• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cuddle Cot **possible trigger**

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 20 Replies

Mobile Photo

I came across this a few days ago, and just wanted to spread the word about this medical device. It's been used in a few other countries for several years, and now the company is trying to get the word out and get it into US hospitals. It can extend the time a bereaved parent can spend with their babies, from just a few hours, to days. You can help get the word out, or donate.

Description
To all heath care providers and families considering the use of a CuddleCot-

From the founder of SOBBS and as a mother of a stillborn child thank you so much for taking the time to review the information on the CuddleCot.

For those not familiar with the unit a CuddleCot is an in room cooling unit that is the size of a small humidifier disguised inside of a Moses basket. Research has proven having a unit available to parents while they are in the hospital encourages families to spend time with their baby. This gift of time allows precious hours for bonding, pictures, plaster molds to be taken and other family members to come and meet the baby before the natural changes that occur in death become more apparent. In addition the baby can now stay in the room with the family the entire hospital stay if the family so desires. While we know this might not be for everyone it does allow families a choice.

Choices become so important very, very important when it seems as if all are taken away and suddenly families go from planning a future to a funeral in the blink of an eye. Every moment spent is a precious gift and as a grieving parent you never know what your heart may need to continue its healing journey weeks, months or even years down the road. Across the board almost all the parents we spoke with wish they would have spent more time with their baby. All the parents who were offered used a CuddleCot are all are very grateful it was available to them. They credit its use as being a solid, healthy way to begin their mourning and grieving journey.

Below are just a few of the over 300 comments we received in response to the CuddleCot on SOBBS. (SOBBS-Stories of Babies Born Still is an on-line support group for families who have experienced stillbirth. Our mission is to empower, educate and illuminate the tragedy that is stillbirth while surrounding families in love and care as they navigate this sad and sometimes lonely road.)
https://m.facebook.com/USCuddleCotCampaignInitiative

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.sp4rkl3z.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM
That's what Sullivan was in the last time I saw him.

Wow, this was a huge trigger for me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM
I'm going to put a trigger warning on this. (((Hugs))). These are for neonatal only...but there is a similar device for older babies.

A few of us were discussing privately yesterday about how much time we were able to have. It's something that it feels like there is never enough of. I was able to have Avery with me the entire time I was at the hospital, which was 5 days (I know I was lucky to have that). But when they would take him he was kept in sterile water, and cooled. It would have been nice to have been able to keep him with me.

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: That's what Sullivan was in the last time I saw him.

.sp4rkl3z.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Yeah it doesn't look exactly the same as I remember, but I just remember when we were led to the viewing room he was in a bassinet and had this pad thing between his back and clothes, to keep his body cool while we held him. One of those things I wish I had a picture of, so it wouldn't be so shocking to me right now.

We were rushed so badly saying goodbye to Sullivan. Huge regret of mine to not insist they give us more time, one of the big motivators for becoming a bereavement doula, because I needed an advocate

Quoting Angela4boys: I'm going to put a trigger warning on this. (((Hugs))). These are for neonatal only...but there is a similar device for older babies.

A few of us were discussing privately yesterday about how much time we were able to have. It's something that it feels like there is never enough of. I was able to have Avery with me the entire time I was at the hospital, which was 5 days (I know I was lucky to have that). But when they would take him he was kept in sterile water, and cooled. It would have been nice to have been able to keep him with me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela4boys
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Absolutely, and coming from the perspective you have now, you'll be awesome. Any mom would be so lucky to have you advocating for them.

It's so shocking...no parent thinks they will be in that position. It's kinda that autopilot...or it was for me. I think I would have done whatever they told me I was supposed to do.

I'm sorry you were rushed. That hurts my heart :(

Quoting .sp4rkl3z.: Yeah it doesn't look exactly the same as I remember, but I just remember when we were led to the viewing room he was in a bassinet and had this pad thing between his back and clothes, to keep his body cool while we held him. One of those things I wish I had a picture of, so it wouldn't be so shocking to me right now.

We were rushed so badly saying goodbye to Sullivan. Huge regret of mine to not insist they give us more time, one of the big motivators for becoming a bereavement doula, because I needed an advocate

Quoting Angela4boys: I'm going to put a trigger warning on this. (((Hugs))). These are for neonatal only...but there is a similar device for older babies.

blessedmommie07
by Desiree-admin on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM

That would be so great if it helps!

lovebugs_mom906
by Lisa on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM
I wonder if that would've helped with Jacob. I held him for a few minutes right after delivery, but I was so out of it, I couldn't see straight. By the time I had a little sleep, and drugs wore off, I was afraid to touch him. He looked as though he was " melting" (sorry, only way I know to describe it). He looked so fragile that I just stared at him, but never held him. I would've loved just one more opportunity to hold him close to me again.
iSMILEheCRIES
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Melting is the perfect word. I have said it about Lily before. I think something like this would have helped Lily a lot. She was kept in a refrigerator and I could only see her for short times.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: I wonder if that would've helped with Jacob. I held him for a few minutes right after delivery, but I was so out of it, I couldn't see straight. By the time I had a little sleep, and drugs wore off, I was afraid to touch him. He looked as though he was " melting" (sorry, only way I know to describe it). He looked so fragile that I just stared at him, but never held him. I would've loved just one more opportunity to hold him close to me again.
Angela4boys
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I'm assuming since they've been using it in I other countries, it must be successful. I was watching a video from a hospital that said they have one, and have already ordered a second.

Quoting blessedmommie07:

That would be so great if it helps!

Angela4boys
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Yes, I think that's what this would be helpful for. These are specifically for neonatal, and I was reading that it could turn hours into days. That's priceless time.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: I wonder if that would've helped with Jacob. I held him for a few minutes right after delivery, but I was so out of it, I couldn't see straight. By the time I had a little sleep, and drugs wore off, I was afraid to touch him. He looked as though he was " melting" (sorry, only way I know to describe it). He looked so fragile that I just stared at him, but never held him. I would've loved just one more opportunity to hold him close to me again.
Angela4boys
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
That's exactly what you said.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES: Melting is the perfect word. I have said it about Lily before. I think something like this would have helped Lily a lot. She was kept in a refrigerator and I could only see her for short times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)