Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pets??

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM
  • 345 Replies

Do you have any pets?  Do you feel that they help you feel better sometimes?

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2009/12/pets_help_mentally_ill_people.html

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM

we have a cat, sebastian. we've had him for 8 years, since he was 6 weeks old.  he doesnt calm me down, he makes me a nervous wreck. hes an old cranky cat who only likes my husband. im always worried about our 3 year old trying to come close to him and bug him, or sebastian scratching him. he has bad teeth and hes old so he can only eat wet food, which in turn makes his litter box (which i clean) stink even more. he is always trying to escape and when he does i have to go rescue him. i truly resent him. it sounds awful but i really resent him. he used to be an awesome cat, he used to take showers with us, eat dry food, his box didnt stink everday, he was playful and sweet. now he tries to trip me, he is always begging for food, even thou he gets 3 cans a day, he will make himself puke if he doesnt like the food and than beg you for more food. i wish we could get rid of him but he is my husbands baby.

annaica
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Quoting poshkat:

we have a cat, sebastian. we've had him for 8 years, since he was 6 weeks old.  he doesnt calm me down, he makes me a nervous wreck. hes an old cranky cat who only likes my husband. im always worried about our 3 year old trying to come close to him and bug him, or sebastian scratching him. he has bad teeth and hes old so he can only eat wet food, which in turn makes his litter box (which i clean) stink even more. he is always trying to escape and when he does i have to go rescue him. i truly resent him. it sounds awful but i really resent him. he used to be an awesome cat, he used to take showers with us, eat dry food, his box didnt stink everday, he was playful and sweet. now he tries to trip me, he is always begging for food, even thou he gets 3 cans a day, he will make himself puke if he doesnt like the food and than beg you for more food. i wish we could get rid of him but he is my husbands baby.

I can understand that taking care of an animal may feel overwhelming at times.  Every animal is different but my cats lay down or walk in front of me as well, they meow about getting fresh food and water every morning too.  That is normal... but 3 cans of cat food a day isn't.  That's too much and could mean some health issues going on with him.  Maybe he's depressed or sick or both.

poshkat
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Quoting annaica:

Quoting poshkat:

I can understand that taking care of an animal may feel overwhelming at times.  Every animal is different but my cats lay down or walk in front of me as well, they meow about getting fresh food and water every morning too.  That is normal... but 3 cans of cat food a day isn't.  That's too much and could mean some health issues going on with him.  Maybe he's depressed or sick or both.

the vet said to give it to him like that, breakfast lunch and dinner. he is a really high strung animal and has become more so since we had our son 3 years ago.  i am not a fan of his but he is my husbands baby, i would much rather have a hamster or a rat or a bird.

sexy......even in a dress

oorahwife2000
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM

YES!!!! i have 3 dogs and a cat and my dogs especially make me feel much better - especially when my husband is at work or gone for months at a time (he's military) they really keep me company and i don't feel so alone - and just during the day they keep me occupied and going for walks makes me feel better to, it's a reason to get outside and you can meet people just by talking about thier dogs - i think having pets is a wonderful thing :-)

abmm
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I just barely joined this group. But I have 2 cats that I dearly love. They know when I am feeling down and will lay with me and purr or just rub against me. Love them so much...

This is Spunky (my fat boy)

And this is Lou (we found him injured and homeless)-

annaica
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Quoting oorahwife2000:

YES!!!! i think having pets is a wonderful thing :-)

me too:)

annaica
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Quoting abmm:

I just barely joined this group. But I have 2 cats that I dearly love. They know when I am feeling down and will lay with me and purr or just rub against me. Love them so much...

What was wrong with Lou?  I bet it makes you feel good that you helped him out... How's he doing nowadays?

abmm
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Quoting annaica:

Quoting abmm:

What was wrong with Lou?  I bet it makes you feel good that you helped him out... How's he doing nowadays?

We aren't sure what happened to him.Possibly hit by a car or something. He had a big spot on his front leg with all the hair missing and he couldn't walk on that leg at all. It healed up nicely and he has become a big part of our family. He's sleeping by my feet right now. LOL

annaica
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Quoting abmm:

Quoting annaica:

Quoting abmm:

We aren't sure what happened to him.Possibly hit by a car or something. He had a big spot on his front leg with all the hair missing and he couldn't walk on that leg at all. It healed up nicely and he has become a big part of our family. He's sleeping by my feet right now. LOL

I love my kitties!  I have 2, the first was adopted and the second was a rescue... so I LOVE TO HEAR POSITIVE STORIES like that!  Human helps animal, animal helps human...

Sweet_Holly
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I have My Pitbull named Esmee

I Love her but she is a pita LOL

❤♥RawR أنا جميل RawR♥❤

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)