Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support

What not to say...long/God mentioned

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this
This was shared with me and I can relate both as a cancer mom and as a mom that has miscarried.

What Not to Say When Your Friends Are Hurting

How you might be using a new kind of profanity and not even know it. By Brian Kammerzelt

"I know you feel alone, but remember, you are never alone because God is always with you."

Why do we do that? Why do we respond to someone's vulnerability and present experience in this way?

We often say such things when we don't know what to say. Or when we really don't care enough to get involved. When we want the tense moment to pass so we can move on. As true as the above reply may be, when used that way we are disrespecting a moment of connection. That person likely presently feels physically and emotionally alone.

Eternal Truths were never to be used like smoke-bomb escape techniques or a magician's trap door. They are to be held as holy and communicated with veneration. We should never say them simply because we don’t know what to say.

ETERNAL TRUTHS WERE NEVER TO BE USED LIKE SMOKE-BOMB ESCAPE TECHNIQUES. WE SHOULD NEVER SAY THEM SIMPLY BECAUSE WE DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY.

”I Will Pray for You.”
Prayer is far too great an intimately holy gift to reduce to a get-out-of-the-moment free card. Don't say you will if you won't. Pray with them right then. Or ask how you can pray for them.

”You Should Read This Verse.”
The Bible is certainly is a Living Word, but proof-texting someone's pain is simply poor form. You should be looking to be living reference to the Truths in Scripture, not using Scripture to pass someone off.

”God Has Something Better Planned.”
God does not owe us anything. He may have something far worse in store—and that has to be OK too. There is a reason Job is the oldest book of the Bible. Instead of shifting attention to an unknown future, help them see God at work in the present experience.

”God Won't Give You More Than You Can Handle.”
That is simply not true. Many experience far more than they can handle alone. Drawn from 1 Corinthians 10:13, not only is this verse specifically about temptation but has a corporate context. Sometimes people need help. If you find yourself saying this they are probably asking for help from you.

”You are Not Alone Because God is Always With You.”
Again, true, but if someone is expressing a profound loneliness they are looking to you to help lessen it and learn to know God's sustaining presence. Too much of our theology is dismissive of the here and now. Be present in the moment with them.

”Everything Happens for a Reason.”
This well-meaning statement may have become the most "nothing" response to a painful situation. It does not mean anything and is clearly said more to alleviate not knowing what to say than their pain. Resist the urge to dodge the moment or provide something that sounds like an answer. Know that just being there is often enough.

When we force "capital 'T'" truths into the "lowercase 't'" truths of someone's present experience we squeeze out their humanity—making both feel like a lie.

Sacred Truths were never meant to cover up or hide the truths of what someone is experiencing in the here and now. It makes a person's present experience feel pointless and meaningless, amplifying loneliness or frustration.

VULNERABLE MOMENTS ARE SACRED SPACES TO BE TREATED WITH THE UTMOST REVERENCE AND RESPECT.

Irreverent to both the Truths we intend to share and the person we are commanded to love, it's sacrilege. In that respect, more than lame platitudes, such statements become a new kind of profanity. “Profane” can be defined as “to treat something sacred with irreverence or disrespect.”

Vulnerable moments are sacred spaces to be treated with the utmost reverence and respect. We far too often desecrate it with christianese graffiti, recklessly applying theology we misunderstand and treating it like a method to be applied to a solvable situation.

Better someone offer up a traditional four-letter “swear word” out of shared lament than reduce deeply held beliefs into platitudes thrown at pain. We should find this type of profanity far more offensive and treat it accordingly.

When you say such things in this profane manner your impulse should be to throw your hand over your mouth and apologize profusely as if you just let an “F-bomb” slip out at the most inappropriate time. If you find yourself dropping this new profanity, stop, apologize and begin again.

So, the next time someone dismissively “encourages” you to wrestle through this season in the journey God has you on, tell them to watch their mouth. I'll get the soap.

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stcy79
by Stacey on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I do agree with this but the prayer part...... I just told u in one of my posts that I said a prayer for u to have strength and before I typed it, I said that prayer. I know lots will say, Ill pray for u or u'll be in my prayers, but when when I say, I will, I will and if I say , prayers said then I did. I think most people have used some of this when they dont know what to say but I do think there are some that have said these things and meant it. We dont always know who's who though......

Our angel was born to heaven on 1/10/2014 at 14wks 3days.

CDW75
by Candi on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM
I completely agree with you. Some people are true and genuine and mean/do what they say. I have found that the majority of those that mean/do what they say (praying for others) have also experienced a life altering event.

Quoting stcy79:

I do agree with this but the prayer part...... I just told u in one of my posts that I said a prayer for u to have strength and before I typed it, I said that prayer. I know lots will say, Ill pray for u or u'll be in my prayers, but when when I say, I will, I will and if I say , prayers said then I did. I think most people have used some of this when they dont know what to say but I do think there are some that have said these things and meant it. We dont always know who's who though......

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting.  Most really didn't bug me too much.  Except the "pray for a miracle" and that was both they will and telling us to.  That just pissed me off because I know there wasn't a "miracle" for my daughter who didn't have a skull, not like it would magically grow.  I could see praying if she was like sick but she was healthy and just had a fatal birth defect that couldn't be fixed even by prayer.  But otherwise the "I'll pray for you..." was fine to me.  As long as they didn't say miracle and they were offended when I told them please don't :)

CDW75
by Candi on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM
That makes sense! I am a believer but also a realist. I have witnessed so many children die of cancer and have heard many say "we are praying for a miracle". I have found myself questioning if miracles still happen.

Quoting blessedmommie07:

Interesting.  Most really didn't bug me too much.  Except the "pray for a miracle" and that was both they will and telling us to.  That just pissed me off because I know there wasn't a "miracle" for my daughter who didn't have a skull, not like it would magically grow.  I could see praying if she was like sick but she was healthy and just had a fatal birth defect that couldn't be fixed even by prayer.  But otherwise the "I'll pray for you..." was fine to me.  As long as they didn't say miracle and they were offended when I told them please don't :)

stcy79
by Stacey on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

That is probably true. I really cant say much, Ive done some of those things in the past but since then Ive grown alot in my relationship with God and that changes u and how u see other people. I try to relate with all but sometimes I still struggle, thats why I still pray for myself as well.....lol ...work in progress over here!

Quoting CDW75: I completely agree with you. Some people are true and genuine and mean/do what they say. I have found that the majority of those that mean/do what they say (praying for others) have also experienced a life altering event.
Quoting stcy79:

Our angel was born to heaven on 1/10/2014 at 14wks 3days.

CDW75
by Candi on Jul. 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
We all are a work in progress! :)

Quoting stcy79:

That is probably true. I really cant say much, Ive done some of those things in the past but since then Ive grown alot in my relationship with God and that changes u and how u see other people. I try to relate with all but sometimes I still struggle, thats why I still pray for myself as well.....lol ...work in progress over here!

Quoting CDW75: I completely agree with you. Some people are true and genuine and mean/do what they say. I have found that the majority of those that mean/do what they say (praying for others) have also experienced a life altering event.

Quoting stcy79:

blessedmommie07
by Desiree on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I think they do just sometimes is another path for us that we never want to take or think of taking because it's too hard.

Quoting CDW75: That makes sense! I am a believer but also a realist. I have witnessed so many children die of cancer and have heard many say "we are praying for a miracle". I have found myself questioning if miracles still happen.
Quoting blessedmommie07:

CDW75
by Candi on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Very true! Our pastor told my daughter when she was first diagnosed "no matter what happens it's a victory!" I was not happy about him saying that but after awhile I realized it's the truth. Just hard to think about.

Quoting blessedmommie07:

I think they do just sometimes is another path for us that we never want to take or think of taking because it's too hard.

Quoting CDW75: That makes sense! I am a believer but also a realist. I have witnessed so many children die of cancer and have heard many say "we are praying for a miracle". I have found myself questioning if miracles still happen.
Quoting blessedmommie07:

echupko
by Group Mod-Elizabeth on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I love this
echupko
by Group Mod-Elizabeth on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with you

Quoting stcy79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)