Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats your advice?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok so I was just diagnosed recently with bipolar and I am having more up days than I used to(I was just depressed for about a month straight) I don't think the medicine is helping enough all on its own. My psychiatrist like most I am finding out just prescribes meds doesn't do much talking. I haven't been on the medicine very long only a month so do you think I should try and see a psychologist on top of the psychiatrist or do you think I should wait and see if the meds start helping more. There are just days like today though where I feel so worthless and lost. I just don't want to be like this anymore but know what help I need exactly KWIM?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JSCC
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM

if you want to talk through things, then yeah, see a psychologist.  I am seeing both a psychiatrist and a psychologist ... the psychiatrist prescribes the medication and follows up to see how I'm doing on it; the psychologist is the one who talks through things with me, listens, and offer advice.  It would be much easier to work with just one person, but I guess that's not how they do things

pinklady77
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I go to both. I found I needed someone who could be a teacher. I needed someone who could give me direction on how to solve my problems.

pinklady77

Surrender
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I find that a therapist has helped me so much. Maybe you'd like to give it a try.

emarin77
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM

The best therapy is having both your meds and to see a therapist regularly; either a clinical social worker or psychologist.  Make sure both doctor and therapist work together on your case.   I have seen a therapist and been on drugs since I was 25 and now 33.  For the past year and presently  I went down to just using a Xanax for emergency times.  Before I was on 40 to 20 ml of Celexa for general anxiety.

stressed1172
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Yes a phychologist is a definite part of your recovery. Talking about what's making you feel the way you do is very important. This talk therapy helps you get it all out and process things and work through them. I've found it very helpful to my recovery. I used to be so closed up inside and afraid to talk and kept everything inside me that it made me sick. Once I started to really open up with a good therapist I felt comfortable with, which took me a while till I was able to feel comfortable with her, I began to make a lot of progress. Also I found some good frineds at church to talk with as well which also helped a lot.

casah4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Going to see a therapist is a good idea. You may also need to increase your dosage so talk to your psychiatrist about it. I'm on Lamictal & Abilify for my bipolar. I started on a lower dosage and still felt so depressed. My doc raised my Abilify dosage and I feel 100% better.

Xantho
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:45 PM

If you feel that you need to have someone to talk to about your problems then I would find a therapist that will talk with you about what you're going through! 

It could be that the meds haven't taken affect yet just depends on the person and the medication.  Talking works for some of us, and so does just writing everything down. 

GL and keep us updated!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)