Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REPORT: Bummis

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 6:53 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 2925 Total Views

http://www.bummis.com/en/Index.html

Bummis was started by mothers using cloth diapers on their own babies. At that time, there was a serious lack of good quality, affordable diaper covers on the market. So we set out to fill that niche - designing products that would work on our own babies. Fifteen years later we are still a company owned by mothers! We have grown and changed a lot (as have our babies), but our focus is the same.

We believe that good quality, easy to use and affordable diaper covers make it easy to use cloth diapers. We encourage parents to use cloth diapers because of the many benefits to be had in terms of health, cost, and the environment. For more information on this issue, please see why cotton? (http://www.bummis.com/en/WhyCotton.html)

As a company we feel a deep and abiding responsibility to our employees and to our community. We have made a commitment to never manufacture in a so-called "developing" country, although our costs would be lower and our prices even more competitive. Instead we pay our sewers well for a job well done. We have created a calm and pleasant atmosphere in our factory, one in which we all love to work. Our outside contractors are paid a living wage, and treated with the respect they deserve. Not only is this what we believe as managers and business owners, but it makes sense in the long run because our employees and contractors are the strong base of our success.

Bummis is based in Montreal, Quebec. We operate a fabulous little retail store here - if you are ever in our neck of the woods - please stop by and visit our store! For more information about it, please see our boutique- http://www.bummis.com/en/Boutique.html.

Betsy Thomas

Bummi line!
The Bummi line features our original super lightweight nylon covers. Legendary fit and stretchy, comfortable lycra bindings. Choose from velcro-closing or pull-on pant designs.

Bummi Original
Bummi Cotton
Whisper Pant
Cotton Whisper Pant

Our SUPER line!
Extraordinarily durable products that function super well. All made of an industrial polyester fabric that is soft and comfy but easy to wash and dry.

Super Whisper Wrap
Super Brite
Super Snap
Training Pant

GreenMama On A Budget Blog
Just Click The Logo To Check Out That Group!

by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KayMMIV
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM

what am I doing wrong with my bummi??

sweetashyb

Feb. 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM by sweetashyb
posted to Cloth Diapering Mamas

• 7 Replies
  • 73 Total Views
I got a previously loved bummis super whisper wrap today...looks to be in great shape, feels to be in good shape..but I've never actually used one before. I put my son down for a one hour nap in it with a prefold & an extra thick liner (homemade, half terry, half fleece). When he woke up, he was SOAKED..not just the prefold and the liner, but all the way through the entire wrap!! The diaper and liner hadn't shifted weird, and the bummi fits him great..its a 15-30 lbs range one and he weighs 24 lbs..nice and snug on the legs & top. Is this normal for them to do this?? Does it maybe just need stripped..and if so, I just use a little bit of Dawn dish soap for that, right? Any suggestions?

MommyCaitlin

by MommyCaitlin on Feb. 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Hmm... how old does the diaper look? I've heard that drying it in the dryer over time can break down the pul so maybe that's what happened. I dry mine, but it's only a few months old and I've never had a leak. Wish I could be more help.

prairiemaid

by prairiemaid on Feb. 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM

see and bummies are known for being safe to dry in the dryer......they advertize that you can dry their covers in the dryer. I have the same bummis from my oldest son and he got a couple of years use out of them....and besides looking kinda dingy they are still perfectly fine still, and I do use them off and on (when my wools been washed and being airdryed lol) and they still work great.......I am not sure what is going on with yours so I hadent posted yet..because I am clueless lol......but mine were dryed in a dryer for 2-3 years of use and still work great.

mom2ljh

by mom2ljh on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Any leakage problems I've had with my Bummis have always been a diaper problem, not an issue with the cover.  The most recent being that I didn't prewash my dipes enough so they didn't absorb the pee.  Anyway, I don't know what to suggest other than possibly trying a different type of diaper.  Does the one you used usually make it through naps?  I use an Indian Prefold (premium size) under the Bummis and it lasts all night, which is 10 hours.
Oh, I also always dry my Bummis in the dryer and no probs yet.  I just LOVE them.  I just moved my 8 month old into the 15-30lb size.

KayMMIV
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Bummis SWW rash

lydianzephyr

Nov. 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM by lydianzephyr

i have been using bummis sww for 10 months now with no problems.  i love them!  but recently my son has started to get a rash where the elastic meets his leg.  It is not diaper rash.  I figured that it is from detergent building up on the bummis so i tried to strip them with vinegar.  i am hoping that this will work but we are yet to see.  does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do so this rash will no longer come.  oh by the way, this has never happened before in all the time i have been using the bummis and i have not changed the detergent or anything like that.  Thank you soooo much in advance!!  =)

(I am going to make a note here to NEVER strip a cover with vinegar, the acid will cause the waterproofing and the elastic to break down super fast, to the extent that one time might be one time too many and you've ruined the cover)

nonnicat

by nonnicat on Nov. 8, 2007 at 8:58 AM

I'm on my second child using bummis sww's and havn't had that problem.  The size you are using for 20lbs is correct.  Are you putting them on too tight?  Not changing often enough?  I know if I wait too long to change - the leg bands can get wet even though the cover itself repels the moisture.  Maybe put some vaseline where the elastic meets the leg - it could be chaffing/rubbing more if your little one is more active.

nonnicat

by nonnicat on Nov. 9, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Maybe i willtry to put more absorbency in the diapers and change them more too. do you think that putting Vaseline on his legs will hurt the cover? thank you all for all of your help!!! =)

I change an average of every two hours....sometimes that's too often and sometimes that's way too long of a wait.  It's the one frustrating thing with cloth diapers for me. 

I don't think the vaseline will hurt the cover.  i'm on my second child with my set and they are pretty much indestructible.  I even wash them with bleach sometimes.  And in between washings, they are soaking in a water/bleach/borax combination.  This past week my little guy had a diaper rash that spread from his bum to the area between his navel and his wee wee.  I slathered vaseline all over that area - so the vaseline was definately getting on the front pocket of the cover.  Those covers just got out of the wash - so I haven't used them yet.  But from touch there doesn't seem to be a breakdown of any sort.  I've had diaper rash cream all over those covers and nothing seems to harm them.  I'm NOT a gentle washer - they go through the regular washes and into the dryer.  I originally bought them (after trying a couple over types of covers) because I needed something very durable that I didn't have to worry about washing with only certain detergents and hanging on the line.  If I notice any harm done to the covers - or they start getting wet more easily - I'll repost with my findings. 

KayMMIV
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM

what about bummis?

kirstinsmomma

Nov. 16, 2007 at 6:58 PM by kirstinsmomma

• 5 Replies
  • 42 Total Views
My mom got me some for Christmas- they seem nice!  Do you guys like this brand?
MamaCeleste0722

by MamaCeleste0722 on Nov. 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM

The Bummis Whisper Wraps?? I have a few of them and I've been very pleased!

amydiane17

by amydiane17 on Nov. 16, 2007 at 10:35 PM

I have a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap and I haven't gotten to use it yet because it's too big for DS, but it seems to be good quality.  I've heard very good things about them also.  The one I have doesn't have leg gussets, so I'm not totally sure about that yet because the ones I'm currently using do and I think they help to keep the EBF poo in.  But, Bummis is coming out with a new cover that has leg gussets.  HTH! :)

EuroMomTX

by EuroMomTX on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I didn't like mine and quickly resold them. To me they seemed too stiff because of the velcro part and too plasticy. I prefer soft more cloth-like diapers/covers. But lots of moms love them!

mom2ljh

by mom2ljh on Nov. 17, 2007 at 12:06 PM

I LOVE them.  I can reuse them about 4 times before they start smelling and need washed.  Of course I'm pretty anal about changing DS real often.

KayMMIV
by on Dec. 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Bummis Super Whisper Wrap

babonwy

Jan. 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM by babonwy

• 8 Replies
  • 75 Total Views
Anyone use them??

I Just Ordered them Today.....What are Your Thoughts On them?
Mrs.Jordan0305

by Mrs.Jordan0305 on Jan. 13, 2008 at 12:58 AM

I have them!! lol.  I love them,  As long as you change baby when you should they are great.  I use a little Charlie's Soap on them as a "pre-treatment" if some poo gets on them and then wash them by hand.  Only time I have ever had a leak with them is when I put her to bed and for got to put in her night doubler...bad mommy!  That was all my fault cause the poor prefold just couldn't hold that much, lol.  I want to try the polar bummis for night time.  What color did you order?!

energygirl

by energygirl on Jan. 13, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I really like them, but atfirst I had my daughter in one that was too big (since she is petite and has thin legs) so now that she fits in it better, no more leaks. I ordered some prowraps to try for the new baby (due in April) in a smaller size than my BSWW to see if they can tide me over until they grow into the BSWW that already have.

CKMomto3boys

by CKMomto3boys on Jan. 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I have been using them on my ds since he was a newborn and he is now 18 mos.  I really like them.  Hard to get pooh smells out though if there is a leak.  I usually have to wash them a few times and pretreat with baking soda and/or vinegar.  But other than that, they are great. 

blackmadonna

by blackmadonna on Jan. 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM

I just got my newborn super brite covers for Aidyn.  I'm having some issues with bulk, and it's difficult to get the prefold to fit in them well, but i think it's mostly user error. lol.
mom2ljh

by mom2ljh on Jan. 16, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I LOVE them!  They're totally awesome.  DS is past the recommended weight for the smalls, but still fits in them great.  I need to order some mediums though.

mommyofdaryl

by mommyofdaryl on Jan. 16, 2008 at 3:07 PM

i liked them never had any leaks here are the reviews from diaper pin
http://diaperpin.com/diapers/ItemDetail.asp?ID=42

Alli251
by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I have been using both BSWW and the Super Brite.  I started with them when my son turned about 1 week old or so, due to the fact that the disposables that we were using overnight didn't seem to keep him dry.  My husband especially liked the super brite.  It's smaller (XS newborn size), and had the cutout at the top for the umbilical cord stump, plus, it has the extra leg gusset to keep wetness in.  The only difference is that when I lay in the prefold, I have to fold the end down about 1/2"-1" before I tri-fold it, so that it fits under the panel in the front.  It wouldn't fit so well over the Kissaluv fitted diapers that we like to use overnight, so we use the BSWW for that, as well as just for a prefold cover during the day. 

When he is especially wet, sometimes the leg gussets for both will wet through to his clothes, but as long as I catch it before that, there isn't usually a problem.  Also, I wash and dry mine whenever they need it, so putting them in the dryer hasn't seemed to be an issue with them, either.  I got my BSWW used off of DS, so this is the 2nd child using them, as well.  I would definitely recommend these covers.

rhianonmat
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Grrr!  I got a Bummis Bamboozle bamboo diaper in the mail today and I was SOO excited.  I washed it once and one of the snaps fell off!   I am MAD.  So much for Bummis...

L

BabyBoyMatthew
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 7:02 PM
I HATE THE BUMMIS SUPER WHISPER WRAP!! it always leaks through on me!

Vaccine Free Pictures, Images and Photospro life Pictures, Images and PhotosStay At Home Mom Pictures, Images and Photos

Attachment Parenting Pictures, Images and PhotosAP Mama Pictures, Images and Photoscloth diaper blinkie Pictures, Images and Photos

KayMMIV
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I forgot to add my report once we got our bummis super whisper wraps. I LOVE these wraps!!!!  they work better then any other covers we've tried (dappis, proraps, cheeky babies, swaddlebees, wool or fleece) these are the only covers we have that have NEVER leaked on us. And they've had more chance to then any of the others since because of that I use them the most. It feels like they have a similar waterproof material to what's on the kushies ultra aios. Trisitan has never leaked through on these, and all of ours are well used and 2nd hand, we have 4 or 5. I even have sewed some fabric over the ones that were just white so they are even cuter :) I think the design probably fits chuncy babies better then skinny ones though, but that works well for us :)

annlaurie13
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I have a few Super Whisper Wraps and I'm very happy with them so far.  They fit great over a prefold, and I haven't had to snappi the prefold either, they stay in place just fine!  I have mixed feelings about the little pocket in the front- it helps hold the prefold in place, but since he's a boy, it gets wet first and I have to change the cover more often than if it wasn't there.  I haven't had any problems with leaks, but I do change my son's prefold every few hours.

The Bummis wraps, I have found, are quite "poofy" and don't look trim, no matter what size diaper you have inside.  So that's a strike against them.

I also got a Super Brite and I don't like it so much, probably because my son has thunderthighs and the legs on it are smaller than the Super Whisper Wraps.  It leaves red marks on the tops of his thighs- ouch!  Might be better for a thinner baby.

mrs.scout
by on Dec. 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I've had the Bummis super bright cover for less than a year. I loved it at first but now the velcro is completely, 100%  worn out. It doesn't stay together longer than 3 seconds. Very disappointing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)