• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vitex and Macaroot

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
Any one have personal experience with these herbal supplements?
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busyizzybsmom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Vitex did nothing for me. I haven't tried macaroot.

akrogers13
by Alli on May. 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM
How long did u try vitex? I know it can take up to a year for it to work with some people.. hoping that's not the case for me lol..

Quoting busyizzybsmom:

dj_kern
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM

i've been taking vitex for a good 5 months i think.  I haven't gotten prego since my last mc back in july 2013.  

akrogers13
by Alli on May. 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Do u feel a difference in hormone levels? I'm just curious because I hear raves about it, but I don't know anyone other than blogs online that say they like it.. I have a feeling my progesterone is low which is what caused my last mc so I want to do things naturally with herbs and vitamins etc before jumping into rx progesterone if needed.. I'm waiting to hear back frommy original dr about what she thinks..

Quoting dj_kern:

i've been taking vitex for a good 5 months i think.  I haven't gotten prego since my last mc back in july 2013.  

busyizzybsmom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I think I used it for 4-5 months. Another year was not gonna cut it for me (had already been trying for a year and a half) so I switched to metformin and that did the trick. :) 

Quoting akrogers13: How long did u try vitex? I know it can take up to a year for it to work with some people.. hoping that's not the case for me lol..
Quoting busyizzybsmom:

akrogers13
by Alli on May. 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I've heard of that.. is it a prescription from your dr? We plan on ttc next cycle since it'll have been a full cycle since my last.. I'm worried that even tho I'm starting vitex now it won't work by then.. although there are people who swear it worked the first month for them... I think my problem is that my progesterone drops over time. I can get pregnant but my body can't hold onto it.

Quoting busyizzybsmom:

I think I used it for 4-5 months. Another year was not gonna cut it for me (had already been trying for a year and a half) so I switched to metformin and that did the trick. :) 

Quoting akrogers13: How long did u try vitex? I know it can take up to a year for it to work with some people.. hoping that's not the case for me lol..

Quoting busyizzybsmom:

busyizzybsmom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Yeah, it's a prescription that helps women with insulin resistance/PCOS. Works wonders for me! But I have super long anovulatory cycles and trouble getting pregnant. If your "only" problem is low progesterone, I'd just use a progesterone supplement!!

Quoting akrogers13: I've heard of that.. is it a prescription from your dr? We plan on ttc next cycle since it'll have been a full cycle since my last.. I'm worried that even tho I'm starting vitex now it won't work by then.. although there are people who swear it worked the first month for them... I think my problem is that my progesterone drops over time. I can get pregnant but my body can't hold onto it.
akrogers13
by Alli on May. 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Well that's the thing..I'm not 100% on knowing that's my issue.. my dr never tested me for it, but my symptoms point to low progesterone.. vitex is an herbal supplement with no hormones that helps support the pituitary gland which is responsible for producing correct amounts of hormone.. one of whichbeing progesterone..

Quoting busyizzybsmom:

Yeah, it's a prescription that helps women with insulin resistance/PCOS. Works wonders for me! But I have super long anovulatory cycles and trouble getting pregnant. If your "only" problem is low progesterone, I'd just use a progesterone supplement!!

Quoting akrogers13: I've heard of that.. is it a prescription from your dr? We plan on ttc next cycle since it'll have been a full cycle since my last.. I'm worried that even tho I'm starting vitex now it won't work by then.. although there are people who swear it worked the first month for them... I think my problem is that my progesterone drops over time. I can get pregnant but my body can't hold onto it.
busyizzybsmom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Yes, that's what I'd heard about vitex as well. Have you looked into or tried any of the yam root progesterone supplements? I honestly don't think they work as well as others and some things I've read have mentioned that it's not quite the same kind of progesterone and isn't used very efficiently or effectively by our bodies, but if you're really wanting to exhaust all of the all natural options first you might look into that. 

Quoting akrogers13: Well that's the thing..I'm not 100% on knowing that's my issue.. my dr never tested me for it, but my symptoms point to low progesterone.. vitex is an herbal supplement with no hormones that helps support the pituitary gland which is responsible for producing correct amounts of hormone.. one of whichbeing progesterone..
EAzizM
by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM
I have taken Maca and besides it giving me crazy ewcm, there was not much of a difference. I would not self diagnose though. Go see a doctor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)