Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coping with Pain During Natural Miscarriage

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

For those who had a natural miscarriage, how did you cope with the pain and other side effects when it got to be too much?

I finally started bleeding last night after weeks of waiting. By late this morning, I guess I as in active labor. After a couple of hours of pure misery, I called my doctor's emergency line to be sure everything was ok. She said everything was progressing as expected and gave me a rundown of what to expect as well as what signs to look for of something wrong. She also said I could take a double dose of Ibuprofen and/or Tylenol. So I quickly took the Ibuprofen and then spent an hour in the shower, finally feeling so much better.

But now I'm skeptical. I'm wondering if the Ibuprofen just slowed my progress down and it will hit me again as soon as it wears off. I have heard before that Ibuprofen can slow or even stop a period temporarily, so I'm wondering if the same is true with a miscarriage.

This is so much worse then my first miscarriage! I was only 8 or 9 weeks then but would be 11 weeks this time. They said those couple weeks can make a big difference.

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meghs82285
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:57 PM
I'm not sure about the ibuprofen. I was alone when it happened and there was no getting down stairs to get to where I keep the meds. After about 4 hours of heavy bleeding the pain subsided so I didn't take anything til the next day when my legs felt like I had been hit by a truck and by that time the bleeding had slowed on it's own. What I'm really trying to say is I don't know but I didn't want to read and not acknowledge
1northwestmom
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry for your loss, hopefully your pains will subside sooner than later
Xx
schultzal
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry for your loss.

I've only had one natural miscarriage (and 2 d&cs), but my doctor gave me morphine to take if the pain got too bad.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:05 PM

((hugs)) i'm sorry your in so much pain hun.  I don't really have the answer to your question though because I really didn't have much pain with my loss just some cramping that wasn't much worse then period cramping.  

zqsprink
by Susie on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Thanks for your response. I was probably bleeding heavily for 3 or 4 hours as well so maybe it was just coincidence it slowed after the ibuprofen. I also wasn't paying attention to how much was going down the drain in the shower since it was the only thing making it better. I'm sorry to hear you were alone through yours. My husband left for an hour or so to take my son to his parents and that was probably when I was at my worst.

Quoting meghs82285: I'm not sure about the ibuprofen. I was alone when it happened and there was no getting down stairs to get to where I keep the meds. After about 4 hours of heavy bleeding the pain subsided so I didn't take anything til the next day when my legs felt like I had been hit by a truck and by that time the bleeding had slowed on it's own. What I'm really trying to say is I don't know but I didn't want to read and not acknowledge

zqsprink
by Susie on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Thanks for your response. My first was like a heavy period too, so that's what I'd been bracing myself for again. This time hit me so hard, I eventuall started vomitting uncontrollably and thought for sure something was wrong. They've assured me everything was normal..

Quoting cali_angel_girl:

((hugs)) i'm sorry your in so much pain hun.  I don't really have the answer to your question though because I really didn't have much pain with my loss just some cramping that wasn't much worse then period cramping.  

Peregrine
by Carrie on Apr. 7, 2015 at 11:28 AM
My third loss was horrible. The pain was intense. I ended up in the ER. Where they gave me massive amounts of dilantine my iv and enough Narco to knock out a rino to take home.
I have found heat helps with the pain.
Peregrine
by Carrie on Apr. 7, 2015 at 11:30 AM
I didn't know you lost your October baby too. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Quoting schultzal: I'm sorry for your loss.

I've only had one natural miscarriage (and 2 d&cs), but my doctor gave me morphine to take if the pain got too bad.
schultzal
by on Apr. 7, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Thank you. It was my 3rd loss and the worst experience I have ever had in my life. I'm very sorry for your loss, as well. Sending you big hugs.

Quoting Peregrine: I didn't know you lost your October baby too. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Quoting schultzal: I'm sorry for your loss.

zqsprink
by Susie on Apr. 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM

That sounds awful. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. There was a point where I realized I probably should have gone to the hospital, but I honestly couldn't fathom going there only to be told to sit on a toilet and wait. It never occurred to me they may be able to give pain meds. I occasionally start cramping again and fear it will start all over, but I'm pretty sure I'm through the worst of it. I just feel like maybe my doctor could have warned me ahead of time that it might get that bad...

Quoting Peregrine: My third loss was horrible. The pain was intense. I ended up in the ER. Where they gave me massive amounts of dilantine my iv and enough Narco to knock out a rino to take home. I have found heat helps with the pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)