• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stillbirthday university training *update*

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM
  • 24 Replies
I got a really sweet reply from my instructor:

"Hi Meredith!

I'm responding to your incredible exam 3. 

Thank you, for showing in the first two scenarios, the importance, the great importance, of going slow, validating, providing options and supplementing resources.  Going slow, to listen, lets us know exactly how best we can come alongside, and this is how we determine what our steps will be.  You're right, that there's anatomy or other accurate-dependent questions in the exams, but there's also questions that invite you to wonder what you will do or wonder how you might know what to say or respond.   Wanting to know more about a diagnosis given, for example, is perfect.  What does the diagnosis mean?  How does it impact baby and/or mom physically?  How does it impact the mother emotionally?  How do these impacts influence the choices moving forward?  I hear your heart that you want to know if you're doing well, and I want you to know, Meredith, that I am pleased with what I'm seeing from your work.

And I'm always here, too, if you have a specific question or if you want to wrestle an idea with me.

Warmly,

Heidi Faith"

Well that makes me feel a lot more confident!

I got behind in class and can't seem to catch up. Glad that there is 12 weeks to complete 8 weeks of training.

Feeling super discouraged, though. Like maybe I'm not cut out for this. I don't know what I'm missing, if anything. When I take the tests I do fine with the questions that are more "black and white," like anatomy questions, medication options, etc. But then there will be a "describe what you would do in this situation" and I'm like ?????. I feel like the reading material never covers it and you're supposed to just figure it out on your own or it's just supposed to come "naturally" and I'm just drawing blanks. I don't know if I should just reactivate Facebook so I can participate in the FB group? Maybe other people feel the same. I don't have a connection to anyone and I heard from other classes that you wind up so close to these ladies...I feel so disconnected and if anything, really close to giving up. I wish I knew someone who had gone through it already and could reassure me that it will eventually come together. I should have known that online school just isn't for me...I struggled with it in college also. Sigh...just feeling sorry for myself today. Super down in the dumps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akrogers13
by Alli on May. 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Is there a way to activate fb but still stay away from anything other than the group.. I know it's tempting but maybe bring a party of that group will help u! Sorry I wish I had some better advice for u!
iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Make a "fake" fb. I mean be yourself but create a completely new Facebook and only use it for the group you need. As for the connection... Maybe your losses are so different from their experiences that you are in a different spot. And for the questions. Give me an example of one so I can understand better. Your advice in here is very good so I can't imagine you drawing a blank
.sp4rkl3z.
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM
That's what I ended up doing! Waiting for them to add me to the group

One of the questions was something like "A woman contacts you that after her anatomy scan and is distraught that her baby possibly has a fatal diagnosis. Describe what you would say or do." I ended up answering it as best as I could but I feel we haven't learned enough yet for me to feel confident with knowing what to do or say. I basically said first I'd probably do some quick research so I could understand the diagnosis and how often it is misdiagnosed and how truly fatal it is, because even though I would not want to give false hope I still don't feel comfortable assuming the baby is going to die." I guess I just don't know if I'm answering anything the "right" way or if there is a right way. No confidence :( the teacher does include an option for you to get feed back after your test if you need it so I'm going to ask her to email me once I finally finish and submit and I'm going to let her know how I'm feeling and they and get some advice

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES: Make a "fake" fb. I mean be yourself but create a completely new Facebook and only use it for the group you need. As for the connection... Maybe your losses are so different from their experiences that you are in a different spot. And for the questions. Give me an example of one so I can understand better. Your advice in here is very good so I can't imagine you drawing a blank
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.sp4rkl3z.
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish there was. I finally just made a secondary FB account last night.

Quoting akrogers13: Is there a way to activate fb but still stay away from anything other than the group.. I know it's tempting but maybe bring a party of that group will help u! Sorry I wish I had some better advice for u!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Desiree-admin on May. 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM

*hugs*  I'm not sure.  I was going to do the DONA training as it is self paced over 2 years.  I haven't started officially though as I know I have too much going on in my life right now to really focus on it.  I would try the facebook group and see if it can help you.  

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on May. 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Hopefully being in that group will help you out some hun ((Hugs))

Petyonsmommy
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I'm sorry you feel so behind. What are you studying for?
.sp4rkl3z.
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Birth and Bereavement Doula training

Quoting Petyonsmommy: I'm sorry you feel so behind. What are you studying for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:12 AM
You can do this! Don't give up. What about creating a Facebook profile just for this? So you can participate in group discussion.

I think you have may have text anxiety. Obviously the black/white questions are there...but in life, much isn't black and white...shit happens. There's no "right or wrong" but you have to use your instinct. Think more in terms if what would you do if this was your best friend, sister, daughter. Kwim?
Petyonsmommy
by on May. 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM
That's awesome ive beenlooking for info on being a doula.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: Birth and Bereavement Doula training

Quoting Petyonsmommy: I'm sorry you feel so behind. What are you studying for?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)