Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling hopeless...will working out help ease these feelings?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:22 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am married and have a 2 year old daughter who hates to eat, has a slight speech delay, and gets into everything when I take her places.

I suffer from depression and anxiety. I take Zoloft and Xanax. Lately I have been experiencing sudden, intense, random feelings of sadness and hopelessness. Getting up and doing something usually helps ease these feelings.

I am overweight. 5'6 and 159 lbs. I feel disgusted when I look in the mirror. I am on a diet and its making me miserable but thank God so far I lost 5 lbs. I go to the gym off and on, and usually walk briskly on the treadmill for 30 mins.

Will this kind of workout help ease my depression, or should I go for a more intense workout, such as the elliptical machne?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lcat
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Hi, I'm Linda aka lcat.  First, your little girl is a typical 2 yr. old.  They are always into everything, so that will improve with time and only time.  The best punishment is time outs.  They seem to hate that the most.  For one thing they can't sit still, and it drives them crazy.  Do yourself a favor, if you do a time out, make it short or she will drive you nuts.  And you don't want that.  Also, the best thing is to remain calm.  Once she has you going banana's she is happy.  They just love it when you have st-upped to their level.  Yes, once we act nuts..they seem to know, now Mommy is my size.  

I'm a Grandma, and I have one grandson, who would drive anyone to drink.  But I always remain calm.  And I've had this monster weeks at a time.  So, I am a pro at handling a child who makes you crazy.

I also had three children in three years.  Yes, when I was young and completely crazy.  I was not a screamer, if I had been all three would of walked on me like a doormat.  And you can imagine, how much those three thought they could get away with.

What I did was stay calm, walk up and tap them on their back them raise my voice and say my famous words "GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!!!  Why do little children hate to have to go to their your.  I let them scream, cry have a fit, I could care less, as long as when they came out.  They were happy, again.  On the walk to the room, I explained why they were going....so they were happy when they came out.  I just refused to listen to the crying and all they were going to act like while in their room.

It worked for me.  They trembled when I raised my voice, because I never did.  When I did it scared the crap out of them.

I'm about 30 lbs over weight and I hate to look in a mirror, also.  If, working out seems to help the tension then you are doing good.  You should be proud you lost 5 lbs.  Remember, you did not put the weight on over night, so it is not coming off overnight.

One thing, you might want to think about is taking your daughter for a walk.  The sun light is great for depression.  It starts a chemical in the brain to function and that helps you feel better. This might help with your feeling of hoplessness.  If this gets worse, you need to talk to your doctor.  This can become a huge problem, and you don't want that.  That is why you talk to your doctor before things get worse.

Hope I helped some. 

Xantho
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I work out on my wii fit every morning for at least 30 minutes.  I feel much better about myself after I work out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)