Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you usually need a D&C with a blighted ovum miscarriage?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2007 at 9:54 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 235 Total Views
I've been going through a miscarriage this week.  It started on Sunday with spotting and by Monday night had progressed to heavy bleeding with blood clots and severe cramps.  Now its Thursday and it hasn't lightened up, the cramps actually seem worse.  I was almost 7 weeks along when this all happened.  On Sunday the ultrasound showed a sac with no baby.  And on Tuesday my hCG levels had dropped since Sunday.  The doctor said it was blighted ovum.  Anyways, I'm worried I might need a D&C since the bleeding seems to be lasting so long.  How do I know what is normal and what to be concerned about?  How long until I should call the doctor and ask for more testing to be sure everything is passing correctly?

Emily, Married to Dustin for 5+ years.  SAHM to Celeste (4 1/2 yrs) Adrienne (2 3/4 yrs) and Lily (1 yr).

by on Sep. 27, 2007 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
momma_to_3
by Member on Sep. 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM
I'm sorry you are going through this :(
I can't offer much help to you,my dr did the d&c,and didn't really give me the option to miscarry on my own.
Best of Luck to you,and I will pray for you.
lojemc
by on Sep. 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM
So sorry to hear your news.  You should go to the doctor.  From what  I understand, even when you miscarry on your own, they need to make sure everything has passed.  Not sure if there is such a thing as "normal" miscarriage, but if yours has been going on for more than a couple days, for sure go to the doctor.  I don't think everyone needs a d&c, but maybe it depends on the doctor.  Like I said, they do want to make sure you passed everything, so that would be the reason for a D&C. 
jemm
by Group Owner on Sep. 27, 2007 at 9:21 PM
With mine, I tried to miscarry on my own, but had to go in for an emergency d&c. You don't need to, unless you bleed too much (filling more than a pad an hour). I bled too much when I had my daughter too. But if you're not excessively bleeding, there is no need to have one. If things hurt too much or if you just want it to stop, then ask for a d&c.

And even after I had one (though I sat in the ER for 5 hours and pretty much passed everything myself while there) my midwife still found a small clot when she did my checkup. So they don't necessarily get everything, but makes the cramping stop.

my groups:
anembryonic pregnancies - for those who had a pregnancy with no baby
bargain hunters!

BeautiControl - Amazing Spa, Skincare, and Image products

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)