Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To move or not to move...

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 339 Total Views

That is a really big question!

My husband got offered a job in Ayer, which, if I read my map correctly, is just east of Leominster and Fitchburg.

Tell me how you feel about the area. Mostly your area, not so much Ayer, as a realtor that we spoke with, said we'd get more house for our money west of Ayer.

Be honest. Is it a nice place to grow a little family? We would like to stay for quite some time. [5-10 years...?] Right now, we live in Canada, but my husband is in the U.S. Army and will be out in October and then the job he is tentatively going to accept is a Mil. Tech. position for the Army/gov't. --Devens Reserve Forces Training area-- 

I am from north central P.A. He's from here, but has dual citizenship. We've lived in P.A. and N.C. and are willing to move most anywhere. Gotta go where the money is! ;)

We are, at this point, saying 'why not?' But, googling and visiting in a few weeks to get a feel for the area! Plus, I figured cafemom moms might give me some advice! ;) Can't hurt, eh?

Well, thanks in advance!! :)

Loving mommy to Emily and Kylie! Happily married to my SSG in the US Army! Hooah!

by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
chickamonka
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Hello,

I live in Leominster, near route 2, which is how your husband would get to Ayer. My area has good and not so good points, but everywhere is like that.

I do know that the house down the street from me is for sale, it is a relatively quiet area within walking distance to the elementary school (k-5), close to the shopping center,etc.

I have 2 boys 14 and 7 1/2 who play outside with no issues. Our street is quiet during the day, however it does see more traffic around dinner time (maybe 7 cars more than the day) but that is to be expected anywhere, unless you live on a dirt road in the country.

The schools in Leominster are decent, my youngest has a mild form of Tourette's and has had teasing or anything like that. His teachers up until this point have been wonderful. My oldest is in the 8th grade and the kids are a little punkier, but as long as your kids do what is expected of them, they will be fine.

I hope that this helps some.

ginagosson
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM

With the current market, you most likely could purchase a home for a good price anywhere.  I would look more towards Lancaster.  Leominster and Fitchburg both have some nice areas (I live in Leominster), but Lancaster is better and has a great school system.  If we could sell our current home that is where I would go.  Good luck!!

kimmybunny4
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Hi, I live in Fitchburg, but my son goes to the Shirley schools.  Ayer and Shirley are nice areas, and in my opinion great for raising a family.  the school systems in Shirley and Ayer are fantastic.  Good luck!

dbutterfly058
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I lived in Ayer, and  moved to Fitchburg recently. Ayer is nice but like the other moms said, leominster,lunenburg, lancaster ,fitchburg are all close and also nice. The schools are good  and like someone said all these towns have their good and not so good parts. All depends on what part of town you move to.  Another area that you can look into is Peperell and Townsend which i heard are very nice areas. all depends on if you are looking for more city or country living.  I dont think you will be disapointed. Good luck!!!

ibanez8104
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Hello, 

I would def stay out of Fitchburg, I have lived in Fitchburg my whole life and recently purchased a home here.  However the rates from Unitil (Gas and Electric ) is outrageous some months I pay the same amount to heat my house as I do my mortgage payment.  Head into Leominster, we are the "Twin Cities" and are literally minutes from each other. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN