Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just out of curiousity...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

how come the bear claw, which is described as an "almond filled pastry", doesn't use almonds as an ingredient? just seems weird to me. not complaining, just curious why it doesn't.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bookworm23
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I am betting it is a mistake it doesn't use any ot the more expensive ingredients!

WillRead4Food
by Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:22 PM

. . .Or how about why the Boston Cream Pie, which is clearly a cake, is listed under pies.  I mean, I get that it's CALLED a pie, but it's really only a cake pretending to be a pie, isn't it?confused

blulew82
by Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Because I'm a total nerd I looked up the defenition of pie. According to dictionary.com:

pie

–noun

1. a baked food having a filling of fruit, meat, pudding, etc., prepared in a pastry-lined pan or dish and often topped with a pastry crust: apple pie; meat pie.

2. a layer cake with a filling of custard, cream jelly, or the like: chocolate cream pie.

...plus other definitions not related to food. Anyway, according to the second definition it is perfectly acceptable to categorize Boston Cream Pie in the pie group :)
Quoting WillRead4Food:

. . .Or how about why the Boston Cream Pie, which is clearly a cake, is listed under pies.  I mean, I get that it's CALLED a pie, but it's really only a cake pretending to be a pie, isn't it?confused

mom2abby06
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Maybe for the same reason that the cinnamon roll doesn't require cinnamon!!

WillRead4Food
by Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I dunno. . .according to the dictionary at WillRead4Food.com, it has to have a crust to qualify as pie.  LOL!! 

(Incidentally, I have the same issue with cheeseCAKE looking suspiciously too much like pie to qualify for the "cake" label.  Clearly I have dessert issues. . .)

laughing

Quoting blulew82:

Because I'm a total nerd I looked up the defenition of pie. According to dictionary.com:

pie

–noun

1. a baked food having a filling of fruit, meat, pudding, etc., prepared in a pastry-lined pan or dish and often topped with a pastry crust: apple pie; meat pie.

2. a layer cake with a filling of custard, cream jelly, or the like: chocolate cream pie.

...plus other definitions not related to food. Anyway, according to the second definition it is perfectly acceptable to categorize Boston Cream Pie in the pie group :)
Quoting WillRead4Food:

firenicecream
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

That dictionary is old or misinformed because I have had crustless pie before. It was pretty cool, pretty good and totally amazed me!

Quoting WillRead4Food:

I dunno. . .according to the dictionary at WillRead4Food.com, it has to have a crust to qualify as pie.  LOL!!

bookworm23
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I intentionally make my pies wothout crust on a regular basis to enjoy the flavor without all the extra calories...and so I can add extra ice cream!

Quoting firenicecream:

That dictionary is old or misinformed because I have had crustless pie before. It was pretty cool, pretty good and totally amazed me!

Quoting WillRead4Food:

firenicecream
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Ha haaaaa.... that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting bookworm23:

I intentionally make my pies wothout crust on a regular basis to enjoy the flavor without all the extra calories...and so I can add extra ice cream!

Quoting firenicecream:

Quoting WillRead4Food:

WillRead4Food
by Member on Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I see I'm not the only one. At least one other person subscribes to the dictionary at WillRead4Food.com.  LOL!!  (and it took me about 10 minutes just to find this post so I could add this, LOL!!):

I made a Boston Cream Pie for *deleted customer in Honeyduke* and earned 308 Baker Bucks and 311 Experience Points. The customer loved it!

• 'Aha! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Not sure if it's really a pie, though. Anyway, I think you'd be a star pupil here, why don't you try impressing one of the other professors?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)