCOS, but I know we have several ladies here that suffer with it. One good thing is, once you know, you at least can develop a game plan. I know PCOS can make conception more tricky...but not impossible. Any idea when you'll know?

JoshuasGirlNMC
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Yeah my cramps are not to that level yet anywyas... I just have break through bleeding on my birth control as well but I am not sure if thats the birth control doing that or my body from the pcos LOL. The birth control said their could be cramping and break through bleeding the first 3 -4 months. My bleeding on my birth control haven't been super super heavey just brownish blood sometimes redish... But I have been breaking out on my face like no other. My doctor doesn't seem to think that I am going to have a problem getting pregnant. It might take a little longer then normal but she said that since I have been pregnat before (lost it) she doesn't think that will be my issue as well... What do you do when you are having rough days?? are there any special vitamins that you take that help with these issues or medication that I can talk to my doctor about at my next visit?

Thank you so much for your responce! 

Quoting wife-4-life: I have PCOS and endo. My periods are death. Severe cramps, large clotting, heavy bleeding. Break through bleeding on BC. I also get cysts often. They either dissipate or rupture. Ruptures hurt more than my labor. Hormone therapy is one treatment. The only way to really know for sure is with tests. I've heard that endo & PCOS can cause fertility issues. I never seemed to have a problem with that but I have had a little trouble with keeping some pregnancies. Conf by my dr- I've had 5preg. MC, dd1, dd2, MC, dd3.

JoshuasGirlNMC
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Wow hon, thank you so much for this very insightful information. This really helped me out. Lets me know more of what I am going to expect when I go back to the doctors. Thank you so much ! 

Quoting busyizzybsmom:

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago when we were trying to get pregnant with our 2nd baby. I had 2-3 cycles per year but wasn't ovulating for them. I'm in the 7% of PCOSers with hyperandrogenism and chronic anovulation (there are 4 different classifications for PCOS, that's mine). I don't struggle with weight or heavy/painful periods. So, you're probably in a different classification and what worked for me *might* not work for you.

The combined birth control pill really helped me to even out my cycles and get me ovulating. Are you only on the progesterone one? That one is known for its breakthrough bleeding and won't help with your cycles quite as much. The thing that really worked for me was metformin. After about 6 months on it I go from 5 month long anovulatory cycles to 30 day ovulatory cycles, which is huge for me. I tried vitex (a natural "regulator") but it did absolutely nothing for me. I've now conceived 4 babies on metformin, 2 went to term, 1 died at 8 wks, and I'm 28 wks with the 4th. I stay on the metformin through my first trimester to help keep my hormone levels in balance and maintain a healthy pregnancy. 

I hope that gives you some idea of what you might expect. Best of luck to you and I hope you're able to get it all worked out!

Angela4boys
by Angela on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Have you ever had your progesterone checked in pregnancy? It may be as simple as taking a progesterone supplement....or even keeping your insulin in check. Both things I see with ladies with PCOS.

I'm sorry Hun, that you had to go through loss before them figuring this out. (((Hugs))). That's hard.

Keep us posted on what news ya get from re doctor.

Quoting JoshuasGirlNMC:

She said she would know something next week... :( My doctor told me that it wouldn't be impossible for me to get pregnant considering I have been pregnant before. But ended in a loss. 

Quoting Angela4boys: I don't have PCOS, but I know we have several ladies here that suffer with it. One good thing is, once you know, you at least can develop a game plan. I know PCOS can make conception more tricky...but not impossible.

Any idea when you'll know?

busyizzybsmom
by Betsy on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, yes, this too! After my miscarriage (3rd pregnancy) I wondered if low progesterone from the PCOS was possibly the cause of my miscarriage, so I asked them to check my levels as soon as I got pregnant the next time. My progesterone was a little low, so I went on supplemental progesterone until the end of the first trimester for my rainbow baby and for this one. Some doctors don't think it makes a difference, some do. I'm in the "do whatever the heck I can to sustain a pregnancy" group. ;)

Quoting Angela4boys: Have you ever had your progesterone checked in pregnancy? It may be as simple as taking a progesterone supplement....or even keeping your insulin in check. Both things I see with ladies with PCOS. I'm sorry Hun, that you had to go through loss before them figuring this out. (((Hugs))). That's hard. Keep us posted on what news ya get from re doctor.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Apr. 18, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Sorry hun I don't have PCOS so I don't have any answers but I will bump this for you because I am sure some of the other ladies can answer any questions you might have.

SandyLaxner
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I conceived 3x w/PCOS.  2 mc's and 1 beautiful son/  Off birth control pills,my periods were heavy and very painful.  One time I bled for 3weeks straight.I've always been obese.but lost 40+pounds and got pregnant 3x in 2yrs.  I had higher than normal testosterone level.  facial hair.  Very difficult to lose weight.  Type II diabetic now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)