Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am bipolar so is my step son! Need some advice please!!!! kinda long

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM
  • 2 Replies

First of I am on meds for bipolar, manic depression, and ADHD. I have been controlling my bipolar pretty well lately on my own and with the meds. well for the past two days my bipolar is kicking into high gear, that my buttons are being pushed so bad that I about snapp or even almost black out from being so angry. I have talked to my step son about his behavior, and he is on 7 too. But my hubby is gone for 3 days until tuesday on the semi truck and where he was hauling to he couldnt take his son. so that left him here with me and our daughter. I am also 27 wks pregnant at the same time. So some of the out control on my end is the hormones and stuff. PLus he only has one of his meds that he is suppose to take cause his mother hasnt gotten his medicade back yet for him to have both meds together so that he isnt acting this bad. Since we are on the exact same meds milligram and all I give him one of mine only with his moms permission cause I cant handle him. I have tried rewarding him with a sticker chart if he followed he would get a surpirise for that. He cant even earn the stickers. I have taken about everything away from him and it doesnt bother him. Well yesterday when I talked to his mom she has the balls to tell me that he does this at home and that she just lets him do what ever he wants because when she sets rules he wont listen there either. I told her that there is rules here cause of my 2 year old daughter is in the learning stage that she will learn anything and that I dont her to act like him. So now here and there I am having problems with her as well. IS this normal? what can i do to get him on track with out loosing my kool? I am struggling big time right now. I have even mention to his mom that he needs to go home early than his 2 wks being here and she says that she doesnt want to deal with him until the 21st. so what am I suppose to do I know the mother doesnt want him and it isnt fair so I try to show him love.

Please help

sorry long thanks girls

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lcat
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM

What about sending him to his room, every time he does something?  At least this will give you sometime to regain your cool.

There are just some children that nothing bothers them, and you have one right there.  You can take his cloths away and he doesn't care, because he knows when he gets home, things will go back to his way.

Keep correcting your daughter, if you have to, send him out of the room, when you correct her.  Then, he will not be there to put in his two cents.

The 21st is not that far off.  Remember this, once you start yelling and going banana's he likes it.  The more nuts he can drive you, the happier he is.

I have a grandson, who if, I let him would drive anyone to drink.  But the one thing I do not let him do to me is lose my cool.  Because then he would enjoy watching Grandma going nuts.  No matter what he does, and this childs mouth is to drive you to hate him.  I stay cool and in a calm voice tell him to go to his room.  I tell him we do not speak that way in this house and you have to go in your room for a time out.

I don't care what he does in his room, as long as he is not in my face.  That is the only advice I can give you.

As for the Bipolar stuff, keep him on his meds.  He will be worse off of them.  I know I'm BP and have been for 30 years.  You need to try your very best to stay calm and I know that is not an easy thing to do, but it is best for you and the baby.  Before you speak to him, count to 10, this will help you begin calm.

If, possible have some one just watch him for a half hour to give you and half hour of calm time, daily.  Then, if all you do is sit in the car and blare music....then do that.  Just get away from him and your daughter.  Get away from everything, and do a ME thing.  Half and hour is not much, but take it and run. 

mommy_to_penut
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

yes I have been for 30 minutes a day let the two of them go play in the pool, my neighbor watches them while they are the pool. I have tried putting him in his room, and the onlything he does is tear it up. he has broke his bed down now, and he just keeps it up. the mother only gives me one med each time he is here so it dont help him when he needs both of them he used to not act like this. but he has been doing this worse since his sister passed away that was from his mom and stepdad. so now he is worse than ever. thanks for the advice anything will help even if I just count to 10 to calm down. I know what it is like to be off of meds and be the way he is but man it gets worse some times.

Quoting lcat:

What about sending him to his room, every time he does something?  At least this will give you sometime to regain your cool.

There are just some children that nothing bothers them, and you have one right there.  You can take his cloths away and he doesn't care, because he knows when he gets home, things will go back to his way.

Keep correcting your daughter, if you have to, send him out of the room, when you correct her.  Then, he will not be there to put in his two cents.

The 21st is not that far off.  Remember this, once you start yelling and going banana's he likes it.  The more nuts he can drive you, the happier he is.

I have a grandson, who if, I let him would drive anyone to drink.  But the one thing I do not let him do to me is lose my cool.  Because then he would enjoy watching Grandma going nuts.  No matter what he does, and this childs mouth is to drive you to hate him.  I stay cool and in a calm voice tell him to go to his room.  I tell him we do not speak that way in this house and you have to go in your room for a time out.

I don't care what he does in his room, as long as he is not in my face.  That is the only advice I can give you.

As for the Bipolar stuff, keep him on his meds.  He will be worse off of them.  I know I'm BP and have been for 30 years.  You need to try your very best to stay calm and I know that is not an easy thing to do, but it is best for you and the baby.  Before you speak to him, count to 10, this will help you begin calm.

If, possible have some one just watch him for a half hour to give you and half hour of calm time, daily.  Then, if all you do is sit in the car and blare music....then do that.  Just get away from him and your daughter.  Get away from everything, and do a ME thing.  Half and hour is not much, but take it and run. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)