Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome! Get Started Here

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM
  • 517 Replies
2 moms liked this

Welcome to the Depression Support Center! We hope you find the support you need and enjoy making friends and sharing stories and advice with other moms like you.

Here are a few easy ways to get started in the group:

Step 1:   Introduce yourself by starting a new thread.  This will help other members get to know you.

Step 2:  Jump right in and reply to any posts that you find interesting. Or if you're looking for advice about a particular issue, start your own post.

Step 3:  Feel free to invite some of the moms you meet here to be your friend.  To send someone a friend invitation, click on the "Invite as a friend" link under their picture on their page.  

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you for joining!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Becky
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Hi everyone. I'm Cafe Becky, and I'll be working with the mods to make this a terrific group. I work for CafeMom and live in New York City, and I have a one-year-old boy. I have a lot of experience working with other online support communities, so I am really excited to be launching this group for you.

I want to make this a supportive, informative, and welcoming community for all of you, so please don't hesitate to send me any questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

jazi1105
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello everyone. I'm Jazmine and I live in Puerto Rico, but I'm originally from both Connecticut and Arizona. I'm happily married and we're expecting our first baby in December 2010. I have suffered with depression, post traumatic stress disorder, severe anxiety, and bi-polar disorder since I was 10 years old, although it much better and very well controlled now, and I'm happy to say that I have been able to maintain it that way without medication.  I'm hoping to be able to help and provide support, while also receiving it when needed! : ) 

eeyoreplus4
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Hello All!

My name is Lesley & I am 36 (almost 37), married & have 4 children (ages 18, 16, 12 & 3).

I suffer from depression & anxiety as well as a few other undiagnosed issues. I also am a parent to a child who has bipolar, ADHD & O.D.D. I am an administrator in a bipolar/depression support group & an abuse group. Both are doing fabulous things with & for their members & I hope that I can bring something positive to this group as well!

mamajewel
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hi everyone~ my name is Julie and I have 3 sons and currently pregnant with my 4th baby (maybe a girl?)  Due in January.  I have suffered depression since age 14 when my dad went to prison for molesting me.  It doesn't take much for me to slip into the depression sometimes.  After the birth of my 3rd son, I was severely depressed and on meds for it, but it didn't seem to help much and actually made it worse. (anyone here ever experience brain shivers?  I was told I could quit taking effexor cold turkey... well guess what?  You CAN'T do that!!)  I got a wake up call when I ended up in a mental hospital (long, long story, partly due to the brain shivers)  That helped me "snap out of it" in a way, because I missed my family and was in a place I did NOT want to be and had no control.  I'm hoping that this time around, with support, I won't slip back into that dark place that I hate!  I'll never take meds for it again, I know that much.  Anyway, thanks for the invite to this group.  I just posted on my birthboard last week about depression and possibly starting a support thread within the group, but now I think I'll pm people the link to this group :)

purpleblackbutterfly.gif picture by joshandisaiah   379093asotwn2j62.gif Due in January image by erinleanne Lilypie - (Jcy3)

Group Mod              

aridattebayo
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I'm Ari, I'm currently 27 and pregnant with #2 (we find out next week if it's a boy or a girl), I also have a 3 year old daughter named Arianna. I've had serious depression/anxiety issues since I was 13 or 14 years old. My last evaluation pretty much said Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (used to be Dysthymia &  Panic Disorder w/Agoraphobia)... I'm also learning disabled (dyscalculia) and I have epilepsy (fairly well controlled) and fibromyalgia.

I forgot... other stuff about  me... I like drawing/writing (when my brain wants to cooperate), crochet, loud metal music, grim reapers, scythes, skulls, batwings, stuff.

Nice to meet y'all.

Ari - mom to Arianna (1/15/07) and Lulli (expected 10/28/10)

jazi1105
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Welcome Ari, Julie and Lesley! I hope you all are able to get SO much out of this group! : )

Tinker_Jo
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Hi, I'm Angela. I am 34, married, with two kids with autism, ages 4 and 6. I have epilepsy, and some kind of depression that I haven't figured out yet. I think it's hormonal. My mom had the same problem before she reached menopause, where she'd have severe depression at a certain time of the month. After having two kids, it's gotten much worse. I've been keeping track of what I feel in a journal, along with the time of the month. I seem to be able to handle it better and snap out of it faster when I know that it's coming. And diet helps. A lot.  :)

Xantho
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Welcome Angela! If you don't mind me asking how do you regulate your diet to where it helps you?

Quoting Tinker_Jo:

Hi, I'm Angela. I am 34, married, with two kids with autism, ages 4 and 6. I have epilepsy, and some kind of depression that I haven't figured out yet. I think it's hormonal. My mom had the same problem before she reached menopause, where she'd have severe depression at a certain time of the month. After having two kids, it's gotten much worse. I've been keeping track of what I feel in a journal, along with the time of the month. I seem to be able to handle it better and snap out of it faster when I know that it's coming. And diet helps. A lot.  :)

jnsdrf
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Hi everyone! I'm Jaymi. I am a 24 yr old SAHM to 2 kids. My son Dakota will be 5 in 12 days and my daughter Christina just turned 2. I am happily married. We just got married Feb 10th, but have been together 4 yrs. I live in Glendale, Arizona and hate it, but don't have the money to move somewhere cooler. I was diagnosed with post pardum depression 3 months after I had my daughter. I have suffored from depression on and off since I was 13. Right now it isn't so much depression as anxiety issues. I have agoraphobia (fear of leaving the house), OCD and social anxiety. It does affect my daily life which is why I joined this group. I hope to get support and give support when needed.

mommy2angel
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Hello everyone. I am 27 years old.  I have been diagnosed as clinically depressed. I have been on meds since 2007 after the loss of our first child. I also suffer from anxiety. DH and I have been together for 12 years and married for almost 5. He is my rock and my support. We have a 21-month old son and a daughter due in November. I am very happy and very blessed with my life. I still have occasional triggers and have bad days but mostly I am in control of my depression.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)