Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REPORT: Bum Genius

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM
  • 82 Replies
  • 10339 Total Views
1 mom liked this

One Size Cloth Diaper 3.0/2.0/1.0
: 7-35lbs (also called Pocket Diapers) (I think also considered an AO2 type diaper)...
(means you only by ONE SIZE and it will fit the baby for the allotted lbs)
comes in 5 colors
To Start: you need a minimum of 24 diapers
Cost Range: (3.0) $17.95 - $22.00/each (www.cottonbabies.com)
Pocket diapers are 100% polyester not exactly "all natural"
1.0: made with nylon outer
2.0: made with PUL outer (Polyuthrene Laminate)
3.0: made with polyester outer, suede cloth inside the diaper,

to get a better fit for newborn they suggest a sized "small" hemp insert (also called soaker) when they are newborn and later on that can act as a doubler (n additional soaker) for heavy wetters etc. Keep in mind
a pocket diaper is generally as bulky as the insert (soaker) used. They offer a covered slot style opening for the insert (the absorbent layer of the diaper), some parents find this style opening more difficult to work with (as opposed to the insert opening being at the back of the outside of the diaper...)... with this opening you have to fish out the insert AND poopy particles can get stuck up in the flap increasing the "ick" factor of cloth diapering. You don't HAVE to buy additional inserts... each one size comes with an insert (made of microfiber).. but you may want to for the newborns (reason above) and also if you need additional for night time.
Diaper Doublers: Newborn Insert: 3 pack/ $6.00 can be used to double up absorbency in both one piece fitteds and Pocket diapers. Made form 2 layers of microfiber terry.

All - In - One Cloth Diaper: (AO1's)
Extra-SmallSmallMediumLarge
6-12 lbs8-16 lbs15-22 lbs22-30
Extra small is really only intended for newborns whose umbilical cord has not fallen off yet..
to Start you need 12 diapers per size
Available in the same 5 colors
The diaper is all ONE PIECE... no inserts needed...  you don't remove any of the pieces and no covers necessary. No folding required. No stuffing.
Cost Range: $15.95/each
1.0: made with nylon outer
2.0: made with PUL outer (Polyuthrene Laminate)
3.0: made with polyester outer, suede cloth inside the diaper, the soaker portion is made of microfiber terry.
Stay Dry Doubler: 3 Pack $10.50. NOT ntended to be used with pocket diapers... its a stay dry layer you put in with regular diapers so their bums stay dry.
Diaper Doublers: Newborn Insert: 3 pack/ $6.00 can be used to double up absorbency in both one piece fitteds and Pocket diapers. Made form 2 layers of microfiber terry.

Bamboo Fitted Diaper:
Extra-SmallSmallMediumLarge
6-12 lbs8-16 lbs15-22 lbs22-30
Extra small is really only intended for newborns whose umbilical cord has not fallen off yet..
to Start you need 12 diapers per size
Available in 4 colors
Cost Range: $15.95/each
You need to use a diaper cover with it. (and apparently bum genius does not make /sell covers? weird!)
Our fitteds are made of 80% bamboo and 20% polyester. The soaker is microfiber terry. The luxury of bamboo and a soaker made of our exclusive microfiber terry work together to make this diaper soft, trim, quick drying and ultra-absorbent. Bamboo grows quickly and easily, without the need for pesticides or fertilizers. Bamboo is biodegradable and the fiber has an unrivaled silky texture and readily absorbs moisture. Bamboo fiber also has natural antibacterial elements to help fight bacteria growth in your diapers.
Bamboo Doublers: $3/each intended to be used for extra absorbency.

EXTRAS:

Bamboo Wipes: 8 wipes $12.95
Made from Bamboo and Polyester
A Note about Bamboo
While bamboo has been around for a long time, it is
relatively new to Western markets.  Bamboo can be as
strong as steel, yet with modern processing techniques,
can be woven into fabric as soft as silk.  Bamboo will
revolutionize the cloth diaper and clothing industry
because it is extremely comfortable and has many
excellent properties:
  • Bamboo is more absorbent than cotton
  • Bamboo contains "bamboo kun", which prevents
    the growth of bacteria
  • Bamboo readily absorbs moisture
  • Bamboo wicks moisture away from the skin
  • Bamboo requires minimal water for growth
  • Bamboo is inherently organic - it does not require
    chemicals or pesticides like cotton
  • Bamboo is one of the world's fastest growing
    plants...  it regenerates when cut down and can
    grow 100 feet in three years
  • Bamboo is cashmere soft (softer than the softest
    cotton) and has a natural sheen
  • Bamboo does not stick to skin and will feel cool
    even on hot days
  • Bamboo has excellent breathability
  • Bamboo is 100% biodegradable

Flannel Wipes: 12 pack $9.95
Made of natural unbleached cotton. Could not find anything that said 100% cotton.

How do I wash my new diapers?
  • For bumGenius 2.0 products (made with PUL outer):
    1. Wash once in cold water with no more than 1/4 cup detergent.
    2. Wash once in warm or hot water with more more than 1/4 cup detergent. Optionally (and only occasionally), add 1/4 cup of bleach to this cycle.
    3. Add an extra rinse to remove any lingering detergent in the diapers.
    4. Tumble dry on the medium setting.
  • For bumGenius 1.0 products (made with nylon outer):
    1. Wash once in COLD water with no more than 1/4 cup detergent.
    2. Wash once in WARM water with more more than 1/4 cup detergent.
    3. Add an extra rinse to remove any lingering detergent in the diapers.
    4. Line dry.
  • What detergent can I use?
    You should only use detergents that are free of dyes, enzymes, perfumes, whiteners and brighteners. Using detergents containing these ingredients will cause damage to your diaper including elastic failure and leaking.
  • What should I avoid?
    Do not use extra additives in your wash (like baking soda or vinegar). These ingredients are unnecessary and will cause problems in your diapers. Do not use fabric softeners.

Guarantee:
Use the product for two weeks. If you don't like the product, you are welcome to return it at the end of that two week timeframe along with any other unused and unwashed bumGenius products purchased at the same time for a full refund. Dated proof of purchase is required.

We'll stand behind the workmanship and materials in a properly cared for product for one year from the date of purchase. Our guarantee covers snaps, lining, closures and waterproofing. It is extended to the original purchaser of the diapers only. Proof of purchase is required. Product must be sent to Cotton Babies for examination of workmanship and materials. Diapers must arrive unstained, clean, stink-free and dry. (NOTE: Diapers arriving in unacceptable condition will be returned.) After reviewing your diapers, we may choose any of the following at our discretion:

1. Replace the diaper.
  2. Provide you with simple instructions for repairing the product or resolving the problem you are having with the diaper.

THIS GUARANTEE IS VOID WHEN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES APPLY:

• The washing instructions have not been followed.
  • The diaper has been altered.
  • Any of the following has been used in conjunction with the use/care of the product:
    • A detergent containing additives (enzymes, brighteners, whiteners, dyes, perfumes, essential oils) or natural soap
    • Fabric softeners
    • Any caustic substance.
    • Diaper rash cream.
THIS GUARANTEE DOES NOT COVER:
Leaking (except as related to manufacturing defect), "stinky diapers", buildup or normal wear.

Join My Group Interracial Families Forum ~Rejects~ http://www.cafemom.com/group/23285/ I was rejected from the other one... for not posting enough info on my page... so I simply started my own! No need to "apply" just join =)

BabyNamey.com Name Badge

by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Puma_tini
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 2:34 PM
I may have to do some tweaking on that but I think NOW I have a basic understanding of Bum Genius brand Diapers =)

Additionally a cost comparison between them and this is what I came up with...

The one size: $552.00 (diapers) + $24.00 (newborn inserts 12 of them) = $576.00

All in One's Fitteds: $574.20 (12 of each size excluding x-small because I think its a waste, I have big babies, 36 total diapers) + $24.00 (doublers 12) + $42.00 (stay dry doublers 12) = $640.20

Bamboo's: $574.20 (12 of each size no x-small, 36 total diapers) + $36.00 (12 Bamboo doublers) = $610.20 does not include covers needed for this one because BumGenius does not sell them... but you would need them also.

Join My Group Interracial Families Forum ~Rejects~ http://www.cafemom.com/group/23285/ I was rejected from the other one... for not posting enough info on my page... so I simply started my own! No need to "apply" just join =)

BabyNamey.com Name Badge

calind115
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM
I love the one sizes, we haven't had any problems with them.  They are going to come in handy when we have more kids.  I love the idea that I can pull any diaper off the shelf and it'll fit them. 

MamaCeleste0722
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
These are my favorites. If one is going to CD twins, I think this is a great route! My twins have 2 different body types, so it's nice to be able to adjust the fit.

minneapolismama
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM
aaaand they are more $$ now too. 18-22 each? that's steep for mass produced diapers. i can see that for custom or wahm made with special materials or embroidery, but yikes!
minneapolismama
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM
puma, are you planning on getting all of those? you probably dont need that many!
Puma_tini
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 4:05 PM
NO I was doing a comparison of cost on them... I was trying to determine cost wise if one panned out better then the other....

I would like opinions of people who actually have them, use them, etc. to add to this thread too. So we can get a better ides of any other isses wtih them.
Quoting minneapolismama:

puma, are you planning on getting all of those? you probably dont need that many!

BabyNamey.com Name Badge

OutlawMUA
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 4:54 PM
I have 3 or 4 of the 3.0 pockets.
I like them pretty well but they're not my favorites. I agree with the statement about the flap for the pocket.. kind of a pain. But they fit "okay" and seem to hold liquids pretty well. No messes yet but ds is on solids and not a heavy pooper...
I like them fine but not on the top of my list...

JenB1983
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM
I had two 2.0 pockets, and I really wasn't impressed.  I actually got rid of them not too long ago, because I realized that I never used them anymore.  If you are looking into OS pockets I would recommed Mommy's Touch.  I love them just about as much as my Fuzzi Bunz. LOL  I am a huge fan of snaps though, and I think that was part of my problem with the BG's, the velcro just didn't seem to hold well.

Agadaria
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM
i bought 18 bg AIO 3.0 from cottonbabies.com, for like 309$ i think, i bought also extra stuffing and doublers( which is not necessary, i don't even get to use them). i have only one problem: night time, oh we have hard time right now, im trying to figure how to work it out, im sooo close to put the disposal for the night
mommyofdaryl
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 9:14 PM
i think the bg 3.0's come with both the one size insert and a newborn insert/double at least they do if you buy from cotton babies so you shouldn't need to add the newborn inserts into your cost comparison

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)