Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prison time if you have a mc?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM
  • 6 Replies

Yesterday while on fb, I came across an article that  friend of mine had shared. From what I understood of the article, a Guatamalan woman had a natural mc and was sentenced for 30, because abortion is illegal in Guatamala. Her mc was natural and she did not intentionally try to end her pregnancy, but no one will listen and so she must serve time.

Well, in this article that I read, it had a warning that the Republican party, if given the opportunity will establish a similar law where if a woman who has a mc either naturally, or drug induced (mostly for those who do drugs and other things to purposly end a pregnancy) they could end up going to prision.

I am a republican. I value the life of the unborn child. I have had a missed mc, and an ectopic pregnancy. I have a 3.5 yr old and if this idea to have every woman who has ever had a mc to be scrutinized, to see if they tried to end a pregnancy which had been a mc, to face prision time- I'm shaken by the thought.

I am not a radical republican who thinks like that.

I read some of the comments made on the article at the end and they pissed me off, because of comments insinuating that christian republicans never have mc's. Obviously this is false, because I am a christian republican.

Here is the link to the article if you wish to read. I know that sometimes when I read something I may mix things up, but I'm pretty sure I got this one.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/01/18/conservative-dream-come-true-woman-sentenced-to-30-years-behind-bars-for-having-a-miscarriage/

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
rainbowM0Mof2
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:40 AM
That's ridiculous. That's like imprisoning a rape victim.
jwhitworth7
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This article is laughable at best. This will never happen in the United States for reasons that are so obvious they don't need to be stated. I would caution believing anything published from an extremist group (whether liberal or conservative) such as this one. And while we know that atrocities such as this occur in other countries to think that it would ever happen here is just ridiculous. The states laws that are cited here are taken completely out of context. It is true that some states are currently debating whether or not a mother who, for example, does crack or drinks during her pregnancy would be accused of murder. But as you can see it is taken way out of context. Instead of the article giving you thinks to the General Assembly websites citing/explaining the bills the links go to other articles published by the own website. I call BS on this article and on the website. It should be renamed "addictingMISinfo.org"

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:25 PM

That poor woman :( 

Nicole_2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM
That poor Woman.
Melissa1222
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 12:14 AM
I feel bad for the woman....but the rest is ridiculous and political nonsense.....
akrogers13
by Alli on Jan. 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM
people who think that miscarriage is anything like abortion are missing a part of their brains.. their iq must be in the single digits, I mean seriously? Is this real life? People actually think this?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)