Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Your Family a Help or A Problem

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

While in many of my hospital stays, I noticed how families treat a family member with Mental Illness.

There are a few kinds, some that are loving and supportive.  Really want their love one to come home healthy.

Others are controlling, overbearing and seem to want to know every factor of the patience's dealings/daily routine.  They feel they know more than the shrink and the patience welfare.

Then, their are the families that no longer keep in touch with the person.  These patiences are lonely and crave love.

Families can help and then their are the families that only hold you back.  What families say to you can be horrible.

Usually, they treat you as a child.  If your happy, the first thing they ask is, "did you take your medicine."  If, you quiet again you get, "did you take your medicine."

Family life is not easy.  You never know how to act around them or what to say.  They look at you like you a loose cannon.

Just because they can't figure out when your sick or when your not...they treat you different.  Others treat you different.  And no one understand what your diagnosis means.  They all avoid asking you about what went wrong or if you went to the hospital, they don't ask you about that either.

Families, can help......many do not.

Which is Yours?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Xantho
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM

My husband helps...he accepts my faults and still loves me.

Everyone else plays the "we don't talk about that" route!

lcat
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM

After 33 years.  My family are used to it.  I don't care what people think.  I'm bipolar and it is a disease just like heart, kidney  and such.  If, someone looks at me strange, I feel sorry for them. 

My children acceept it, their friends know about it and no one says a bad thing they all realize, I can't change it.

My own Mother used to be a problem, she acted like it was a hush hush thing.  But as she has gotten older, she has improved.

My BF really doesn't understand.  I have three friends that do understand and I can tell them everything.  I adore my shrink.  I trust him with my life and tell him he can never retire from me. 

jazi1105
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM

When I was going through my treatment, at first nobody knew why I was cutting and why I was so depressed. I wouldn't admit to anything, so my mom was naturally concerned...she wanted to know what was going on and what I was going through. She was very understanding. Once I got diagnosed, and admitted to what happened to me, my mom was still very supportive, and I knew she was disappointed that I hadn't told her sooner, but she never told me...I just knew. She is still supportive of me, and just wants me to be happy. She may not have been the best mother in other areas, but when it came to my mental issues, she was always there for me.

lostmom138
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Great post. I have no support. My SO tells me it mind over matter and that I should just stop taking the Xanax cold turkey. He makes matters worst for me. He tells me how do I expect him to support me when he does not know how it feels to have aniexty or panic attacks, so he can't offer support for something he has never felt. To make matters worst I am trying to quit smoking, but he refuses to even try. I don't smoke a cig all day at work, but when I am at home he smokes and it only makes me want a cig as well. I most of the time end up smoking 4 or 5 before the night is over. I just wish I had the will power not to. He is clueless when it comes to mental illness.

So to answer the question he is a problem.

pinklady77
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM

DH is very supportive. Boys don't say much one way or another. Parents cause of depression. But I have a lot of support from my friends.

Sharon

Surrender
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM

My family is supportive, but sometimes have to be reminded how and when to help. It doesn't always come naturally to them. I can be dragging my butt for days, laying on the couch and they think life is normal and ask "what's for dinner?" Go figure. And, I say, "I was hoping you knew" or "I don't know...go grab something." LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)