Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

Questions to Ask a doctor after a miscarriage

blessedmommie07
My life is busy and I love it!
Tuesday at 11:36 PM
Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM
  • 13 Replies
4 moms liked this

I thought this would be good to post as many women want to know what can they ask their doctor as we all have so many things that go through our minds it is easy to forget a question you wanted to know. Feel free to add anything else you think is important. 

"When is it okay to have sex after miscarriage?"

"When can we start trying to concieve after a miscarriage?"

"Can it be marked on my chart to have a mandatory progesterone level checked with next pregnancy along with HCG levels?"

"What are my after miscarriage HCG levels?"

"Willi you check my HCG levels until they are zero?"

"How fertile are women after miscarriage?"

"How common is infection after miscarriage and what should I look for?"

"When does normal miscarriage grief turn into something more serious and does the office provide referrals to psychologists' offices?"

"When can I go swimming after miscarriage?"

"How can life after miscarriage ever really be normal?"

"Do we need a treatment plan for my next pregnancy? Should I call right away when I get a BFP?"

"What is my after care plan?"

"When should I expect my first period? And how long do I wait with still no period before I should call you?"

"What will my first period be like? Will it be more painful then my usual periods? Should I expect a heavier flow?"

"What are the signs of depression apart from grief?"

"Where can I find a local support group?"

"Is there anything I can do to reduce my chance of another miscarriage?"

"Will you do further testing to see if any levels are off that might have been a risk factor?"

"What signs or symptoms should prompt me to call you or go to the ER?"

"Can I continue my usual activities and if not when?"

"Do you know what caused my miscarriage?"

"What are my chances for a future successful pregnancy?"

"How much bleeding should I expect? And how long could it last?"

"Was my thyroid level checked and can you check if it it hasn't been checked?"

"Will my ouvulation time be different after a miscarriage then normally?"

"Can you explain my ultrasound results to me?"

"When will I get the D&C results back from the hospital?"

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenneric2012
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I wish I had this list when I had my mc. I was lost and extremely confused and couldn't get my head right. Of course my doctor (whom I will never see again or recommend) was a total b#$*h. She was no help and made me more uncomfortable and nervous than I already was. All women should know these questions. Thank you.
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:38 AM

It can be so hard to figure out what to ask after a loss. I'm glad you aren't going back to that doctor. After a loss we need a doctor to be understanding and make us feel comfortable. 

Quoting Jenneric2012: I wish I had this list when I had my mc. I was lost and extremely confused and couldn't get my head right. Of course my doctor (whom I will never see again or recommend) was a total b#$*h. She was no help and made me more uncomfortable and nervous than I already was. All women should know these questions. Thank you.

Herlache
by Jessie on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM
8 moms liked this
Great list! Only thing I would add is(call and ask ahead of time)
When I come in for my apt can I be put in a room right away instead of the waiting room it's hard to see pg women and babies?
jessica11r
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Great list!
I would also ask if they will give progesterone for the next pregnancy and if I can take a low dose aspirin before and during the next pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Yes! That is great question to ask! 

Quoting Herlache: Great list! Only thing I would add is(call and ask ahead of time) When I come in for my apt can I be put in a room right away instead of the waiting room it's hard to see pg women and babies?

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Apr. 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM

That's a good question too :)

Quoting jessica11r: Great list! I would also ask if they will give progesterone for the next pregnancy and if I can take a low dose aspirin before and during the next pregnancy.

Herlache
by Jessie on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM
You should see I'd you can make the list "sticky" unfortunately there is so many new ladies here it saddens me! But I'm glad they found us!

Quoting blessedmommie07:

Quoting Herlache: Great list! Only thing I would add is(call and ask ahead of time)
When I come in for my apt can I be put in a room right away instead of the waiting room it's hard to see pg women and babies?

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a great idea. I'll ask. And yes it is saddening but it is nice to see all us women support strangers we've never met face to face :)

Quoting Herlache: You should see I'd you can make the list "sticky" unfortunately there is so many new ladies here it saddens me! But I'm glad they found us!
Quoting blessedmommie07:

Quoting Herlache: Great list! Only thing I would add is(call and ask ahead of time) When I come in for my apt can I be put in a room right away instead of the waiting room it's hard to see pg women and babies?

.sp4rkl3z.
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM
These are great...wish I had this to print out after my losses
MrsKerns10
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM
These are good questions and I wish I would have had them after mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)