Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REPORT: Bum Genius

Posted by   + Show Post

One Size Cloth Diaper 3.0/2.0/1.0
: 7-35lbs (also called Pocket Diapers) (I think also considered an AO2 type diaper)...
(means you only by ONE SIZE and it will fit the baby for the allotted lbs)
comes in 5 colors
To Start: you need a minimum of 24 diapers
Cost Range: (3.0) $17.95 - $22.00/each (www.cottonbabies.com)
Pocket diapers are 100% polyester not exactly "all natural"
1.0: made with nylon outer
2.0: made with PUL outer (Polyuthrene Laminate)
3.0: made with polyester outer, suede cloth inside the diaper,

to get a better fit for newborn they suggest a sized "small" hemp insert (also called soaker) when they are newborn and later on that can act as a doubler (n additional soaker) for heavy wetters etc. Keep in mind
a pocket diaper is generally as bulky as the insert (soaker) used. They offer a covered slot style opening for the insert (the absorbent layer of the diaper), some parents find this style opening more difficult to work with (as opposed to the insert opening being at the back of the outside of the diaper...)... with this opening you have to fish out the insert AND poopy particles can get stuck up in the flap increasing the "ick" factor of cloth diapering. You don't HAVE to buy additional inserts... each one size comes with an insert (made of microfiber).. but you may want to for the newborns (reason above) and also if you need additional for night time.
Diaper Doublers: Newborn Insert: 3 pack/ $6.00 can be used to double up absorbency in both one piece fitteds and Pocket diapers. Made form 2 layers of microfiber terry.

All - In - One Cloth Diaper: (AO1's)
Extra-SmallSmallMediumLarge
6-12 lbs8-16 lbs15-22 lbs22-30
Extra small is really only intended for newborns whose umbilical cord has not fallen off yet..
to Start you need 12 diapers per size
Available in the same 5 colors
The diaper is all ONE PIECE... no inserts needed...  you don't remove any of the pieces and no covers necessary. No folding required. No stuffing.
Cost Range: $15.95/each
1.0: made with nylon outer
2.0: made with PUL outer (Polyuthrene Laminate)
3.0: made with polyester outer, suede cloth inside the diaper, the soaker portion is made of microfiber terry.
Stay Dry Doubler: 3 Pack $10.50. NOT ntended to be used with pocket diapers... its a stay dry layer you put in with regular diapers so their bums stay dry.
Diaper Doublers: Newborn Insert: 3 pack/ $6.00 can be used to double up absorbency in both one piece fitteds and Pocket diapers. Made form 2 layers of microfiber terry.

Bamboo Fitted Diaper:
Extra-SmallSmallMediumLarge
6-12 lbs8-16 lbs15-22 lbs22-30
Extra small is really only intended for newborns whose umbilical cord has not fallen off yet..
to Start you need 12 diapers per size
Available in 4 colors
Cost Range: $15.95/each
You need to use a diaper cover with it. (and apparently bum genius does not make /sell covers? weird!)
Our fitteds are made of 80% bamboo and 20% polyester. The soaker is microfiber terry. The luxury of bamboo and a soaker made of our exclusive microfiber terry work together to make this diaper soft, trim, quick drying and ultra-absorbent. Bamboo grows quickly and easily, without the need for pesticides or fertilizers. Bamboo is biodegradable and the fiber has an unrivaled silky texture and readily absorbs moisture. Bamboo fiber also has natural antibacterial elements to help fight bacteria growth in your diapers.
Bamboo Doublers: $3/each intended to be used for extra absorbency.

EXTRAS:

Bamboo Wipes: 8 wipes $12.95
Made from Bamboo and Polyester
A Note about Bamboo
While bamboo has been around for a long time, it is
relatively new to Western markets.  Bamboo can be as
strong as steel, yet with modern processing techniques,
can be woven into fabric as soft as silk.  Bamboo will
revolutionize the cloth diaper and clothing industry
because it is extremely comfortable and has many
excellent properties:
  • Bamboo is more absorbent than cotton
  • Bamboo contains "bamboo kun", which prevents
    the growth of bacteria
  • Bamboo readily absorbs moisture
  • Bamboo wicks moisture away from the skin
  • Bamboo requires minimal water for growth
  • Bamboo is inherently organic - it does not require
    chemicals or pesticides like cotton
  • Bamboo is one of the world's fastest growing
    plants...  it regenerates when cut down and can
    grow 100 feet in three years
  • Bamboo is cashmere soft (softer than the softest
    cotton) and has a natural sheen
  • Bamboo does not stick to skin and will feel cool
    even on hot days
  • Bamboo has excellent breathability
  • Bamboo is 100% biodegradable

Flannel Wipes: 12 pack $9.95
Made of natural unbleached cotton. Could not find anything that said 100% cotton.

How do I wash my new diapers?
  • For bumGenius 2.0 products (made with PUL outer):
    1. Wash once in cold water with no more than 1/4 cup detergent.
    2. Wash once in warm or hot water with more more than 1/4 cup detergent. Optionally (and only occasionally), add 1/4 cup of bleach to this cycle.
    3. Add an extra rinse to remove any lingering detergent in the diapers.
    4. Tumble dry on the medium setting.
  • For bumGenius 1.0 products (made with nylon outer):
    1. Wash once in COLD water with no more than 1/4 cup detergent.
    2. Wash once in WARM water with more more than 1/4 cup detergent.
    4. Line dry.
  • What detergent can I use?
    You should only use detergents that are free of dyes, enzymes, perfumes, whiteners and brighteners. Using detergents containing these ingredients will cause damage to your diaper including elastic failure and leaking.
  • What should I avoid?
    Do not use extra additives in your wash (like baking soda or vinegar). These ingredients are unnecessary and will cause problems in your diapers. Do not use fabric softeners.

Guarantee:
Use the product for two weeks. If you don't like the product, you are welcome to return it at the end of that two week timeframe along with any other unused and unwashed bumGenius products purchased at the same time for a full refund. Dated proof of purchase is required.

We'll stand behind the workmanship and materials in a properly cared for product for one year from the date of purchase. Our guarantee covers snaps, lining, closures and waterproofing. It is extended to the original purchaser of the diapers only. Proof of purchase is required. Product must be sent to Cotton Babies for examination of workmanship and materials. Diapers must arrive unstained, clean, stink-free and dry. (NOTE: Diapers arriving in unacceptable condition will be returned.) After reviewing your diapers, we may choose any of the following at our discretion:

1. Replace the diaper.
  2. Provide you with simple instructions for repairing the product or resolving the problem you are having with the diaper.

THIS GUARANTEE IS VOID WHEN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES APPLY:

• The washing instructions have not been followed.
  • The diaper has been altered.
  • Any of the following has been used in conjunction with the use/care of the product:
    • A detergent containing additives (enzymes, brighteners, whiteners, dyes, perfumes, essential oils) or natural soap
    • Fabric softeners
    • Any caustic substance.
    • Diaper rash cream.
THIS GUARANTEE DOES NOT COVER:
Leaking (except as related to manufacturing defect), "stinky diapers", buildup or normal wear.

Join My Group Interracial Families Forum ~Rejects~ http://www.cafemom.com/group/23285/ I was rejected from the other one... for not posting enough info on my page... so I simply started my own! No need to "apply" just join =)

BabyNamey.com Name Badge

by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
MandRsmom
by on Apr. 29, 2008 at 1:49 AM
I was told by the maker that I could use bleach sparingly, but no vinegar. I also do a cold rinse without soap, then a hot wash with soap and an extra rinse.

Quote:

For bumGenius 2.0 products (made with PUL outer):
  1. Wash once in cold water with no more than 1/4 cup detergent.
  2. Wash once in warm or hot water with more more than 1/4 cup detergent. Optionally (and only occasionally), add 1/4 cup of bleach to this cycle.
  4. Tumble dry on the medium setting.
From everything else I have read you should NEVER use bleach and MINIMAL detergent... so i guess I am confused about this
and also it said never use baking soda or vinegar... but everywhere else i've read you should

~
NaNcYBoUt
by on Apr. 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM
i do not have the aio's..(bumgenius) but I have the one sizers in the 1.0 and 2.0..is the 3.0 really much nicer?
Here is my thing,I prefer the 1.0 to the 2.0 LOL..NO clue why,but they seem to work better for us,and they look "NEWER" longer.!!
I dislike how the tabs get old looking,and etc..but it is just a diaper.
I use different diapers,and I am better off sticking with ONE BRAND,my husband would have a MUCH easier time of it LOL.:)
Jacemommy31506
by on Jun. 16, 2008 at 12:55 AM
Absolute best diapers i have used (ive been cd for a week now), they are awesome! He can sleep thru the night with them, 8 hrs and not leak!I love them! Wish i would have only bought them!

sonnys.mom
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 12:16 AM

I love Bum Genius. I save them to use at night with a bummis whisper wrap. Haven't had 1 overnight spill. Used for 18 months. Thinking of buying a few more for my new baby when he comes in December. I'm a bit torn because I love my HH too.

Lsmom
by on Dec. 13, 2008 at 9:22 PM

love BGs for daytime....but they take lots of omserts for night time and I still have to change my dd at least once or she will leak.  I love Drybees night time diapers....but BGs are great for day....my pnly complaimnt is the launder tabs are not working well after 4 months of use,,,,,,they come unstuck and then the diapers are all stuck together when I get them out of the dryer

preview imagepreview image

breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, cloth-diapering, , non-cio, baby signing, extd. rear facing, extd. harnessing mama         

NaNcYBoUt
by on Dec. 14, 2008 at 9:16 PM

MY LO is ready by the years end,(HOPEFULLY) to PT...I love BG 3.0..not 2.0 nor 1.0..but 3.0 has NOT let me down(for pockets).

I prefer fitteds...(alltogether),they work WITH covers,EXCELLENT..its a no fail method IMO..but you do not wick away moisture....(unless u get fleece liners etc).

NANCY
                                              loving mama of 4 gurls

GusGrl
by on Dec. 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I have had no problems with my 3.0's.  I really like them!  I follow the wash and care instructions, and then switch to prefolds when my dd has diaper rash.  I use two inserts at night and when she wakes up her bottom is dry and the inserts are soaked- so I'm very happy with them.  She is on the smaller side, weighz only 22 lbs but 33 inches tall, so I don't know how they fit a more average baby.

marymomtojack
by on Dec. 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM

I use these the most out of all the types I have.  I love the fit, I use them at night with a hemp insert too - they are just great diapers all around.  The only complaint I have is the microfiber inserts tend to get stink issues.

fairygirl13
by on Dec. 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM

i love the one size ones. and target has them now!

SDK_Endo.gif

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

th01052c9a.gifttc blinkieSDK_BabyDust.gif

TTC

Phiasmom0
by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I use BG 3.0 and while they have been a great fit for my tall skinny child around the waist and thighs (which is where most diapers fail her) The rise needs to be higher.  I have some older 3.0 and some new ones I bought from target and I swear the rise is longer on the newer ones.  I have had problems with some of the PUL breaking down and touch tabs not sticking anymore but since they were under a year old they replaced the touch tabs for me and I rewaterproofed the the diapers that were just over a year and wicking.  I do really love this diaper as  a whole do to the excelent fit it has for my daughter but I am hoping all the kinks were worked out of the ones sent to target.

I use the new born insert as inserts in my prefolds as well as the stay dry doubler which has fleece on one side so you don't need to worry about covering the microfiber with somthing because it already is not to mention they hold a ton which is great for my pee bucket. 

I use the 3.0's as a cover for G diaper inserts when we traveled from germany to the US and they were so much better then the G diaper's  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)