Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

compulsive overeating

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM
  • 2 Replies

A Quote from Women Food and God by Geneen Roth

Chapter 6,

Diets are based on the unspoked fear that you are a madwoman, a food terroriest, a lunatic. Eventually you will destroy all that you love and so you need to be stopped.The promise of a diet is not only that you will have a different body; it is that in having a different body, you will have a different life. If you hate yourself enough, you will love yourself. If you torture yourself enough, you will become a peaceful, relaxed human being.

Although the very notion that hatred leads to love and that torture leads to relaxaton is absolutely insane, we hypnotize ourselves into believing that the end justifies the means. We treat ourselves and the rest of the world as if deprivation, punishment and shame leads to change.

When you no longer believe that eating will save your life when you feel exhausted or overwhelmed or lonely, you will stop. When you believe in yourself more than you believe in food, you will stop using food as if it were your only chance at not falling apart. When the shape of your body no longer matches the shape of your beliefs, the weigth disappears.

I can't tell you how much I can relate to what Geneen said in this book. I would like to go through her workbook "WHY Weight?" A Workbook for Ending Compulsive Eating. Is there anyone else that would like to go through it with me. I could use the support. 

Sharon 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Xantho
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I'm not a compulsive eater but will always offer you support here hun!

jazi1105
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Bump...I don't have any eating disorder, but I'm sure there is someone that can relate. I can still offer support if you need it, but I don't think I'll be too much help. *hugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)